Close

Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Much betterName:  image.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  84.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    You made me laugh there. Maybe I need to try home powder coating?
    Check with Mike...I am pretty sure at some point in his road to assy on the Monster, he put something in the oven and had to buy mama something sparkly to get her over it!!!

I don't have the energy to search thru all the pages of his saga to find it.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Check with Mike...I am pretty sure at some point in his road to assy on the Monster, he put something in the oven and had to buy mama something sparkly to get her over it!!!

I don't have the energy to search thru all the pages of his saga to find it.
    His oven ordeal starts here. Damn hilarious read his whole thread is.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1741457

He didn't get caught on this one though..
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1635102
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 03-24-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Mike's a good guy that really can spin a tale. He'll be the favorite grandpa one day.

Default More Air Box Stuff

I tore down the fan today. I'll need to go get one of those, this one is a tad rusted up. I got a seal kit for the box from Classic Auto Air, and I'm really glad I did. It's a complete set for the box end to end. You'll see the replacement ones in these photos with the parts they go on. First, the fan disassembled.Name:  IMG_2823.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  95.8 KB
    Next the flapper doors in the box. Two of them have foam seals and one is made out of metal. The metal one was pretty nasty with rust. I got it all off after removing the seal. I have it coated with some rust converter even though it all came off pretty well. The flapper rods were pretty ugly as well, but salvageable. They got the same treatment as the metal door. The plastic one I just scraped off the foam and used lacquer thinner to clean off the glue. Notice the new seals in the one picture. They're an exact fit, I was pretty impressed by them.Name:  IMG_2810.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  154.4 KBName:  IMG_2811.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  87.2 KBName:  IMG_2817.jpg
Size:  86.8 KBName:  IMG_2818.jpg
Size:  88.0 KB

FEP Supporter

I got a seal kit for the box from Classic Auto Air, and I'm really glad I did. It's a complete set for the box end to end. You'll see the replacement ones in these photos with the parts they go on. ]
    Can you share a part number for that seal kit? I looked on their site and couldn't find it after a few minutes of searching.
    '85 GT

This kit was listed as their '86-'93 set. Though it fits perfectly for my '83

Anyhow it has an item code # of 01-196. I'll include a picture of my receipt for it.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  71.3 KB
    I bought this almost a year and a half ago as well.

FEP Supporter

Thanks!!!
    '85 GT

Default Heater Fan

So, tonight I washed the heater fan. It was very funky.

I tried all sorts of ways to try cleaning it. I started with a rag and got a good majority of it, fact is the water got so dirty that you couldn't see the fan in it anymore, seriously.

Then I tried an old toothbrush, that got a little more, but not the crud down in the corners. Then a bigger brush with longer bristles, nope.

Then I went to the garage to see what i could use. I eyed my little brushes I use for my beer making equipment and slapped mysel silly for even thinking that way. Then I spotted a 2.5" paint brush and thought, "what the hell? Why not?".

For anyone else cleaning their fan blades, this is what you want to use. It got in every corner, nook, cranny and everything else!

Here's a couple pictures just so you can see how good it worked.Name:  IMG_2821.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  104.6 KBName:  IMG_0500.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  94.0 KB

FEP Supporter

I love the attention every part gets Dave. I washed and cleaned everything as well along the way too! TLC goes so far!

It's cool that there are companies making some types of random parts like the one you got though!

I ended up using a closed cell foam sheet cut to make a gasket for my brake booster to firewall seal and brake splash sheilds. That's all they actually seemed to be when I took them apart.

Thanks Darren, I found that company by searching all around and finally asking our great mother ebay for help. She provided this company.

I bought that kit for my '86 GT, it's just convenient happenstance that it all fits my car.

Most of it is just that, closed cell foam. Laziness some times overcomes me when I find someone else will do the work for me. Especially for $40.

As for cleaning the fan and the rest of the heater box, hopefully this is the last time i'll need to have that particular component out of the vehicle.

I don't know if I mentioned, my wife got tired of waiting for me to get my son Andy a vehicle and got him a 2009 mustang. By doing this she has guaranteed that she won't get the garage back for quite some time. I'm no longer in a rush to get this on the road.

Whats that mean? Lots of time with every part!

Though, mind you, I just don't think I could stand putting those dirty parts back in my pretty little blue car. After reading your 1.0 build on your orange car, I think you get it. Maybe there's no help for us.....

Default Last of the Heater Box and Ducts

So I have finished the disassembly and cleaning of the heaterbox and all the ducting.

I had to disassemble the upper plenum, remove the blend door and scrub it. I have stopped using the dishwasher for the parts since several of these are really thin and the sanitize cycle might warp them. So I scrub the parts first with hot water and Dawn, dump the dirty water, refill and add a cup of bleach and more Dawn and finish the detail scrubbing. This seems to get them looking pretty much like brand new parts.

I didn't tear down the ducts that go to the vents on each end of the dash. I could get my arm in them without too much scraping of my hands and arms.

Tear down of the upper plenum and the defrost ducting was a little more challenging due to the staples Ford used in holding the sections together. NBD in the end. They had to come apart to remove blend doors and the ducting in the defrost section was too complex to reach all areas otherwise. I just need a big stapler now.

This is all of the parts for the interior HVAC now. Super clean and disinfected. I have a new heater core to put in, new a/c condenser, new fan resistor, new seal kit, and soon to have a new fan motor. I would've replaced the fan motor even if the old one worked (it didn't). It sits at the back of the box and would've been an incredible PITA to replace after everything is back together.

LMR is currently out of the fan motor, they seem to be the cheapest on the internet (though I haven't checked Rockauto yet). I went to Oreilly's and they can get me one out of OKC by tuesday. I'll just take the fan part of the box down to the store to see if it fits. It's only $33 from them. We'll see how it is.

So, pictures. First, the upper plenum before disassembly.Name:  IMG_2825.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  66.4 KB
    Next, tore down and getting ready to remove the blend door.Name:  IMG_2830.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  68.4 KB
    Defrost ducting disassembled and dirtyName:  IMG_2839.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  88.7 KB
    All cleanName:  IMG_2841.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  79.8 KB
    These are the parts I got cleaned over the weekend. Somehow this is exciting to me, the whole cabin HVAC will be new essentially (at least it won't smell old anymore).Name:  IMG_2842.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  71.6 KB
    The last thing I need to do is check the vacuum actuators for proper operation. I'll bring my little vacuum pump to work tomorrow and see how they are.
    I need to go get a few new clips for the box before I reassemble, some were rusted pretty bad. Trip to the hardware store ought to take care of that.

Defrost ducting disassembled and dirtyName:  IMG_2839.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  88.7 KB
    Even the cat looks disgusted being around those filthy things.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

He was just upset that I set them where he was trying to get a nap.

If the cat is like the one I used to have, he'll make up for you disturbing his afternoon nap by making a disturbance about 4am to wake you up!

Excellent work on the HVAC system. It's sanitized!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks droopie, I didn't get much done today. I check out the vacuum actuators with my little vacuum pump. They worked great, no leaking. One was a little sticky so I smeared a thin film of dielectric grease inside and that smoothed it up.

I have to go to my storage unit after work and grab my a/c evaporator. Hopefully I'll have a new fan tomorrow and I'll rebuild the box and then be onto my t-tops.

One little problem with that foam gasket kit I bought. The last blend door I pulled off doesn't have matching foam. Oh well, pretty high success rate with it up to there. I'll run down to Hobby Lobby, or some such store and find a sheet of the foam and make a set for that last door.

As a side note, We got my son an '09 V6 mustang to drive. This allows me to take more time on fixing up the coupe. Here's my youngest boy with his new car.Name:  IMG_2835.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  160.7 KBSo a win/win scenario, so to speak. I'll feel better not having to rush.

Nice looking car!

As a side note, We got my son an '09 V6 mustang to drive. This allows me to take more time on fixing up the coupe. Here's my youngest boy with his new car.Name:  IMG_2835.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  160.7 KBSo a win/win scenario, so to speak. I'll feel better not having to rush.
    Very nice. What a lucky young man!
    Leo
    1984.5 Mustang GT 5 Speed Convertible Originally 9W now 1E See the build here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vertible-build
    1986 Mustang GT 2R Jalapeno Red

Default More Foam Gasket Stuff

One little problem with that foam gasket kit I bought. The last blend door I pulled off doesn't have matching foam. Oh well, pretty high success rate with it up to there. I'll run down to Hobby Lobby, or some such store and find a sheet of the foam and make a set for that last door.
    So I looked and looked around for high density foam. No one had it. Then I remembered my toolbox drawer liners are high density foam, that made me think of drawer liner material for kitchens. So I was in Lowe's and headed over to their shelving area, and sure enough, I found a roll of thisName:  IMG_0509.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  75.5 KBIt's about half as thick as I need, but that's why God invented glue. I'll just double it up.

This got me looking for thicker foam, no joy at all. I was walking by the welcome matts when it hit me. We have some foam squares by the mixing machine at work to keep our toes comfy while mixing paint. They're high density foam! So I started snooping and found some there. They were available in many different colors and luckily grey. They wanted $20 for four sheets there. Luckily I remembered Harbor Freight sold these too.....for $8! They look exactly the same as Lowe's version except with a different label.Name:  IMG_0502.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  91.2 KB

Why do I need this stuff you ask? Remember the foam gasket between the heater box and firewall?Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  96.3 KBWhen I was pulling this off the heater box I realized how dry rotted it was. I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. I used these matts to make my gasket. The gasket is two piece and glued together. One thicker piece, and one thinner. The thinner is the exact same thickness of the matting. To make the thicker I glued two pieces together and then cut them to shape. The thicker needed to be thinned a bit. I had to use 40 grit sandpaper to cut it down, but I got it to size. I didn't quite finish, but I'm close.Name:  IMG_2849.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  64.8 KBName:  IMG_0505.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  77.3 KB

Default The Fan Motor Trials

Ok, so this is the fan motor that came off of my heater box. It's not seized, it just doesn't hurry to turn.Name:  IMG_2853.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  123.7 KB

So I stopped back at Oreilly's to see if they got the motor in. They did, it was so wrong. They wanted me to bring the above motor in to use the part number off of it to get the correct one. It worked, the guy there said it was for an '86 mustang, not an '83.......okwhatever, can you get me one?

Yes, yes they can.

But, you see, I ran into another interesting little tidbit along the wayName:  IMG_2854.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  118.0 KB

The guy is parting out this '83 GT and just wants 80 bucks for the hood and scoop. I'm jumping all over that, who wouldn't?Name:  IMG_0511.PNG
Views: 275
Size:  726.0 KB

Im not driving the car next week, the heater box can wait!

I have been reading through a couple threads in other forums with totally anal owners that went far beyond the normal resto. Now I feel like I need to polish something, since the obvious is a sin, I might polish the housing of the old motor. Seriously though, since I have to wait a week to get a new fan, I think I'll tear this bad boy down and see if I can make it run again. Maybe I'll paint the housing Kona blue. Yes, I know, but I'll know it's Kona blue!

There used to be a guy that had an electrical shop near me. I haven't bought a replacement starter or alternator for years. Now he retired and moved out west. Haven't went looking for anyone else to do work like that. I guess I'll have to learn to rebuild them myself.
    What I'm getting at is if the guy was still here I would have had the motor to him and rebuilt.

It strikes me as interesting, decades ago (oddly enough, the '80's) I have an electrical background. It would be neat to get this motor running again, the biggest problem might be the bearings. I'll find out tomorrow.

FEP Supporter

Nice find on the hood and scoop Dave. you put a lot of effort into the one that came off your car. Would you drill holes in it and save the work you've done or would you start from scratch on it?

I hope your son enjoys the wheels. My son never had good luck with his first mustang.

I know you were still thinking about the package shelf. Did you find anything?

I showed you the one I redid and the fabric I found. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1671055

I do not know if yours is the same sisal/fibre mesh as our 79 but this stuff was good enough and the price was right. I have enough left over if you want to use it too. Let me know and I can send some your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast