Close

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Default Yard Again

I made a mad dash to the yard this afternoon after work, I say mad dash because the sun sets around 5:45. This is about thirty minutes worth of work.

I got the door panels, and mirrors with trim from one side (the other side was riveted). I also got the trim from around the rear window, except the lower piece, i couldn't open the trunk and get to the clips.

As i just said, i couldn't open the trunk, so no taillights today. I really want to get them because they "appear" to be in really good condition. I hope they are. I might take the lenses off just to do a good cleanup. I will sand the outside and clearcoat it if they're as good as i think, we'll see....

I have a couple pictures, but not of everything. It was too dark when i was done.Name:  IMG_2430.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  67.0 KBName:  IMG_2431.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  91.5 KBName:  IMG_2428.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  97.3 KB
    Here's one of what the interior looks like right now.Name:  IMG_2427.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  114.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Looking good!

I'm amazed how well the fabric cleaned up. I've seen people take out ratty old carpet, degrease it and hit it with the pressure washer and the results were incredible. I have original carpet from my 83TC and will give it a try someday. I look forward to that but not to recovering seats. No one ever says that's an easy task.

D̶i̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶t̶s̶?̶ ̶ (Nevermind, I saw your comments and pictures on the Painting Fabric topic)

Thanks again for sharing your project with us!
    Thank you, it's nice to hear such nice things. My family isn't as "into" this as I am.

That carpet in my car is going to the dumpster, it's disgusting. I already have the new carpet to replace it. Recovering a seat is a PITA, I'll admit to it. Though it wore me out, it's still nice to look at the finished results.

Trust me, your 'Ford Family' here is into it as much as you are.

Default Seat and passenger door panel

Got the seat back together. I still haven't painted the headrest yet. I keep forgetting. I like how it turned out.Name:  IMG_2433.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  65.3 KB

I tore down the passenger door panel. I'm going to get a new backing board for it. I soaked the old one in water and have it lying on the floor of my paint booth with a heavy board on it to squish it flat. I'll run it through a couple bake cycles to get it flat again. I'll need it for a pattern. I also need to get a vinyl strip to sew around the carpet, the old piece is dry and brittle. The main vinyl is in great shape though, so it'll be visiting my washing machine this evening to be introduced to some bleach. It's yucky with mold.

I'll dig up some new chrome trim for the panel as well.Name:  IMG_2434.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  100.6 KBName:  IMG_2435.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  93.5 KB

If you want to save the time and trouble of making your own backer boards, here you go: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2394DBD/mus...oard-pair-8186

I just used the 87-93 panels for another vehicle and they worked out pretty well. I have a set of the Four Eyed panels too for my SVO when I get around to it.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Amazing build. With the time you've spent on original parts you could have gotten for free or close to it, I hope you make your own backer boards. There is no waste on this build!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you want to save the time and trouble of making your own backer boards, here you go: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2394DBD/mus...oard-pair-8186

I just used the 87-93 panels for another vehicle and they worked out pretty well. I have a set of the Four Eyed panels too for my SVO when I get around to it.

Good Luck!
    I saw those, i'm going to see how much new board from home depot or lowes cost, if i can get it under $10, I'll make my own. It looks like it would be fairly easy peasy. Besides, those little $50 things sure add up fast.

I'm in a very broke state of mind right now and am going to have to go as cheap as possible. I'll have to blow the money for the dew wipes. That's ok though.

If i had the money for new stuff, that would be nice. I'm getting close to working on the car itself so i need to save what i have for that. I believe it'll take between $1000-$1500 to get it driving and legal.

I'm too new here Trey, it sounds like you have your own shop. Yet your comments sound like someone that has been working on cars for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    Amazing build. With the time you've spent on original parts you could have gotten for free or close to it, I hope you make your own backer boards. There is no waste on this build!
    Thanks so much. Admittedly a part of it is that i don't have big paychecks lately. Really though, i get a little thrill out of fixing things too. So the door panels will have a bit of both in them. Cheap as possible, but really nice looking. These are the first set of door panels i've redone. It was interesting taking them apart slowly and logically. I can make these really nice, i think. I'm keeping the vinyl and upper metal backing, but the rest will be put together.

I've enjoyed all the new knowledge i've gained in doing this on my own. I've been a painter for a long time, but the interior has been real fun to learn about.

Thank God for the internet though, huh. We use to have to go apprentice with craftsmen of their particular trade to learn. Now I apprentice through google! That makes me an Appoogle, doesn't it?

Default Door Panel and Seat Stuff

First, the seat. B4 and after:Name:  IMG_0444.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  100.0 KBName:  IMG_2441.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  53.5 KB

Second, the door panel. I have a friend that will give me new carpet pieces for the bottom of the panel. Yay! Free is really nice. I also found out something interesting. The door panel's mouldings are melted together with the main vinyl and the underlying padding. So what do i do with the cruddy chrome on them? Pretty much by accident i used a razor blade to slice along them. The plastic cover and chrome sliced right off! So i still have the moulding. I'll paint them black like the rest, then go to wally world and get this chrome tape they have there (i'll show you when i get it). Name:  IMG_2439.jpg
Size:  77.9 KBName:  IMG_2440.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  68.0 KB

The only hold up will be the dew wipes that i'll have to wait till next tuesday to buy. I've read about screwing them on and riveting them on. I was wondering if it's possible to staple them on like original? Does it take a special stapler to pierce through the wipe and metal base underneath?

I think that's it for today. Tomorrow i have to get my driver's seat base from the sand blasters and begin it's repairs. Maybe i can hit home depot after work for the backing panels

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I saw those, i'm going to see how much new board from home depot or lowes cost, if i can get it under $10, I'll make my own. It looks like it would be fairly easy peasy. Besides, those little $50 things sure add up fast.

I'm in a very broke state of mind right now and am going to have to go as cheap as possible. I'll have to blow the money for the dew wipes. That's ok though.

If i had the money for new stuff, that would be nice. I'm getting close to working on the car itself so i need to save what i have for that. I believe it'll take between $1000-$1500 to get it driving and legal.

I'm too new here Trey, it sounds like you have your own shop. Yet your comments sound like someone that has been working on cars for awhile.
    I completely understand. I am in the same situation right now in regards to the budget being blown and the bank account needs to be replenished before much else can happen.

I just thought I would mention them in case you hadn't seen them. I have to say they are pretty decent for the price IMHO and definitely save some time, but I understand the making your own. I had considered that myself.

As for a shop, I used to own a restoration/customizing shop when I lived down in TX. I did all the paint, body work, and interior work on all of Motion Dynamics cars. They used to be a SVO heavy performance shop. I have rebuilt/restored a lot of Fox Mustangs/Capris over the years. I have been playing with them since early 90's so I have a few years under my belt.

Things are really moving along on your project and you are doing some great work!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Great work. I like low-buck DIY builds. Go ahead and buy the board from HD or Lowes. It's simple to trace the old pattern and cut out new backer boards....

Installed:

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Great work. I like low-buck DIY builds. Go ahead and buy the board from HD or Lowes. It's simple to trace the old pattern and cut out new backer boards....

Installed:

JT
    Thanks JT, what did you do to reconnect the upper metal portion to the board?

JTurbo is another amazing talented and creative guy. If you two got together you could rebuild a junkyard car with duct tape for $1.59.

Uhmmmm......I think I'll replace this pocket. The vinyl is brittle anyhow.Name:  IMG_2444.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  95.4 KBName:  IMG_2445.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  89.9 KB

I ended up using 3/16" rivets 1/8" grip IIRC. I will double check today.

I also used #10 flat washers as back up on the board side to spread the load. Put the rivets in from the front of the panel, so they will be relatively flat when you are done. The small protrusions of the rivet on the backside will not be a problem when installing as long as you use the short rivets. Again I will double check the grip range I used to verify. Worked pretty well IMHO.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The only hold up will be the dew wipes that i'll have to wait till next tuesday to buy. I've read about screwing them on and riveting them on. I was wondering if it's possible to staple them on like original? Does it take a special stapler to pierce through the wipe and metal base underneath?
    Dave,
    I just did this and after some conversation and much thought, I decided not to try and staple the inner dew wipes back to the door.

I did this for a couple reasons:
    1) Just didn't have a stapler large enough to be happy with. I honestly didn't think a T-45 staple would be that good and I didn't want to buy a different stapler for a possible one time use.
    2) I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so if I ever have to do this again, I don't want to go through the hassle of removing staples again.

So what I did is:
    1) Grind the backside legs of the staples off carefully with a Dremel tool with cutting wheel.
    2) Carefully pry old dew wipe off. A couple areas pulled the vinyl door skin with it so I sprayed some adhesive to put it back in place.
    3) Placed the new dew wipe on the door in its best location, they are close but not quite the same size as the factory wipe, and took an 1/8" drill bit and drilled through the wipe and metal door panel skin.
    4) Using some #4 by 1" flat head phillips screws I reattached the wipe to the door panel. I actually did this twice as the first time I put the nut on the inside and then I had issues with the door panel fitment upon reinstall. I ended up bringing the screw in from the back, used a dab of blue loctite on the threads and put the nut on the window side. Thankfully I found my offset screwdrivers when I cleaned up the toolbox. Made tightening these things down easy.
    5) Using the dremel and disc, cut off the excess screw flush with the nut.

There is no concern with the nut hitting the window, the door panel and dew wipe fit great when installed.

Name:  DSC00780.jpg
Size:  144.6 KBName:  DSC00783.jpg
Size:  142.5 KBName:  DSC00782.jpg
Size:  132.9 KBName:  DSC00785.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  93.9 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 01-12-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Uhmmmm......I think I'll replace this pocket. The vinyl is brittle anyhow.
    I used standard pop rivets and a washer as Trey said.

Note that I eliminated the map pockets on my convertible in the pic I posted. They were in similar shape.

I just cut out several small round carpet plugs and just glued them to the new backer board.
    Last edited by JTurbo; 01-12-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I ended up using 3/16" rivets 1/8" grip IIRC. I will double check today.

I also used #10 flat washers as back up on the board side to spread the load. Put the rivets in from the front of the panel, so they will be relatively flat when you are done. The small protrusions of the rivet on the backside will not be a problem when installing as long as you use the short rivets. Again I will double check the grip range I used to verify. Worked pretty well IMHO.
    Thanks Trey. Since i'm lately going ape poop on panel bonding adhesive, what do you think of the idea of laying a bead of that out on the new panel? It would seep through the original holes in the metal top piece and provide decent bonding. Rivets would be easy enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Dave,
    I just did this and after some conversation and much thought, I decided not to try and staple the inner dew wipes back to the door.

I did this for a couple reasons:
    1) Just didn't have a stapler large enough to be happy with. I honestly didn't think a T-45 staple would be that good and I didn't want to buy a different stapler for a possible one time use.
    2) I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so if I ever have to do this again, I don't want to go through the hassle of removing staples again.

So what I did is:
    1) Grind the backside legs of the staples off carefully with a Dremel tool with cutting wheel.
    2) Carefully pry old dew wipe off. A couple areas pulled the vinyl door skin with it so I sprayed some adhesive to put it back in place.
    3) Placed the new dew wipe on the door in its best location, they are close but not quite the same size as the factory wipe, and took an 1/8" drill bit and drilled through the wipe and metal door panel skin.
    4) Using some #4 by 1" flat head phillips screws I reattached the wipe to the door panel. I actually did this twice as the first time I put the nut on the inside and then I had issues with the door panel fitment upon reinstall. I ended up bringing the screw in from the back, used a dab of blue loctite on the threads and put the nut on the window side. Thankfully I found my offset screwdrivers when I cleaned up the toolbox. Made tightening these things down easy.
    5) Using the dremel and disc, cut off the excess screw flush with the nut.

There is no concern with the nut hitting the window, the door panel and dew wipe fit great when installed.

Name:  DSC00780.jpg
Size:  144.6 KBName:  DSC00783.jpg
Size:  142.5 KBName:  DSC00782.jpg
Size:  132.9 KBName:  DSC00785.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  93.9 KB
    Thanks for the idea Brock. I'll revisit your post when i rebuild these things.

Work was a typical Monday today, so I didn't pick up my seat base from the sand blasters. This will be my next immediate project. i want to get the driver's seat done, and then build the door panels.

This isn't to say I'll do nothing. I'm washing the driver's side vinyl right now, bleach is good. I'll probably get the vinyl painted and then wait for stuff to come in, new carpet, pocket, and dew wipes. I'll get the new board this weekend as well.

As a side note, thank you and all you people reading this for helping me with this build, your advice is greatly appreciated. I'm a car painter by trade, not a everything else guy. I'm kind of winging it with a lot of the stuff and doing what seems logical.

Thanks Trey. Since i'm lately going ape poop on panel bonding adhesive, what do you think of the idea of laying a bead of that out on the new panel? It would seep through the original holes in the metal top piece and provide decent bonding. Rivets would be easy enough though.

I double checked the rivets they are 3/16" diameter by 1/8" long.

The panel bonding adhesive idea is an option, I might work just fine and then again . . .

The rivets were easy enough for me and work really well. Worse case put a few rivets in across the panel and then panel bond the rest of it.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Cool Fox and Cool build..!!!

Best part of a T Top Coupe is people coming up to you and asking how you cut the roof and modified it. Then you tell them it came from the Factory as a T Top Car and they don't believe you!
    Last edited by Her5.0; 01-13-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s-FOXOTE-(formerly...HERFOX)

FEP Ride of the Month January 2014.!!

Thanks for the compliment, I really like your mustang a lot. Beautiful car.

Ok, I've got a question for anybody. I started working on my mirrors. What makes a good replacement gasket for them? The old ones are a bit wasted.

BTW, I started sanding the passenger mirror, no problems, smoothed out fine. Then I went to the driver's side. It had a couple chips, as I started feathering them out I counted SEVEN paint jobs on that poor thing. I found plastic eventually!

Another question. One of the mirrors is a bit loose where the cables attach to the mirror, before I screw it up in a learning curve, is there a simple way to tighten them? Here's a picture of the mirror mechanism and the gasket I need to replace.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  88.8 KB

I am not aware of any replacements for the mirror gaskets. Unfortunately unless someone else is aware of a replacement you will most likely have to make your own.

I don't know of a "good" fix for the mirrors. Basically the cables stretch over time and that allows the mirror face to become loose and wobble.

I tried taking up the slack in the mirror using lead fishing weights and several other ideas and nothing really seemed to work or last very long.

The best idea I have come up with to this point is to use a cable tie and thread it under the cables to help take up the slack. That makes the mirror a bit harder to adjust, but it does get rid of the wobble.

I am interested if you come up with any good ideas, otherwise I am going to modify sets of Aero power mirrors to look like 4 Eyed mirrors and just install those as I am sick of the wobbles! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks Trey, i was thinking for the gasket material that i might just use some of that foam "tape" that is used under a bed cap on pick up trucks.

While i'm at lowe's getting my backing boards this weekend, i'll snoop around to see what i can find.

I left the mirrors at work. Monday i'll throw my brain at it to see what i can figure.

Another question. I want to sand my tail light lenses and clearcoat them to give a new look to them. Should i use a regular glossy finish, or a toned down semigloss to eggshell finish?

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast