Close

Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

You could always drop the blower and put some hair dryers on that beeotch. Probably be easier to package all in with the room between the engine and radiator on a V-6. It would truly then be closer to a Buick 3.8. Back in the mid 90's we would take our 455 Regal to Bowling Green for the GS Nationals. I remember the hordes of black cars. And guys like Lawrence Conley. He had a teal V-6 Regal race car that would run in the 8's. One year he drove a GN from Humble TX and I think ran a 10.30 or 10.40. And had receipts to show he got 24.1 mpg on the way! Our methanol injected 455 sucked down about 3.5 gallons of methanol driving it to the staging lanes, making a 10.20 pass and driving back to the trailer!!!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I've got a m112 blower off of a 03-04 cobra if you are interested in stepping up in blower size. Would have to be a custom fitment, but I think you are up to the challenge.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Having spent 126000 miles behind a GM 3800 between 1993 and 2000, and being a Cleveland man since year dot, I see the Essex 90 as a delicate elchemy of the two engines.

SC 3800 or Carb/CFi 3.8, there's no big advantage in small size with the V6, as it has the front cover lengthened and the oil pump external, so all the advantages of the smaller bore spacings and lack of 2 cylinders evaporates real quick.

It was all pared away with those two Buick like inclusions.

The fan shroud on the I6 and V8 are the same, but on the 3.8 its a few inches deeper, but most of that is from the missing 182 thou between the bores, although the left and right bank aren't half a cylinder appart, unlike any other Detroit engine ever made as far as I can tell.

Very unique splay with the smaller bore

Here is the Essex 90 4.48" Motorsport block, made in the same Canadian Essex foundary transfer line as the 4.193.

It starts off so well.....stripped down, all "E's" have the same great looking compact block....

After you slug the timing gear cover and distributor and oil pump drive, it starts to get big real quick.

It then quickly becomes like Pinocchio's nose.

Its Cleveland style tall too, much taller than the 5.0.

Hey - bring on the Cleveland!

I tried to get to the donor car Friday, but the yard owner's grandson had a seizure, so he watched the rest of his grandkids so his daughter could be at the hospital.

Hopefully this week I'll get some photos of it.

I think I'm pretty well settled on the idea of the sc engine. I had wanted a 351 before, but knowing my personality, that would have spiraled out of control and the next thing I would probably remember is how I would hook up the parachute system.....

"Give a mouse a cookie......would start happening. I guess something like that could happen with the sc, but it's a little less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I think I'm pretty well settled on the idea of the sc engine. I had wanted a 351 before, but knowing my personality, that would have spiraled out of control and the next thing I would probably remember is how I would hook up the parachute system.....

"Give a mouse a cookie......would start happening. I guess something like that could happen with the sc, but it's a little less likely.
    Oh....it can happen with the SC also. Everything you need to get the most out of it is a point and click away at Super Coupe Performance.

I have almost thought about doing this swap in my Ranger when it's time to start its build into a runner. Something different is cool!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Lastly, I thought I looked good with the box......

Well, yeah, there's a good image starting thur Dave, but I thought you might do better with one of these

Hopefully not too over the top. You could add one way glass with a Xylene Wash and Wipe system for the Booth spray back....

Lol, VERY nice!

I finally got back to the yard. I cleaned the interior out of all the little crap that will get blown out of the car during it's relocation. I will be moving it to a storage unit about two miles from my house. Easy access for doing things to it. I was going to be putting the new floor in next, but the new idea changed the order of things.

While at the yard I snapped a photo of the donor engine. I would have got more, but the mosquitoes were eating me up.

The yard owner is figuring out what he wants for it. I'm sure he'll be fair, he a good guy.

I didn't check the year of the t-bird because of the aforementioned mosquitoes, but from the looks of it, it's at least a '92.

I will rob the engine bay of everything and bring it home. I'm preparing a spot in the garage to tear it down and store the pieces as I work through the engine.

So, a picture of the donor:Name:  IMG_3389.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  143.2 KB

Cool. I bet that there aren't to many of those sitting around in junk yards.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.

Yeah Jess, that's the truth. Oddly, he has four of them though. I just want one.

Im going to do something special with this engine. I really want it to be almost breathtaking when I open the hood up to show what I got.

Not to sound like a broken record, but, how are you doing?

So it is real!!! haha! I can't wait to see that OUT of the bird and sitting in your garage!!!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Me too Drew, me too. Gotta get the red car out of the garage first. Hopefully this week on that maneuver.

It will take me three three or four trips to the yard to actually pull the engine. The yard owner is going to pull the car out of the weeds first. Then I'll start stripping the engine bay. Lots of pictures and meticulous disassembly ahead of me.

Im pretty excited about it Drew. I want to see how beautiful I can make this engine look and perform and still have it for a daily driver.

That last part is easy. Great head bolts, great head gaskets, good tune, good gas and a LOT of boost!!! That thing will have some grunt with that roots style blower on it!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-into-79-Cobra!

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    plstktnkr2 has had rotator cuff and foot surgery, still has to provide for his family.

My wife has a torn rotator cuff...and based on the testimonies of others, the surgery and recovery its just cruel. She just works at a rest home toting the elderly and infirm with hoists and two people assists......if you've been used to swinging M16's, pry bars, monkey wrenches and sledge hammers, the post operative phase is very sobbering when you've got a family to support.

The plstktnkr2 SC 3.8 is very different....fitting eveything into a 3.8 block the very different and stronger F150 truck 4.2 Essex 90 internals. The work he did is 500% the work required for just a MN12 SC 3.8 swap. In addition, the stock 210 hp intercooler and the supercharger piping is just so nasty, there is no wonder these engines didn't grow in popularity.

A 100% stock swap lookes like this,

and is mainly wiring, but there are some major considerations you are gonna have to have on how you are going to pakacage A/C, intercooler, the battery, and the radiator and things.

Wiring....

And ancillaries location

in a Fox are very difficult with the labyrinth of EECIV, EDIS and intercooler "mainlines" back to the compact and light Essex 90 V6.

Just how you package this

Ford wanted advancement in design....the MN12 was very much an EA26 Austalian Ford Falcon with IRS type of car, with the same crowded engine bay. The Ford EA Falcon, introduced in 1988, might have bore a passing resemblance to the European Ford Scorpio, but under the skin, it was a watershed of Short Arm Long Sindle IFS, like the MN12 was. Ford used the Porsche 928 style IFS, and the best Jaguar style IRS they could build, both causing major intrusions into the unibody structure, and amking fitting even a 5.0 HO EFI or 4.6 liter Romeo/Modular V8 a real headache. The orginal EA 26 was supposed to be powered by an Intercooled OHC I6 like this.

The SALS EA26 and MN12 suspension system practically caressed the block on every car with that platform.

In 1989, everything had moved to Honda and Chrysler LH style cab forward, and Ford and Toyo Kogo felt that the future was packing T drive in lines into cars to make construction cheaper.

The MN 12 was the first fruit of that optimistic Japanization of the product line. Rather like the 58 Tbird, 61 Lincoln and 61 T bird, the MN 12 was a very tight envope with a very sophisticated body with truly lovely SALS IFS and that kick a$$ IRS. The engineer who did the diesing gopt laid into by the finance boys, but the car was basically as significant as the Square Bird was in 1958.

Aint no one givin it any respect!

Degree of difficulty is so great because all the Essex 90 engines are festooned with manitenance reducing parts, and although they were designed to be serviced, you've got a tight 4.193" bore center light weight alloy head engine laid so far back in the chassis, its a proper pest to upgrade anthing on the cold supply side to the blower. I've never seen a serp drive like it, nor have I seen an Eaton M90 blower install like it.

Ford sure as heck did the homeowk on this engine, but it innoculated the world from ever deciding to do another Supercharged V6, except for the GM 3800 L67 Eaton Supercharged engine.

Same kinda engine, same issues.

https://www.montrealracing.com/forum...RWD-Conversion

The Ford 3.8 SC stuff is unlike the Modular 4.6 and 5.4 Super Charged stuff, it can't hide the intercooler in an iron block with a camshaft and balance shaft in the intake....people use the 3.8 SC because its so smartly done.

Look at this! VW VR6 mit 7 psi 3.8 Thunderbird Super Charger

Now, I'm not sure if that post was inspiration, or warning.

I've got ideas for the placement of various things in the blue car. The radiator, a/c condenser and ic placement really looks like the most interesting.

Thanks for the link though.

FEP Supporter

Exciting times ahead! Looking forward to all of your updates Dave!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Now, I'm not sure if that post was inspiration, or warning.

I've got ideas for the placement of various things in the blue car. The radiator, a/c condenser and ic placement really looks like the most interesting.

Thanks for the link though.
    Inspiration.

Forewarned is Forearmed.

"Four" armed is twice as many arms as anyone else...

Knock em dead, Tiger!

Yeah Jess, that's the truth. Oddly, he has four of them though. I just want one.

Im going to do something special with this engine. I really want it to be almost breathtaking when I open the hood up to show what I got.

Not to sound like a broken record, but, how are you doing?
    Doing good. one more round of chemo, and I'll be done. Hopefully.

Jess
    Previously owned;

New User

I like all your work, but I'm not into the SC engine, sure if you get it for a killer deal yeah

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

I wasn't really into the sc engine either at first. I was going to go with a 351, then as I started routing that plan I noticed i was starting to go ape poop with what I wanted.

Next thing you know it wouldnt be a daily driver.

Another thing is I kind of like the challenge behind the sc engine. It's got so much crap all over it that it will take some real thinking and craftsmanship to make it look hot.

I'll find out the cost maybe today, and possibly head to the yard this week to start stripping the engine bay of the t-bird.

I for one LOVE the SC motor and even with some of it's shortcomings, it can be made to be a hellion and reliable. Yes.....it can be a headache and costly to get reliable power out of it, but it can be done with a little research and some calls to a guy I linked before. Ford got some things right on this one as it can support 1200 hp on the factory block. The sky's the limit with this motor with some time and money.

Getter done bud!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

New User

Just make sure first thing you do is replace the crank pulley with a quality product, Ford's are ****

New User

Between my family and I we had 3 or 4 SC all had the pulleys go bad

Thanks for the tip, a LOT of stuff will be getting replaced on this engine, that pulley included.

Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast