Close

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Hard to tell the separation of colors from the pictures, but they are there looking close. I bet it looks sharp in person though. Another awesome creation.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Everything's looking great. I can't wait to see the progress when you pull the rest of the car out of the yard.

Default Door Panels And Tailights

Hummmmm. I put the new dew wipes on and put the lock rod ring on. That chrome sure looks nice.....damn. So, I might be getting some chrome transfer tape to put on those mouldings I painted blue and grey. I don't know yet.

I did get after the taillights. The right side had a small crack that I used some crazy glue to repairName:  IMG_2552.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  103.6 KB
    I then sanded the lense down with 400 grit and clearcoated it. It turned out so much better than I thought it would. I will repaint the black trim on it next Monday. I also cleaned up the housing and gave the black area a couple coats of paint. I will get a can of that "chrome in a can" spray paint to do the lenses area. Here it is with the unfinished oneName:  IMG_2558.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  100.2 KB

Since I was feeling so industrious, I went ahead and tore the other light down and did essentially the same thing to it. Boy it's pretty.Name:  IMG_2561.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  134.6 KBName:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  124.7 KB

I have been reading this thread almost daily since you started this project. I must say I am impressed. I admire you for making due with what you have. My Uncle Frank, who taught me a lot about cars, always believed a real mechanic is a person that fixes things instead of just being a "parts replacer" as he called them. Because if him, I try and fix it first before just going out and spending the money on a new part. You sir are the real deal. You take it to a whole new level. Nice work!
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I have been reading this thread almost daily since you started this project. I must say I am impressed. I admire you for making due with what you have. My Uncle Frank, who taught me a lot about cars, always believed a real mechanic is a person that fixes things instead of just being a "parts replacer" as he called them. Because if him, I try and fix it first before just going out and spending the money on a new part. You sir are the real deal. You take it to a whole new level. Nice work!
    Thanks a lot for the compliment. This is really fun for me though. I'm not anything special, i just really dig this stuff.

We'll see about this real deal stuff shortly.......I've been studying wiring harnesses . I think i can do it, the learning curve is already starting to feel less intimidating.

I really do appreciate y'all's interest. This is fascinating to me, not too much for the surrounding people around me. How can you not like a 4i though?

I like the tail lights in CC. I've seen a few people do that in the past but never tried it personally.

JT

Just went through this entire thread. I love the color, looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished car. Makes me kinda wish I had more patience for paint and body work.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    Just went through this entire thread. I love the color, looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished car. Makes me kinda wish I had more patience for paint and body work.

Jess
    Thank you Jess! How are you doing, btw?

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    I like the tail lights in CC. I've seen a few people do that in the past but never tried it personally.

JT
    Jeez JT, this was a nice break from the other stuff. Easy peasy.

Those tails look so nice! Never thought about super glue then sanding for repair. Good to know for the future! Keep up the great work with your Stang! She's gonna be so purdy!

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

The Tail lights look great!

I started doing that back in the late 90's when I was restoring SVO's They always needed the pinstripes redone on the tails and burying them under clear coat seemed to be the best way to protect them and make the lights look new! Holds up really well to over the years and SO much cheaper than replacing the lens.

Car is coming along really well!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great job! I've been watching this build with a lot of interest! Can't wait to see it really pay off!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks y'all. Monday i'll take care of the black on the lenses.

I should be getting the mirrors and glass trim done this coming week. I was thinking of painting the door handles the trim grey, what do you think? Maybe even the new lock cylinders, i haven't given it gobs of thought yet.

Damn I wish I wasn't 6 1/2 hours north of you! I think between the 2 of us we could get this thing done in a few weeks.

I wish I wasn't in a motivational slump, I need to get moving faster on mine.

Keep up the awesome work sir!
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Damn I wish I wasn't 6 1/2 hours north of you! I think between the 2 of us we could get this thing done in a few weeks.

I wish I wasn't in a motivational slump, I need to get moving faster on mine.

Keep up the awesome work sir!
    Thanks for the compliment.

It's lucky for me that my boss doesn't mind me working on these parts in between customer vehicles at work, that helps me a lot.

I think not actually seeing the car everyday helps as well, oddly enough. I don't have to see the big picture everyday, i might get a little overwhelmed with all that needs to be done. I just bring in a few pieces at a time and fix them. I can really focus on the individual pieces that way too.

After this last big trip for parts, it was tough to focus on which thing to do next. So I just pick a project and do it.

One thing i've learned too is that there are a bunch of parts on this little car!

So, if i'm able to offer any advice, that would be it. Pick the next thing and do it as close to all the way through as you can. That "seems" to be working for me right now.

Default Wiring

Hummmm......?https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP%2D790

Would this replace everything?

Taillights came out really nice.

Did you use a 2k clear?

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Taillights came out really nice.

Did you use a 2k clear?
    Yes Sir. It's our fastest clear. Hardens in about ten minutes, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Thank you Jess! How are you doing, btw?
    A little better each day. Thanks.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Hummmm......?https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP%2D790

Would this replace everything?
    Yes and No.

I have an older style Ron Francis in my PC and I have installed probably a dozen or so of their kits over the years. The kit will replace all your electrical parts and pieces, but you will need to keep some of your OEM connectors and pieces to make it all work. Ron Francis does provide all the connections/pigtails for the steering column, ignition switch, turn signals, etc. They can provide the proper connections for Duraspark, or other ignitions, as well as the correct alternator/regulator pigtails. They have a great picture reference that allows you to match up all your connections with your car when ordering the kit.

The issue will be that they don't provide any tail light sockets, turn signal sockets, etc. They do provide the 4 eye headlight pigtails. You will have to reuse your instrument cluster pigtails, HVAC pigtails, PW/PL pigtails, and some other items such as specific engine pigtails. Many of these are reproduced and don't have to be reused, but some others are not available.

I personally will be installing this kit https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AC-67 in my 82 GT once I get going again on it. I have chosen that style due to the remote access fuse panel. That will allow me to either mount the panel in the original fuse location or just be able to pull it done when needed. The RF wiring is a larger panel than the OEM fuse panel and does require some planning on where to fit it. The older style unit that I have in my PC was HUGE and required that I install it in my passenger kick panel.

The instructions they provide and very detailed and very thorough, but it can be a long and tedious process, especially if you aren't an electrical Guru. Their tech line is a huge help and I have never had any issues with their products. Honestly I have wired up both RF and Painless and I will never use Painless again as their kit was anything but PAINLESS in my experience and I was less than pleased with their instructions and overall quality. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further or have other questions.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hummmmm. I put the new dew wipes on and put the lock rod ring on. That chrome sure looks nice.....damn. So, I might be getting some chrome transfer tape to put on those mouldings I painted blue and grey. I don't know yet.

I did get after the taillights. The right side had a small crack that I used some crazy glue to repairName:  IMG_2552.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  103.6 KB
    I then sanded the lense down with 400 grit and clearcoated it. It turned out so much better than I thought it would. I will repaint the black trim on it next Monday. I also cleaned up the housing and gave the black area a couple coats of paint. I will get a can of that "chrome in a can" spray paint to do the lenses area. Here it is with the unfinished oneName:  IMG_2558.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  100.2 KB
    Can you give us amateurs a little tip on how to do this? I've always wonder HOW do you sand them? I got the 400 grit part...Wet? Do you sand in straight lines or circles? I picked up a good set of used tails and I want to take them apart and refinish the reflector part and then restore the lenses like you did.
    Thanks!

Drew
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Can you give us amateurs a little tip on how to do this? I've always wonder HOW do you sand them? I got the 400 grit part...Wet? Do you sand in straight lines or circles? I picked up a good set of used tails and I want to take them apart and refinish the reflector part and then restore the lenses like you did.
    Thanks!

Drew
    I used my DA sander while at work. By hand i would wet sand them with 500 grit probably, more of a circular sanding motion as well since straight line blocking has a tendency of coming back as the material naturally shrinks up.

Did you just join up at stangnet?

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Yes and No. .
    Thanks Trey, that's exactly what i was needing to know.

I finally have been sitting down with some light readingName:  image.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  90.0 KB

As I go through this, I'm thinking about how much I can do to my wiring harness.

It would be easier, i think, to just have a new harness from RF and make it work. Otherwise i'll need to get spools of the properly colored wires and and do the dirty swapping deed.

The connectors would be nice to replace pretty much all the way through since the old ones are so brittle.

I've got to try to curtail my anal side. This could take some time.

I'm about to go off the deep end, aren't I?

Thanks Trey, that's exactly what i was needing to know.

I finally have been sitting down with some light readingName:  image.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  90.0 KB

As I go through this, I'm thinking about how much I can do to my wiring harness.

It would be easier, i think, to just have a new harness from RF and make it work. Otherwise i'll need to get spools of the properly colored wires and and do the dirty swapping deed.

The connectors would be nice to replace pretty much all the way through since the old ones are so brittle.

I've got to try to curtail my anal side. This could take some time.

I'm about to go off the deep end, aren't I?
    YUPO! I'm at the same crossroads as I'm faced with bad splices, brittle connectors and some crispy wiring. Part of me says "RELAX and REPAIR" the other part of me says "BUY IT and BE DONE". BUTTTT....the problem is I'm so far over budget and I keep finding things that need replaced that I'm not sure that I can justify the cost of a total electrical upgrade as I need to replace other items.

I need to sell a couple carbs and odds and ends and then maybe I can upgrade things. Until then, I might wanna chill as the wife has been cool with things so far but I think she might be on the edge of cracking if the budget goes too much further over.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 01-30-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Thanks!

Drew
    I always just wet sand mine with 400 grit by hand. I use a backing pad to prevent finger marks, but I just scuff them up. I also use a Grey Scotchbrite pad to make sure I get all the nooks and crannies. I am actually refurbishing a set of 83-86 tails myself right now for my Road Racer. Maybe I will post a thread on the whole thing for others.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller