Close

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    that blue matches the emblem blue pretty well

Nothing Ike a NEW crisp clear emblem against fresh paint
    I agree. It is nice how close the blues are too.

I got the headlight dividers shot and riveted back in. Back to being a 4i:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  105.7 KB

Default My Beautiful Rear Bumper

Got the "new" "good" bumper from the salvage yard today.

Just a reminder, this is my good rear bumper. Bright side, i can fix the damage on it. by this time next week it'll be a beautiful smooth kona blue.Name:  IMG_2049.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  87.9 KBName:  IMG_2047.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  80.4 KBName:  IMG_2048.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  91.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Got the "new" "good" bumper from the salvage yard today.

Just a reminder, this is my good rear bumper. Bright side, i can fix the damage on it. by this time next week it'll be a beautiful smooth kona blue.
    Wow, that's rough! That can be fixed??? Looking forward to seeing it done.

Did anyone else happen to think the sanded hood looks like an 80's album cover?

Name:  Album Cover.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  38.1 KB
    Last edited by rodster; 10-13-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Dave, you'd really be happier here in Portland. To help you make the move, there's a REALLY nice house with a HUGE finished shop for sale just down the street from me.

Really enjoying this thread.

Mike

Great progress with this and what a gorgeous blue
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Attachment 105647

Dave, what in the Sam hill are these tail lights? They don't belong on a standard fox, a Mexican stang, or even a Capri...

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatoscillator View Post
    Attachment 105647

Dave, what in the Sam hill are these tail lights? They don't belong on a standard fox, a Mexican stang, or even a Capri...
    They're just the standard '79-'82 taillights.

Ah. Yeah. Shows how much I know. Lol

Default Bumper Repair

So i got started on the repair of my bumper yesterday.

I focused on the tear mainly. Though i used my heat gun to push out the dent in the left side too.

I used panel bonding adhesive to repair the tear (3M# 8115). We have a plastic "welder" at work for repairing bumpers, but it won't work with the older type plastic in my cover.

Ill post a couple pictures of the repair so you can see what i'm doing. Chime in if you want to know why i'm doing what i'm doing, also if you have any ideas of how i can do the repairs better, I've been doing this kind of work for awhile now, but i don't know everything.

You'll notice i spread some of the PBA on the surrounding areas, i thought i would go ahead and fill some of the gouges close by while the PBA was still spreadable.

On monday i'll get after repairing the moulding area after i strip the paint off the rest of the bumper.Name:  IMG_2052.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  99.8 KBName:  IMG_2054.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  86.2 KBName:  IMG_2055.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  69.6 KBName:  IMG_2056.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  103.2 KBName:  IMG_2058.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  80.6 KB

Everythings looking great. I may need some of that in the future. Is that a really sandable product? Does it shrink much and if so is it ok to layer?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    Everythings looking great. I may need some of that in the future. Is that a really sandable product? Does it shrink much and if so is it ok to layer?
    It sands very easy.

There is little to no shrinkage, and layering it is fine, just sand the hardened PBA with a decent heavy grit sandpaper (~80 grit) prior to reapplying.

The big plus is that it's incredibly durable. The rest of the bumper will tear away from that repair before the original tear would ever open back up.

BTW, i use 3M's adhesion promoter wipes on the repair area too, i'm trying to establish a chemical bond that way as well as the mechanical bond provided by sanding.

One big thing to remember with this stuff is to wear gloves, it won't come off skin for quite some time (ask me how i learned that lesson).

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    It sands very easy.

There is little to no shrinkage, and layering it is fine, just sand the hardened PBA with a decent heavy grit sandpaper (~80 grit) prior to reapplying.

The big plus is that it's incredibly durable. The rest of the bumper will tear away from that repair before the original tear would ever open back up.

BTW, i use 3M's adhesion promoter wipes on the repair area too, i'm trying to establish a chemical bond that way as well as the mechanical bond provided by sanding.

One big thing to remember with this stuff is to wear gloves, it won't come off skin for quite some time (ask me how i learned that lesson).
    I need to do a repair also. I have a different brand repair kit but it doesn't mention an adhesion promotor in the instructions. I read you also used adhesion promotor on the front bumper cover prior to priming. I know you really don't need a flex agent with the quality of the new paint products out there but should one always use an adhesion promotor and does it need to be applied diectly to the urethane or will using it on the existing sanded substrate/urethane acomplish the same thing? Or is not really needed and you just did it for piece of mind?

Looks good and thanks for all the pictures and tips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

The PBA has no requirements for it either, though it's primary use is for attaching new quarter panels, bed sides and the sort.

I'll even use adhesion promoter before i spread polyflex on plastics. There is a noticeable difference in the feathered edge of the fillers i use when compared to not using it.

It's only needed on the bare plastic, if you don't cut through the paint and reach bare plastic you don't need it.

So, for the fillers, it's supposedly not needed. But i know for a fact it adheres to the plastic better when using it.

Be careful about flex additive, not all paint system automatically add it. You may have to add it as a separate component to your mix.

Default Bumper Repair and Primer

I finished stripping the bumper, repaired the mess in it, finished repairing the tear area and primered it.Name:  IMG_2061.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  81.6 KBName:  IMG_2063.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  99.9 KBName:  IMG_2064.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  62.2 KBName:  IMG_2065.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  70.9 KB

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Damn that's nice

Wow.... great job!

Glad to see the bumper repair job, gives me positive ideas about a rear cover I have, Everything on it is perfect with the exception of a penny size hole right in the middle of the molding on the corner.

Car looks great can't wait to see the completed project.
    1981 T Top Coupe Sold
    1981 Coupe Pastel Chamois
    1987 LX Coupe 1 of 47 Sand Beige
    1965 F100 Crown Vic swapped 5.0 5 speed

I got my hood back from the blasters today.....

They blasted the entire underneath surface and warped the crap out of it.

Damnit.

Oh well, spilled milk and i can't afford a new hood, so....

I had to start by stripping the rest of the paint off the hood and then replace the glue connecting the outer skin to the bracing. That helped a lot with the "tin canning" effect. I have to let this sit till late tomorrow before i can do anything else now.

I should have etch and primered before that, but my attitude wouldn't allow me to do what was right.

It really looks like hell. I'll post a picture tomorrow after i get primer on it, you'll see it better then.

Ill make it nice, it'll just take a few days of metal work before i ever get to muddling it.

So, picturesName:  IMG_2072.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  81.3 KBName:  IMG_2073.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  70.2 KB

Default Hood and Bumper Update

Work picked up and i haven't been able to devote the time to repairing the hood as much as i would like. I have the right side of the hood about as straight as i'm going to get it before mud though, it really shouldn't need more than a light coat of bondo. I've been using various hammers, dollies, and a couple electrical tightening methods on it. It probably took about 500 hammer strikes to get it where it is. The right side is nice and tight now, no "tin canning" whatsoever.

Im about done with the bumper though. I don't have a latest picture of it, but you will see it in the background at an earlier prep stage. I have maybe 30 minutes left of finishing prep work to do on it. It will look amazing, it looks like a new bumper now. It'll probably be tuesday before i shoot it. Monday will be a very busy customer vehicle dayName:  IMG_2080.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  87.1 KB

Default Blue Bumper

Got the rear bumper shot. Before and after;Name:  IMG_2047.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  80.4 KBName:  IMG_2048.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  91.4 KBName:  IMG_2091.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  101.7 KBName:  IMG_2087.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  86.3 KBName:  IMG_2090.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  88.9 KB

Nice!!!!

Wow this car is coming along great! The work you are doing is amazing and this car should be a looker when you are done. Well done!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Lol damn man
    That with the garage door closed inside (reflection haha)

It's crazy nice

Can't wait to see this outside in natural light

Holy cow but does that bumper look good! I'll be re-doing one myself in the next few months and this gives me a great start on this.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast