Close

Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eddo617 View Post
    Put an LS in it

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
    I've said it before and I'll say it again about that.
    Get the f$?k of my planet!

Quote Originally Posted by eddo617 View Post
    Put an LS in it

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
    Well......it will be a Loud Supercoupe.

A real update. The yard owner will sell me the sc engine and all attachments for $500. I'm more than pleased.

Next week I'll start plucking the t-bird engine bay clean! I figure it'll take me two or three weeks before the engine is out and in my garage.

So, pictures to come next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    A real update. The yard owner will sell me the sc engine and all attachments for $500. I'm more than pleased.

Next week I'll start plucking the t-bird engine bay clean! I figure it'll take me two or three weeks before the engine is out and in my garage.

So, pictures to come next week.
    SCORE!

I wish I could find one for that up here. I'm really thinking I'm going this route or the 4.2 with the SC Eaton for my Ranger.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I feel pretty lucky Brock. I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve right now.

I feel pretty lucky Brock. I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve right now.
    I would be too. I can't wait to see how this progresses. From what I hear the wiring is usually the royal PITA. After tacking mine over the winter, I don't imagine that it will be that horrible as it looks worse than it really is. Sharp pencils, plenty of paper, time and patience to map everything out as you go and it should be fairly smooth.

I got faith in ya brother.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I'm sure it'll be a little challenging, but it'll be interesting too. I could go with an aftermarket harness

I wonder if there is a Ron Francis + megasquirt combo for the 3.8SC. You'll have more invested in wire and ecu than the engine but it would probably make things wayyy easier.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    I wonder if there is a Ron Francis + megasquirt combo for the 3.8SC. You'll have more invested in wire and ecu than the engine but it would probably make things wayyy easier.
    Kind of what I was thinking.

If you go Megasquirt most of the engine wiring will be new. Pretty much just the injector plugs could be reused, you could get new ones of those. I had swapped a factory EFI with A9l computer into my '79 when I first got it running. Later I swapped in the MS with their harness. Wires are labled, just cut to length and add appropriate connectors. Water and air temp are GM, so you would need different connectors anyway. DIY Autotune has all the stuff on their web site.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Thanks Jess. Megasquirt is the way i'm leaning. When you say most of the engine wiring will be new, does that mean it'll swap out the old sc harness? I'm leaning toward a total rewire of the car.

Maybe you already know, but 4.2 crank/rods/pistons drop right in
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Yeah, it does. It's not forged though like the sc crank. I'm not going for a monster, but you'll think I might as I go through the build of the engine.

3.8 with a 10-15% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger, worked heads, forged pistons will more than do what I want.

Excellent, looking forward to seeing it!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Congrats on the great deal on the SC engine setup!

Here is the Ron Francis/Detail Zone wiring kit for the 3.8 SC.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MG-38
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Everything Mike1157 did wiring wise, you can do too. EDIS, injectors and boost work fine with Megasquirt, Megajolt, and all that jazz.

Its got the right crank sensor, and the rewire of the car (if thats what you wanna or gotta do) is easier with 83's because you've got acess to the EFI Turbo wiring and battery position. Or the battery can go in the back. And EFI Mustang tanks and what not, again, dead easy to raid something.

Your "do minimum" isn't much. Mike 1157 and the Plastic Tanker have got it all mapped out for you, but you can do less, and get a simply great result.

I'm dreaming of how a knockout paint job will gell with the hard mechanical edge of a blower and even fire V6....ITS GONNA BE EPIC.

Thanks Jess. Megasquirt is the way i'm leaning. When you say most of the engine wiring will be new, does that mean it'll swap out the old sc harness? I'm leaning toward a total rewire of the car.
    All the engine stuff will be new, except the wiring for the gauges. Maybe a wiring kit from Ron Frances could do the lights and other stuff on the car.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    All the engine stuff will be new, except the wiring for the gauges. Maybe a wiring kit from Ron Frances could do the lights and other stuff on the car.

Jess
    Speaking of gauges, I'm thinking https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7986MUSCB/D...n-Face-Blue-Ba

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Everything Mike1157 did wiring wise, you can do too. EDIS, injectors and boost work fine with Megasquirt, Megajolt, and all that jazz.

Its got the right crank sensor, and the rewire of the car (if thats what you wanna or gotta do) is easier with 83's because you've got acess to the EFI Turbo wiring and battery position. Or the battery can go in the back. And EFI Mustang tanks and what not, again, dead easy to raid something.

Your "do minimum" isn't much. Mike 1157 and the Plastic Tanker have got it all mapped out for you, but you can do less, and get a simply great result.

I'm dreaming of how a knockout paint job will gell with the hard mechanical edge of a blower and even fire V6....ITS GONNA BE EPIC.
    Mike will be helping me out with the MS electronic stuff along with a common buddy Steve.

Now that this is a no pressure build, and being 55, I'm going to do what I can to make this mustang just as sweet as I can. If it takes another three years, so what? Mike is just 60 and finished the monster. If I'm driving this blue beauty at sixty, I'll be smiling big.

It's amazing how images of what you think you wanted change when time isn't an issue.

Nice. Pricey, but nice.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Ok, I've been doing stuff, though not terribly impressive to look at, but vital to progress.

There has been certain steps I've needed to get done to move forward with this build.

One was to get my red car out of my garage. Check, it's in Stillwater with my brother now. My wife is "temporarily" parking in the garage which she foolishly thinks is hers. I'll let her believe this for now.

The second was to empty my engine stand so I could put the supercoupe engine on it. Check. My poor right fender and front bumper are dirty though.Name:  IMG_3402.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  91.2 KB

Third was to get a stout shelf to put all of the engine pieces on as I disassembled it. Check. Notice the little white plastic box? That will be perfect for keeping the hardware as I tear it down. I'll just use a sharpy to mark each drawer for the pieces in it. They're only like $4 at walmart, I'll get a couple for each shelf to keep track of every thing.Name:  IMG_3403.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  117.2 KBThe place where it's sitting will be reorganized to have the engine and shelving soon.

Fourth was to get a larger storage unit so I could bring my little blue beauty there (it's about two miles from my house instead of the other side of town). Check, got that today. I'll be moving blue car stuff there over there next week. So, I might finally pull my car out of the salvage yard this saturday, though it might be one more week too.

Wednesday I go pay for the sc engine.Woohoo! I'll set up a realistic plan for pulling it then. This is so exciting! I feel like a little boy with a hand full of Blackcats about to blow some sht up!

FEP Supporter

Ok, I've been doing stuff, though not terribly impressive to look at, but vital to progress.

Wednesday I go pay for the sc engine.Woohoo! I'll set up a realistic plan for pulling it then. This is so exciting! I feel like a little boy with a hand full of Blackcats about to blow some sht up!
    This part of a project is important to me also - keeping organized. As the project gets delayed and falls behind schedule, the lists and labelled parts helps remind us easily distracted and forgetful man folk!

My wife is "temporarily" parking in the garage which she foolishly thinks is hers. I'll let her believe this for now.
    LOL. Your secret is safe with us. We'll won't let the secret out of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    This part of a project is important to me also - keeping organized. As the project gets delayed and falls behind schedule, the lists and labelled parts helps remind us easily distracted and forgetful man folk!

LOL. Your secret is safe with us. We'll won't let the secret out of the bag.
    Soooooo.......how's your re-rebuild going? I haven't seen an update in what seems like forever.

It'll be hard to sleep tonight, tomorrow I pay for the sc engine! I'm going to take my ten hole wheels down there to mount on the blue car too, it'll be nice to see it out of the dirt!

I got a lock on my new bigger storage unit, getting ready to put the car in their.

I'll put more pictures up tomorrow, I intend to spray myself down with a half of a can of Off before going there, so I'll be able to hang around long enough to get some good pictures.

Hey, concerning the '94-'95 spindles to change to five lug, do they need to be from a GT, or are the V6 version the same? The yard owner has a couple '94's out there that are the V6 model.

Hey, concerning the '94-'95 spindles to change to five lug, do they need to be from a GT, or are the V6 version the same? The yard owner has a couple '94's out there that are the V6 model.
    Doesn't matter, the spindles are the same for all 94/95 cars, V6/GT/Cobra. The brakes are the same for the V6/GT with the Cobra brakes being larger obviously. Just make sure the spindles are 94/95. The steering arm will have a bend/curve in it for the 94/95 year models. The 96-04 steering arm is straight. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller