Close

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Default Driver's Seat Bottom

The last thing was the assembly of the seat bottom (which I'm sitting on as I type this!)

I had to make new listing rods for it since the old ones were completely wasted away. I glued some more plastic to the bolsters and to the foam front.Name:  IMG_2503.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  60.3 KB Then I used those new listing rods to hog ring the cover to the foam and fitted it all to the repaired base.

Here's a before and after shot.Name:  IMG_2390.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  85.9 KBName:  IMG_2505.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  87.9 KBName:  IMG_2506.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  86.6 KB

I need y'all's opinion. I'm getting ready to spray the vinyl for the door panel. I was thinking of painting the two chrome strip areas the same grey as the trim grey.
    What do you think?Name:  IMG_2510.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  87.9 KB

I like the trim grey idea for the chrome.

I believe I'll wait until I have the vinyl mounted on it's new backer before i paint it. I don't want to stretch it so much that I crack the paint.

Default Driver's Seat Done

I finally finished the driver's seat todayName:  IMG_2515.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  72.3 KBName:  IMG_2516.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  63.5 KB
    Tomorrow I'll start to reassemble the door panels.

Default Driver's Door Panel

I also started working on the driver's door panel after i finished the seat.

I used rivets, washers and panel bonding adhesive to attach the new panel to the metal upper.Name:  IMG_2517.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  118.7 KB

I drilled out nine holes for my nine rivets i was using. Then sanded the surface with some 80 grit to give the pba something to bite into.

I ran a bead of pba along the attaching edge.Name:  IMG_2518.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  83.4 KB

Then i riveted it and used a little extra pba to fill in the extra holes. These panels are NOT separating!Name:  IMG_2519.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  96.1 KBName:  IMG_2520.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  84.9 KB
    Tomorrow i'll do a little trimming and attach the vinyl to the panel and get it stapled and glued in. Once i have the passenger side done, i'll paint the panels. I have an idea for the paint that i think will be tasteful, yet kind of nice. I'll show you what it looks like then. It'll be wednesday or thursday before i shoot them.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 01-23-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Default Passenger Side

I don't have a lot of time today so I thought I would hook up the passenger side today. I'll lay out the vinyl on both panels tomorrow.Name:  IMG_2521.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  93.1 KBName:  IMG_2523.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  83.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  93.2 KB

Hey Dave, have you figured out what to use for the gasket behind the door mirrors yet? I know this is a bit ahead of your stage, but I'm curious as I need to do something there also.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Hey Dave, have you figured out what to use for the gasket behind the door mirrors yet? I know this is a bit ahead of your stage, but I'm curious as I need to do something there also.
    Not yet, I'll give it some thought soon though.

Thus is such a cool life saving build. Way to save this car! It's gonna be better than new.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTRAG View Post
    Thus is such a cool life saving build. Way to save this car! It's gonna be better than new.
    Thanks, i don't know if i would have gone so crazy over my '86. This is probably my only chance to have a t-top coupe. So I kind of gotta!

Default Door Panel Vinyl

I got the vinyl stapled and glued to my new backing panels today. Maybe I'll get them painted tomorrow. Depends on my customer workload.Name:  IMG_2532.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  76.7 KBName:  IMG_2535.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  89.9 KB
    I also got my new dew wipes in, aren't they nice?Name:  IMG_2529.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  99.6 KB

Exclamation Crap!

So I thought I would bring the carpet pieces to work with me today to see how they would look on the door panels.

They're too tall by about a half of an inch. One more difference between our cars and the areo style.

I can either cut and sew again, or just cover up the bottom stripe with them as they are.Name:  IMG_2536.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  106.0 KB

nice build. following

Gotta follow this one

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Alright, I'm done being a seamstress. I ordered new carpets.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    loling at that...
    '85 GT

Default GLX Emblem

Here's a small one for you. I think I'm going to paint the trunk GLX emblem green in it's center. The same green used on the hood GLX of course. What do y'all think? Sound stupid? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  111.2 KB

You did it longer than I would have had patience for.

Here's a small one for you. I think I'm going to paint the trunk GLX emblem green in it's center. The same green used on the hood GLX of course. What do y'all think? Sound stupid?
    I think that will be a good idea. It will give it a little symmetry from the front to the back.

A bit off topic but along the same lines. I really want to refurbish my Marchal covers and when it comes to the cat head and lettering, I want to do it body colored instead of white. I have tried a few times to do it but it ends up coming out looking like crap. I got about the same results as the PO that tried refurbishing them also.

I'm about ready to abandon that idea and just leave the whole cover black.

Name:  0110171757.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  78.0 KBName:  0110171758.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  88.1 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 01-26-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Brock

You did it longer than I would have had patience for.

I think that will be a good idea. It will give it a little symmetry from the front to the back.

A bit off topic but along the same lines. I really want to refurbish my Marchal covers and when it comes to the cat head and lettering, I want to do it body colored instead of white. I have tried a few times to do it but it ends up coming out looking like crap. I got about the same results as the PO that tried refurbishing them also.

I'm about ready to abandon that idea and just leave the whole cover black.

Name:  0110171757.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  78.0 KBName:  0110171758.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  88.1 KB
    Yeah, that's a pita. You need a steady hand and a touch up brush. Use a small one with a relatively minimal brush length to aid in control of the flow and steadiness of your brush stroke. Though you might consider getting a paint pen with a color close to your car's color, that would be the easiest.

Yeah, that's a pita. You need a steady hand
    I need to read no further. I can make an amazing TIG weld by doing nothing but rotating the pipe. Steady hand and small detail is not one of my strong points.
    Brock

I need to read no further. I can make an amazing TIG weld by doing nothing but rotating the pipe. Steady hand and small detail is not one of my strong points.
    Lol, drink a shot of Booker's whiskey first, wait five minutes and proceed. Or get your wife to do it for you.

Default Painted Door Panels

I painted the door panel vinyl black today. I finished with my half an eggshell finish. I decided that the mouldings needed to be glossy though.
    So i'll get the moulding part painted in the morning. The paint is still wet here so it looks a little more glossy than it will hardened. So, this is now:Name:  IMG_2539.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  88.1 KBName:  IMG_2541.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  103.0 KB
    Tomorrow, i will spray the moulding part the accent grey and a little extra something i'll show you tomorrow.

Looks great. Enjoying seeing this build every day!

Default Door Vinyl Mouldings

I painted the mouldings on the vinyl my trim grey and I two toned the upper. The upper I painted what was the chrome strip kona blue. It's hardly noticeable, but I like it. Today I'll get the dew wipes on, then I'll get the new carpets on whenever they show up.Name:  IMG_2548.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  107.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  70.5 KB

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast