Close

Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1501

I'm going to be real honest about the depth of my reasoning for the IRS in Booger.

Reason number 1: Most importantly, I think it's neat! Lol. Booger isn't going to be a race car, though I might have some fun at the track a couple times.

Reason number 2: I got nothing here, look back to reason number 1.

There are little benefits to it, the weight distribution is better, better with pothole handling, etc.......

I also know it'll cost a bit to fix it up properly. That's Ok, I'll be spending a bunch on this project by the time it's done.

There's just something I like about the IRS. Besides, an SRA would end up being close to what I spend on this to make it comparable. With the PHB and torque arm, control arms, etc.....

My IRS is off an '03 Cobra, so it has 3.55 gears. I don't think I'll change them unless they have some damage after I tear it all down. I have a band new set of FRPP 3.73's sitting in storage just in case.

BTW, sorry about the slow progress lately. I settled into my new job yesterday. I didn't start working till after lunch, but boy did I have a lot of work! I'm one of those people that if they have work and are left alone, they're happy as pigs in fresh mud on a rainy day.

Today I had to haul all those mustang parts I had piled up at my old job to my storage unit.

Tomorrow I'll get back to Booger though. I think I'll go ahead and drop out the old 7.5. I'm thinking of dumping it in our scrap metal bin at work, is there any reason to save it?

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I'm thinking of dumping it in our scrap metal bin at work, is there any reason to save it?
    Someday you might own a boat which requires anchoring?

Lol .... 7.5’s are perfect for making a roller. And great for an older stock restoration.

there are many parts that interchange with the 8.8. Brakes, axles, etc.

other than that ...... I got nothin....

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Someday you might own a boat which requires anchoring?
    Ahhhhh a boat.....I wish Ed. I have to take care of the money pit first.

FEP Super Member

Please excuse the double post , this site sometimes goes wacky on me .
    Dave , the reason I I initially went with the irs in my notch , was because I had it , and I could .
    There is that neat factor as well , and no one else in these parts had one .
    After the installation, I was hooked .
    You will not regret it .
    3:55 gears are great for your application .
    I had thought of going deeper in the gear , but did not want to have the whine , when driving on the street , as this is a general purpose ride .
    Sorry to hijack your thread .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Please excuse the double post , this site sometimes goes wacky on me .
    Dave , the reason I I initially went with the irs in my notch , was because I had it , and I could .
    There is that neat factor as well , and no one else in these parts had one .
    After the installation, I was hooked .
    You will not regret it .
    3:55 gears are great for your application .
    I had thought of going deeper in the gear , but did not want to have the whine , when driving on the street , as this is a general purpose ride .
    Sorry to hijack your thread .
    Since you're here, I've got a question for you.

I'm going to rebuild the rearend before final installation. Full Tilt Boogie has a pricey set of bushings, are they worth it? Or should I just get a set of urethane bushings from someplace like Maximum Motorsports?

FTB seems to have a lot of upgrades for the IRS.

Kenny Brown is the only place I've found replacement tubular control arms. I heard their initial arms had problems, but I haven't heard much about their newer ones.

FEP Super Member

I went with the full tilt boogie , and used their tool for bushing removal .

I did something today. I wanted to do more, but I'll explain that later.

I dropped the old rear end out along with the control arms. Name:  IMG_4588.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  156.5 KB
    I got it half way loaded on my truck when I thought the best thing to do would be to tear some muscles along my rib cage on my back......

So I got my boys to finish loading it for me, like some old man......Name:  IMG_4590.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  127.3 KB

Luckily the next thing I want to do is simply scrubbing the rest of the undercarriage. I can lay on my creeper and scoot around underneath Booger scrubbing with a bucket of hot soapy water. It's a little dirty down there!Name:  IMG_4589.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  92.6 KB

But not today, I sucked down some ibuprofen and a medicinal beer and am watching the History Channel right now.

I think scuba gear and a pressure washer would be easiest and faster. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I think scuba gear and a pressure washer would be easiest and faster. Lol
    You are probably correct too! I don't have a presssure washer though........heck........I want one.

I'll go with knocking off the loose dirt with some brushes and red scotchbrites first, then the hot soapy water treatment.

FEP Super Member

Garden hose and a good nozzle, supper clean , not the generic .
    Have a broom to brush the debris and water out if the garage .
    I will mist the area first , not try to blast the dirt with water .
    Then use the SC full strength , have a medicinal .....( pick your position ), about 20 minutes , them wash with the hose .
    Go back and spray the SC again , and use a parts brush , and a bucket of water , with more SC in it , and let set , don't let it dry .
    Rinse .

Boy, if I power washed the back half of my car... not really sure what may remain

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Boy, if I power washed the back half of my car... not really sure what may remain
    Bwaahaahaahaahaa, yeah.......

The least expensive power washer I am aware of is at Walmart. $85 for a 1500 PSI unit. Electric so you don’t have to fight with keeping it serviced or running right. About perfect for cleaning up the underside of a car. Gets the crap off without removing what remains of the finish.

comes with a solvent attachment too. Worked fine for what I’ve used it for so far. Just don’t get it anywhere near mud when the lines are open. Spray tips are toast in no time then.

Spray tips are toast in no time then.
    ^Sounds like experience

I have a Greenworks Pressure Washer from Lowes. I can't remember right now if its 1800 or 2000 PSI electric. I like it overall. Not the most powerful, but quick and easy to use. Works great for cleaning the deck, sidewalks, etc. and the occasional engine bay etc. Not the most powerful, but does most of what I need. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Look for the rotating tip. They make a big difference over a stock fan tip

Today was my first full day at the new job. I got to tell you, I'm absolutely loving it.

No helpers, all the work I can do, and now they gave me a key to the shop! Early start tomorrow for sure!.

I've painted five cars so far and the management is very pleased with me. They just keep giving me more work and then leave me alone! It's Nirvana for me! Lol, I'm enjoying working again.

I promise to get some more stuff done with Booger soon. I need to make some money for a week or two to catch up. Then I can buy the MM sfc's.

This week I'll focus on cleaning the rear undercarriage and smoothing the eb when I can.

Getting my 56 year old body back into full work mode is going to take a couple more days though. I have to admit, it's very satisfying coming home worn out.

My rib cage still hurts, but it's not bad. Coughing sucks a little, but I'm healing already. No long term damage! Yay!

Today was my first full day at the new job. I got to tell you, I'm absolutely loving it.

No helpers, all the work I can do, and now they gave me a key to the shop! Early start tomorrow for sure!.

I've painted five cars so far and the management is very pleased with me. They just keep giving me more work and then leave me alone! It's Nirvana for me! Lol, I'm enjoying working again.
    That is excellent news! We're lucky when we can find employment like that!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

TGetting my 56 year old body back into full work mode is going to take a couple more days though. I have to admit, it's very satisfying coming home worn out.

My rib cage still hurts, but it's not bad. Coughing sucks a little, but I'm healing already. No long term damage! Yay!
    You have a couple of years on me, but I can definitely relate! It's not the years so much as the mileage!

I also can sympathize with the pain, I am dealing with a bum foot thanks to a torn off toe nail and a chemical burn. Definitely slowing me down and making things a bit more difficult! Hope everything heals up quickly and well, take care of yourself!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You have a couple of years on me, but I can definitely relate! It's not the years so much as the mileage!

I also can sympathize with the pain, I am dealing with a bum foot thanks to a torn off toe nail and a chemical burn. Definitely slowing me down and making things a bit more difficult! Hope everything heals up quickly and well, take care of yourself!
    Thanks Trey.

A torn off toe nail! GAHHHH!

Back in the eighties I lost a fingernail when I had a finger crushed. What intense pain! I still remember it even after over thirty years. I don't remember it fondly either!

I have to know now Trey, what in the hell did you do brother?

Thanks Trey.

A torn off toe nail! GAHHHH!

Back in the eighties I lost a fingernail when I had a finger crushed. What intense pain! I still remember it even after over thirty years. I don't remember it fondly either!

I have to know now Trey, what in the hell did you do brother?
    The short version is I opened a door and my back foot slipped as I opened it. That caused me to not be able to move my left foot as I was trying to not fall down and ended up pull the edge of the door across my big toe and ripped the toe nail off.

That was bad enough. Then my sister the RN told me I had to soak my toe in a bleach/water solution to kill any possible fungus/infection on the damaged toe. I resisted, but she insisted it would help it heal better. Unfortunately she told me the wrong ratio of 1 to 4 bleach to water. So the caustic solution proceeded to burn the skin on my foot thanks to there being too much bleach! WTH!!!!

So for everyone else out there the ratio is 1/4 cup of bleach to an entire BATHTUB of WATER!!!!!!!!!! NOT 1 to 4!!!!

So I have a 2nd almost 3rd degree burn on my foot right where a flip flop would sit. So I can't wear a flip flop to help with the healing. Wearing a sock and shoe just literally rubs off the scabs as I walk so it is painful as H#LL!!! Now I completely understand why burn patients are generally given Morphine for the pain!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The short version is I opened a door and my back foot slipped as I opened it. That caused me to not be able to move my left foot as I was trying to not fall down and ended up pull the edge of the door across my big toe and ripped the toe nail off.

That was bad enough. Then my sister the RN told me I had to soak my toe in a bleach/water solution to kill any possible fungus/infection on the damaged toe. I resisted, but she insisted it would help it heal better. Unfortunately she told me the wrong ratio of 1 to 4 bleach to water. So the caustic solution proceeded to burn the skin on my foot thanks to there being too much bleach! WTH!!!!

So for everyone else out there the ratio is 1/4 cup of bleach to an entire BATHTUB of WATER!!!!!!!!!! NOT 1 to 4!!!!

So I have a 2nd almost 3rd degree burn on my foot right where a flip flop would sit. So I can't wear a flip flop to help with the healing. Wearing a sock and shoe just literally rubs off the scabs as I walk so it is painful as H#LL!!! Now I completely understand why burn patients are generally given Morphine for the pain!
    You apparently fail to note that it probably didn't get infected!

Im laughing in a painful way over your misfortune though. Good night that sucks! Try not to slap your sister the next time you see her.

You apparently fail to note that it probably didn't get infected!

Im laughing in a painful way over your misfortune though. Good night that sucks! Try not to slap your sister the next time you see her.
    Well the toe didn't get infected, but my burn did!

So I ended up having to go to the doctor to get antibiotics and an ointment to heal the burn. So thanks to my sister I have a nice doctor visit bill as well as the pharmacy bill on top of the pain and suffering!

Trust me I am still thinking about smacking her!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller