Close

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Thanks Trey, i was thinking for the gasket material that i might just use some of that foam "tape" that is used under a bed cap on pick up trucks.

While i'm at lowe's getting my backing boards this weekend, i'll snoop around to see what i can find.

I left the mirrors at work. Monday i'll throw my brain at it to see what i can figure.
    I've replaced some troublesome side mirror guts and added a whole mirror to an early no-mirror car with junkyard replacements. Most I've ever looked at or found seemed to be all okay unless broken. I would check any of the local yards and look for a donor. You may luck out and find a better gasket than the one you have too! I've reused many and not really worried. You might even find someone local to get one cheap too. Local Foxbody group on Facebook?.

I've also made similar gaskets from closed cell packing foam:

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

All the NOS tail light lenses I've ever seen are glossy.

Another question. I want to sand my tail light lenses and clearcoat them to give a new look to them. Should i use a regular glossy finish, or a toned down semigloss to eggshell finish?

I always respray mine with regular clear, so glossy. I don't tone anything down.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Default Driver's Seat Back and Door Panel Carpeting

Here's what i've been up to this weekend. First, i've sewn the new zipper i got for the seat back on. I also stitched up one seam area in the upper part of the cover that had come apart during the wash cycles.Name:  IMG_2456.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  102.7 KB

Second thing involves the door carpeting. A friend of mine gave these brand new ones, one problem, as you can see, is that they are made for an '87- door panel. You can see where the carpet rises slightly at the front where the door speakers are on the newer models.Name:  IMG_2454.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  116.4 KB

But free is free and since i've recently had to learn to sew.....I fixed them. The first thing i had to do is to rip out the stitching along the vinyl trim to about two inches past where i had to cut the carpet. I then put in a locking stitch so the trim wouldn't separate sometime in the future.
    Name:  IMG_2459.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  91.7 KB
    I measured out and drew what the new pattern should be on the carpeting and then spent a little time with a really sharp little knife and slowly cut the unwanted portion off.Name:  IMG_2457.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  83.0 KB

After that i started to resew the vinyl trim back in place and tah dah, just want i needed.Name:  IMG_2460.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  88.9 KB

Default Uncut Door Panel Backing

I decided to use some luan (laun, lauan, plywood ok?) for the backing boards. I'll hopefully have them cut out tomorrow, then i'll give them a quick sanding to smooth them, and paint them. I want to get at least one coat of clear on them to seal them against moisture. I had thought of getting a PVC backing board, but crap, they cost about the same as the precut boards on LMR. The plywood was 5 bucks and change.Name:  IMG_2462.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  43.4 KB

I'm taking my jigsaw to work with me tomorrow to do the main cutting.

BTW, the stinking sandblaster said he'll have my driver's seat base back to me tomorrow. I'll begin holding my breath tonight. If this really happens, i'm going to stop on the door panels and work on fixing the base. I have to wait to get my new dew wipes and stupid little 1/8" staples anyhow.

So, more tomorrow. I'm trying to do something every day on the car. I'm afraid to take a break, i need to get this mustang running.

With that said.........the yard owner has a complete '83 5.0 drivetrain in his yard.......That would be so much better than an essex V6. More info later on this point.

Default Wobbly Mirror Fix

Today i took the time to look at my mirror mechanisms. My driver's mirror wobbled really bad, the passenger side just a little.Name:  IMG_2465.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  91.8 KB

I'm probably not the first one to figure this out, but here's what you do. At the adjuster where the three cables join up to the adjusting knob the cablespring covers are crimped to hold them in place.
    Name:  IMG_2464.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  62.0 KB
    I seperated the crimp with a small screwdriver and pulled the sleeve towards the mirror and recrimped them.Name:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  108.9 KB
    That's it. Mine are tight as can be now. Easy peasy.

Default New Door Panel Backing Boards

It was a busy day at work, but between coats of paint today, I did this:

I laid out a pattern from the original boards to the new panels and used a jigsaw to cut out the basic design.Name:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  72.1 KB

I haven't finished them (obviously), i left my wood rasps at home. Tomorrow i'll finish the making of them.

The pattern matches the original board really well (at least as well as that warped POS could give me for a pattern!). I wrapped the vinyl on it to see ow it looked, totally btchin! I'm so happy with the results so far.Name:  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  90.5 KB

Awesome job! Those panels will turn out as nice as everything else you're doing! Can't wait to see more!!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Awesome job! Those panels will turn out as nice as everything else you're doing! Can't wait to see more!!
    Thanks man, the sandblaster said he got my driver's seat base done finally, so tomorrow at lunch i'll pick them up and start cutting and welding. Wednesday i'll get the new dew wipes ordered for the door panels, so i can get them built.

Ive let myself get too deep into too many projects at once! Tomorrow i'll finish the door backing panels and repair the seat base.
    I really want to get the driver's seat done. I might focus on that. I will need to wait on the dew wipes and stupid little 1/8" staples anyhow....

Then there IS that instrument panel, Oh my! That'll take focus.

Then there IS that instrument panel, Oh my! That'll take focus.
    I will be watching this thread for updates. I've got some work to do on mine also.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Default Nasty Rotted Seat Base

I got the seat base back from the sandblaster today. Pretty, huh?Name:  IMG_2468.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  113.3 KB

I drilled out the spotwelds for the seat back brace and cut out the rotten section.Name:  IMG_2470.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  145.8 KB

Then i stripped the patch panels and cleaned up the backside of the brace in preparation for welding.Name:  IMG_2471.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  125.1 KB

I started to learn how to use a spot/pinch welder today. They are freaking awesome! This is the inside with the brace reattached.Name:  IMG_2476.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  92.2 KB

Here's how it sits right now. Tomorrow i will trim off the excess from my patch panels and stitch weld the new panel, fill in a couple guide holes i made and grind them down and paint the frame.Name:  IMG_2477.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  127.5 KB

Default Back to the Yard Again

After work I went back to the yard to get my taillights.

I removed the insulation between the rear seat back and the trunk area and somewhat crawled through the opening. I'm 6'2" tall and weigh 200lbs. I can't fit completely over that brace. I tried reaching in with a flat tip screwdriver to pop the trunk, the old lock cylinder wouldn't allow anything so easy. So i removed the bolts holding the striker and got the lid opened. My shoulders hurt now!Name:  IMG_2478.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  113.4 KB

With the decklid open, i removed the lights. I also removed the old lock cylinder so i'll just need a screwdriver to open it in the future. I have new lock cylinders that'll i'll use on the already painted decklid, but that's for later. Gratuitous pretty stuff.Name:  IMG_1991.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  170.8 KB

Here's the lights.Name:  IMG_2479.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  199.3 KBAs you can see, they're in pretty good condition. I'll take the lenses off of the housings and clean them up. Then i'll sand down the lenses and clearcoat them.

Here's how the car sits as of tonight.Name:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  117.7 KB

Ive got to remember that doggone package tray one of these days.....

Default I didn't Just Goof Off Today

This posts is without pictures. I worked on the backing panels for the door panels. They're almost done. I'll be painting them soon (maybe tomorrow depending how much i get done on the seat base). I'll get pictures tomorrow too.

I would like to see some details on the technique for the tail lights. I picked up a used set for 85 and I will be taking them apart to repaint the reflector part, then sand, paint the trim line, then clear....I would like to see someone who knows what they are doing do it.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    I would like to see some details on the technique for the tail lights. I picked up a used set for 85 and I will be taking them apart to repaint the reflector part, then sand, paint the trim line, then clear....I would like to see someone who knows what they are doing do it.
    I'll try to,get them tore down tomorrow, i'll get photos if i do.

Default Seat Frame, Door Panel Backing and Tailights

I got a bit done today, I'll start with the seat frame.

I stitched the patch panels in place, ground the welds down and painted the frame and sliders. I had a small crack on the rear of one of the seat sliders. I welded that as well. The seat had a few other areas to weld while I was at it. There was a crack at the left front and the spring set holes on the rear of the frame had been wollered out by the helical springs over the years. I just filled the holes in a bit, ground them down and they're good to go now.Name:  IMG_2487.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  72.6 KBName:  IMG_2494.jpg
Size:  96.2 KB

I finished the door backing panels and got one painted today. I sprayed it with a black sealer and put two coats of clear on the panel then. That should help keep the moisture out of them.Name:  IMG_2491.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  79.2 KBName:  IMG_2496.jpg
Size:  55.9 KB

I took of one of the taillight lenses today and cleaned up the butyl tape. The clips are in great condition, so i'll reuse them. I can get all of the butyl tape from our glass guy for free. Win for Dave. The lense I took off has a small crack at the bottom of it. I'm going to repair this. The other lense is great and I can't imagine replacing them because of such a small bit of damage. I'm going to repair that, then sand and clearcoat the entire lense. There is some chipping of the black around the lense, so I'll respray that afterwards. I believe the black will be more of an eggshell finish though. I'll cover the repairs on this later.Name:  IMG_2482.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  121.3 KB

I have a question for y'all. The vinyl originally had a paper backing. I assumed this was some sort of either wax infused or plastic coated paper at one stage in it's life?Name:  IMG_2435.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  93.5 KB

I was thinking of replacing it with a thin plastic layer using some 3M spray adhesive. Is this a good or bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Nice progress!
    Thank you, i'm really trying to stay focused and do something (no matter how small!) each day. Though, i have to admit, I'm really looking forward to seeing the door panels done! When i first looked at the car in the salvage, their ugliness really stood out to me. I figured i'd just get new ones. Then i looked up the price......
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 01-18-2017 at 09:44 PM.

I have a question for y'all. The vinyl originally had a paper backing. I assumed this was some sort of either wax infused or plastic coated paper at one stage in it's life?Name:  IMG_2435.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  93.5 KB

I was thinking of replacing it with a thin plastic layer using some 3M spray adhesive. Is this a good or bad idea?
    I think the thin plastic layer would be a good idea. It was probably a water shield of some kind originally.

Thank you, i'm really trying to stay focused and do something (no matter how small!) each day. Though, i have to admit, I'm really looking forward to seeing the door panels done! When i first looked at the car in the salvage, their ugliness really stood out to me. I figured i'd just get new ones. Then i looked up the price......
    Well it seems like your cranking along nicely. If you ever get in a rut make a list. Nothing new but I always found that making a list helped - whether it was car related, house related or life related - I like lists! lol

Default Small Victory

Here's a small victory for me. When i was getting the taillights the t-top bags were in the trunk. They're in great condition. It's like they haven't been used in a decade and a halfName:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  70.4 KB

Default What's This Switch

I was going through my pictures, what is this switch for? Name:  IMG_2356.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  95.5 KB

I was going through my pictures, what is this switch for? Name:  IMG_2356.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  95.5 KB
    Good question......it's not factory. Looks like time to trace some wires and see what a PO had hooked up to it. Hopefully they didn't scab a bunch of stuff to make it work.....whatever it goes to.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Default Door Panel Backing and Driver's Seat

So what have I done today? I got the other door panel backing painted, now I need to paint the vinyl (maybe tomorrow?) As soon as the dew wipes get here I'll reassemble the panels.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  54.0 KB

I also put the driver's seat back together. Here's the back, I sprayed some glue and put on some thin plastic to aid in getting the cover on.
    Name:  IMG_2498.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  59.3 KB
    Then I rolled the cover over the new foam and frame and attached it's listings with the needed hog rings.
    Name:  IMG_2499.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  175.6 KB
    Here it is all zipped up with it's new zipper.
    Name:  IMG_2501.jpg
Size:  94.0 KBName:  IMG_2502.jpg
Size:  83.2 KB

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast