Close

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatoscillator View Post
    We're looking at a glx notch back with t tops! There were maybe 300 of these made. 1000 or so total t-top notchbacks from 82.5-83, but most of them were LX or L.
    1. There were more than 300 GLX T-roof coupes made. There were 376 just in the 1982 model year alone.
    2. There were 1942 combined T-roof coupes made in the 1982 and 1983 model years.
    3. There was no LX model in the 1982 or 1983 model years.
    4. Out of the 14 (so far) T-roof coupes that I have in the 1983 database, four are L, one is GL, eight are GLX, and one is unknown.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Door looks great! Wasn't sure about the modern blue but it looks really good. Looking forward to seeing the whole car in kona.

Yeah, I guess I didn't post it in show and tell though. Didn't want to drop too many posts about it. Lol

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vertible-parts

Guess I read your database wrong. I read 376 in 82.5 and 700 in 83 across all trims.

There were four bodies in 1982; P10 (coupe), P12 (GLX coupe), P13 (GLX hatch), and P16 (hatch). The 376 number from 1982 is only for the P12 body.

There were three bodies in 1983; P26 (coupe), P27 (convertible), and P28 (hatch). The 700 number from 1983 is only for the P26 body.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-16-2016 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Changed P15 to P16
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There were four bodies in 1982; P10 (coupe), P12 (GLX coupe), P13 (GLX hatch), and P15 (hatch).
    Isn't it P16 for the hatch that year? that's what my '82 GT's V.I.N. body code was.

Without looking, I want to say that 15 is the '81 Cobra only. All other hatches that year bore a different number.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Man, your post is blowing up! Nobody said a word about my $700 83 glx convertible garage find. ;(

But on to the topic at hand, as far as I've noticed, no one has mentioned something amazing about this car: We're looking at a glx notch back with t tops! There were maybe 300 of these made. 1000 or so total t-top notchbacks from 82.5-83, but most of them were LX or L. That is an awesome find. Even if the poor little essex takes a lot of modding to be a powerhouse.

On a side note: I went to union HS from 00-03. What part of Tulsa do you live in?
    Small world, I live about two miles from the high school, across the street from the ninth grade center. My son's a junior there and my daughter is in the ninth grade at Union.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I need the passenger fender molding behind the wheel , with that same red if you find one .
    I have an extra. PM me and we'll work out getting it to you. It has white stripes though, you'll just have to strip those off and pinstripe it red.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 09-16-2016 at 05:41 AM.

I finished sanding off the paint that was on the decklid. It had five paint jobs, it'll only have one now!

I sanded down both the fender and decklid to smooth out the media blasting and to provide the scoring needed for the primer. I etched them and put on three coats of primer. No problems with rust now.

If I can get into my shop this weekend, I'll get the bodywork done on these two panels.

I started doing the finish blocking on the right fender, didn't get it finished though. I had to take care of customer vehicles most of the day. I have two big paint jobs today, so I'm not sure if I'll get the right fender painted or not. I'll be blocking on it between coats of paint to try to expedite it though.

So, picturesName:  image.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  66.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  67.5 KB

For some reason, I don't have a picture of the parts in primer. I'm using a dark grey. I will use the exact same color for the sealer as well on all of the panels. I'm trying to maintain consistency with every coating I put on the panels so as to make the paint job match when reassembled.

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I finished sanding off the paint that was on the decklid. It had five paint jobs, it'll only have one now!

I sanded down both the fender and decklid to smooth out the media blasting and to provide the scoring needed for the primer. I etched them and put on three coats of primer. No problems with rust now.

If I can get into my shop this weekend, I'll get the bodywork done on these two panels.

I started doing the finish blocking on the right fender, didn't get it finished though. I had to take care of customer vehicles most of the day. I have two big paint jobs today, so I'm not sure if I'll get the right fender painted or not. I'll be blocking on it between coats of paint to try to expedite it though.

So, picturesName:  image.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  66.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  67.5 KB

For some reason, I don't have a picture of the parts in primer. I'm using a dark grey. I will use the exact same color for the sealer as well on all of the panels. I'm trying to maintain consistency with every coating I put on the panels so as to make the paint job match when reassembled.
    Just a Hint Dave.....(Unless you just like to do stuff over twice) Post it here first,.....copy, and paste it over there.

The other place will host the pics straight from a copy.

It's the Mike's way,.......It's the right way.

Just a word of friendly advice for busy painters trying to maintain two separate builds on two separate forums......

Thanks Mike, I'll try it, but I bet I screw it up

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Isn't it P16 for the hatch that year? that's what my '82 GT's V.I.N. body code was.

Without looking, I want to say that 15 is the '81 Cobra only. All other hatches that year bore a different number.
    Yes, it's P16 in 1982. My mistake. It was P15 in 1981 (for all non-Ghia hatchbacks, not just Cobra).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Yeah, I guess I didn't post it in show and tell though. Didn't want to drop too many posts about it. Lol

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vertible-parts
    Well go ahead and start a post in the Show and Tell section. It's a good place to show your updates too.

Wow, if that car could talk!

Default Blue Left Fender

I got the left fender painted today, before and after:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  164.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  85.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  109.8 KB

I started repairing the deck lid today too, I may be able to get to the primer stage tomorrow. Maybe paint by Friday?

Damn fine work. I'm curious though, that fender looks finished, are you going to give everything a final coat after assembly to ensure it all matches when bolted up? If not do you have any tips you can offer? I've had a tough time getting metallics to look right panel to panel in the past. I've tried to be consistant with my application, I've tried grounding my work but it always needs a recoat after assembly. Any advice would be appreciated.

FEP Supporter

I had the same question as BLUECRAPI about the painting in pieces. I'm a rookie and have read a lot and have seen other threads where the consensus seemed to be to spray together or at least in the same orientation as the panel would sit on the car if loose. But metallics were always tricky. If you get to answering can you speak to non-metallic one and two stage paint systems?

That panel looks fantastic! It's nice that the shop you are at will let you work on home projects in between the paying jobs and that there is time for it to get done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I'm fairly confident with this color in panel to panel match. My basic reasonings:
    1. They all will receive the exact same color primer and when I shoot them, I use the exact same color sealer.

2. The color (kona blue) uses a considerable amount of black in the mix. I really achieve coverage with three coats, but I spray two more as insurance. (This is an important one in my decision to shoot them separately)

3. I am spraying the panels in similar orientation as they will hang on the car.

4. I'm using the same series of paint guns set to the same air pressure for each panel.

5. I have an entire gallon of the color premixed to the exact formula from our computer.

6. I will be using the same clear coat for the entire paint job.

7. There is no metallic in the paint formula, the mica flake orientation is not as susceptible as metallic flake is to mis-orientation when sprayed. If I were shooting a different color, a gold or silver for instance, I would probably not spray the outer panels this way. So, color choice makes it likely that the panels will match fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I had the same question as BLUECRAPI about the painting in pieces. I'm a rookie and have read a lot and have seen other threads where the consensus seemed to be to spray together or at least in the same orientation as the panel would sit on the car if loose. But metallics were always tricky. If you get to answering can you speak to non-metallic one and two stage paint systems?

That panel looks fantastic! It's nice that the shop you are at will let you work on home projects in between the paying jobs and that there is time for it to get done.
    This being a pearl mix makes the paint match fairly easy in regards to differing flop issues from panel to panel. Mainly though, it's the amount of black in the mix that helps with matching. The black provides quicker and more complete coverage.

Solid color single stage as opposed to base/clear? Single stage can provide a slightly cleaner/deeper look when compared apples to apples.

While I do like single stage paint jobs, I prefer a base/clear job over them. If for no other reason than the UV protection. This car will be a daily driver when running again, so it will see plenty of sunshine. Plus the wider variety of colors through the two stage system is a good thing. And for buffing the car after it has been painted. There really are a number of reasons to me to choose a base/clear over single stage paint job.

As as for the shop being nice? I suppose they are being that. Work has slowed and I believe the management would rather I do this than to seek out a new job somewhere that might have more work. Plus my paint jobber is providing all of the materials for me to paint the car, from sandpaper to rubbing compound, so the shop isn't out any materials. I'm kind of being "sponsored" by Sherwin Williams on this car. They just want me to put a small SW sticker in the rear window after its done. NBD, I like their product.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 09-20-2016 at 05:52 AM.

I got my front bumper back from the media blaster today. They where able to remove all the paint down to the e-coat, I'm very pleased.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Blog Entries

I found that painting my car in one piece in my garage allowed the mosquitos to land on the top surfaces of the car, allowing for far easier wet sanding of their corpses! Lol. Nice work so far. Seriously, i wish I'd had my front fascia media blasted. I spent an eternity sanding it out, and the lines lost some definition.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    I found that painting my car in one piece in my garage allowed the mosquitos to land on the top surfaces of the car, allowing for far easier wet sanding of their corpses! Lol. Nice work so far. Seriously, i wish I'd had my front fascia media blasted. I spent an eternity sanding it out, and the lines lost some definition.
    That's why I went with these guys for media blasting, they felt confident about cleaning the bumpers up. It made my fingers sore just looking at the grille area!

What type of media did they use on the bumper cover?
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

Small world, I live about two miles from the high school, across the street from the ninth grade center. My son's a junior there and my daughter is in the ninth grade at Union.
    Small world indeed! Lol. My grandparents live around 41st and garnett. My dad lives just off of downtown.

This car's paint is coming along stunningly, but where does the vehicle stand mechanically?? Lol.

My dad has a 78 TA that's not getting much love since he had a brain injury a few years back. He sanded and primed everything himself, but I should send him to you for the final paint job! If he'd get up the courage to start working on the car again, it's worth like over 30 grand cherry. It's my birth right. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    What type of media did they use on the bumper cover?
    Honestly? I think they used "repurposed" sand, in other words, the sand off the floor.

The reasoning to me would be that it has been smashed into a smaller grain and not as coarse of a media at that stage.

at first this idea bothered me because I was worried about damage to the plastic. They told me to relax (we know each other), and it would be fine. They were right, I guess it's like painting, these guys are very skilled with a sand blaster.

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast