Close

Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Is that The Grudge peeking into the paint booth?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    BTW, That's an idiot ex-helper that's a painter now being a douche in the window.
    Tell us how you really feel there Dave!

I found a complete ford service manual set on ebay for $65, btw.
    You need to snag them at that price if it is the complete set. That's a smoking deal!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 03-02-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

It'll be a bit yet. I have the carburetor off my car right now too. Probably at least two months before I tackle the engine.

You need to get this ford service manual, it'll help a lot in that area. I found a complete ford service manual set on ebay for $65, btw.Attachment 109775
    Thanks man

Default Instrument Panel

I finally started the repair on the instrument panel. I'm only going to repair about three to four cracks at a time since the panel flexes so much.

I got the two that are visible when it is mounted, one close to the right speaker mount and a peg that broke off in the lower right that attaches to the frame.

Today I got the backside of the repair done, tomorrow I'll get the front.

So I dug into each crack and v'ed out the sides of them, then I made criss cross digs with a cut off wheel. There are a bunch of areas I can't get to with my die grinder, those are getting sanded pretty deep with some 36 grit sandpaper.

I used my drywall mesh tape like all all the other repairs, sprayed adhesion promoter and spread Panel Bonding Adhesive. The mesh tape likes to lift up because of the multiple angle the tape is forced in to. PBA takes several hours to harden, so during the afternoon, about every half hour I would stop and do a brief mushing down of the tape into the glue. By 5 it was all stuck down fairly solid.

To remake the peg I just sanded around the base with the 36 grit Use the die grinder to make an x cut down the middle of what was left. Made a form by using tape and I pumped it full of PBA.

Anyhow, here's some pictures of today's activity, you can see I used some zip ties to hold some of the cracks together while the adhesive hardensName:  IMG_2698.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  124.5 KBName:  IMG_2701.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  87.8 KBName:  IMG_2707.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  99.3 KBName:  IMG_2708.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  124.7 KBName:  IMG_2704.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  71.8 KBNot terribly exciting looking, I'm pretty hyped though. Tomorrow i'll get the front side. More interesting pictures then. It'll take every bit of a week to get this done. maybe a week and a half before it's painted.

Im getting the t-tops after this.

Default The Outside of the Dash

Today I got the outside portion of the repairs done. Here's a couple pictures of what i did to those cracks. I v'ed out the cracks, used my cut off wheel to provide some crisscross scratches Sanded the area with 36 grit, sprayed adhesion promoter and then spread some PBA. Oh yeah, I repaired that broken tab in the upper right as well.Name:  IMG_0468.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  89.5 KBName:  IMG_0473.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  101.1 KBName:  IMG_0471.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  108.4 KBName:  IMG_0472.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  93.2 KB

Default And This on the Dash

I did that last repair earlier in the day and i was able to do a little more before the weekend hit.

I have three pieces that have broken off. I started to reattach the surround piece for the right speaker. I have to get one side first and tape it to allign it. That'll bond over the weekend and allow me to get it completed on monday. I also fixed one side of the crack I have under the stereo.Name:  IMG_2709.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  62.0 KBName:  IMG_2710.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  72.7 KB

Just to add to your stereo info... your dash has already been cut for a din style stereo.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll be to that stage in about three months!

Default More IP

I reattached the other two pieces that were broken off, I'm running out of cracks to fix! I have a couple tabs that are broken off and lost to time, so i'll be making them with the Panel Bonding Adhesive. Here's some pictures of the repairs, ask me any questions you might have.Name:  IMG_2712.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  80.4 KBName:  IMG_2714.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  99.2 KBI filled in that broken out area with PBA. When I start cleaning up all of these repair areas I'll use my dremel tool to make the holes in itName:  IMG_2717.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  82.2 KBName:  IMG_2718.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  95.2 KBYou can see in this picture that the two center posts on the left defroster area are gone, I'll make new ones tomorrow using the mesh and PBAName:  IMG_2719.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  92.4 KB

Default T-tops

I got back out to the yard again today. Beautiful weather, 80* and sunshine.

I picked up my t-tops and the trim and cross bar surrounding them. I also got a left 1/4 window trim off another 4i'd coupe at the yard.

I'll post pictures of those parts tomorrow, it's too dark now. I did get a couple pictures of how the old boy looks right now though. I used crash wrap to cover the t-top openings, not that there's much of anything left to hurt inside now. I may need to replace those seals.Name:  IMG_2725.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  128.2 KBName:  IMG_2726.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  85.2 KBName:  IMG_2727.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  84.3 KBName:  IMG_2733.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  165.8 KBOne last picture of three cars I love. I really, really want that '58 ranchero. Could it be considered a 4i'?Name:  IMG_2729.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  186.7 KB

FEP Supporter

I got back out to the yard again today. Beautiful weather, 80* and sunshine.
    I hate you for that! It's snowing and in a late winter cold snap here until Monday!!! It's -20°C right now and not above freezing until Monday
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I hate you for that! It's snowing and in a late winter cold snap here until Monday!!! It's -20°C right now and not above freezing until Monday
    No kidding? We've had one of the warmest winters that I can remember. The coldest day we had here was when I pulled the instrument panel, that was 10*.

Canada is just a little farther north though huh?

You got to have a heated garage there.

Default I Need Your Opinions

Now that I have the t-top stuff, I'm wondering if I should paint the outside trim the original black or go with my trim grey.

I'm leaning towards the grey.Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  95.3 KBI'll be painting them within the next few days.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'll post pictures of the parts in just a little bit today so you can understand the exact parts I'm speaking of.

Parts pictureName:  IMG_2737.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  75.2 KB

Is that just butyl holding the glass to the edge? How do you get it off? Heat it a little bit maybe?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  74.7 KB

I say paint the t-top trim the same color as the other trim.
    I wish I could tell you if it is jet butyle but I'm not sure. It certainly looks like it.

I bought the t-top repair manual from LMR, if you need any info from it.

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Thanks Jeremy, I was wondering about removing the glass from the trim bracket thingy. My glass guy will be back Monday, I'll ask him too.

Thanks Jeremy, I was wondering about removing the glass from the trim bracket thingy. My glass guy will be back Monday, I'll ask him too.
    It's mainly a repair manual for Seals and what not. Also for window adjustment. Let me know if you want any info from it. I can scan it and email it.

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Default T-top Stuff

Today I stripped the t-top mouldings and sanded the left 1/4 glass trim. Then I etched them and primered them.Name:  IMG_2744.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  67.3 KBName:  IMG_2745.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  72.5 KB

So for those of us that want to know, is the ttop glass just held in by butyle or is there more to it?

Good question. I'm not sure beyond just the force of the slot it's in. I tried to take it off the trim, big no go there. I suppose I could probably eventually coax it off of it, but there's a chance I would break the glass. So it'll stay. I did clean one of the tops today with some windex and 0000 steel wool. Who knew you could see through that glass? It looks so nice! Boy I can't wait to drive this car.Name:  IMG_2746.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  89.7 KB
    The driver's side will be swapped with another top from the yard. There's a chip in it. The yard owner said I could swap out for a good one. He's a really good guy.
    I also got the trim painted today the usual trim grey and same sheen as the rest of the trim. One picture using my sun lamp just to show the grey.Name:  IMG_2748.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  74.7 KBName:  IMG_2749.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  62.6 KB
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 03-14-2017 at 07:09 PM.

That's going to be one fine ride. I am in awe of the attention to details!!!! I wish I could do that!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks brother. Today I'll finish cleaning up the right top and get it painted. I need to dig out my new seals to reassemble it afterwards....As you know droopie, I have someone giving me practically new black interior trim pieces for the tops. Yay!

I'll get back on the dash today too. I'm wanting to finish that up. Anyone know of a reason that i shouldn't paint the frame for it? Any grounding problems I need to think of first?

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992
    Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992
    It's mainly a repair manual for Seals and what not. Also for window adjustment. Let me know if you want any info from it. I can scan it and email it.
    Is it this one? ...

FEP Library > Technical/Service/Repair Manuals > T-Roof Waterleak Repair Manual
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast