Close

Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1501

The washer tank would clean up your engine bay. Plus someone left a rail of sockets in that shell! Probably Chinese junk
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 06-20-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    The washer tank would clean up your engine bay. Plus someone left a rail of sockets in that shell! Probably Chinese junk
    I agree. I am swapping to an aero tank on my 85 to make room for all the electrical crap I am putting on the DS apron. I even cut up one of my snorkel tubes so I can still run my snorkel air cleaner if I want.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I was thinking about that Shane. A newer one inside the left fender would be cleaner. I'm still thinking on that one though, maybe something totally different.

Those sockets belong to the yard owner. I was really just going up there to look at the pedal assembly he had, but when I saw the dash was out, I knew I could get it out pretty quick. So I borrowed his tools. Craftsman mainly, if it matters.

What did I do today?

First thing, I took my son out to the car to show him my plans. Luckily I went out barefoot and found the old frame rail I cut out with my left little toe. Thank goodness it blead enough that no germs could have possibly stayed in the wound, lol.

So, after cleaning up my bodily fluids and bandaging up my foot and putting on some FREAKING SHOES, I got after the frame rail.

After doing the fitting again I put the front rail cover on to see how it fit. Comparing it to the left side I saw one small issue, Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  84.2 KBIt needed a small part to be cut out to match the old one.Name:  IMG_4331.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.1 KB

While I was looking at the left side I thought I should go ahead and take the time to remove the last of the old radiator support, and since I was there I figured I would go ahead and remove a size able chunk of the inner panel.Name:  IMG_4329.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  114.2 KB

After that squirrel, I went back to the frame rail. After it's final fitting I drilled out the holes for the 14 gazillion spot welds I'll be doing. 14 gazillion holes in 14 gauge steel can wear a guy out.....Name:  IMG_4332.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  138.4 KB

Then I welded in the inner bumper bracket, then welded the new crush tubes to their lower plate and welded that into the frame rail.Name:  IMG_4334.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  87.0 KB

More in the next post.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 06-23-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Once those parts were welded on I placed it back on the car for another fitting and put the front top cover on again. It looks much better now.Name:  IMG_4337.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  95.3 KB

After all the fitting I pulled the rail back off again and coated the inside with POR15. I also coated various areas of the strut tower and the rear down tube area of the subframe.Name:  IMG_4338.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  122.3 KBName:  IMG_4339.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  98.5 KB

Tomorrow I will finally weld the frame rail up! Woohoo! I'll start fitting the radiator support after that.

Looking Good! You are making Great Progress too! I really hope to get back to work on one of my Foxes one of these days.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Looking Good! You are making Great Progress too! I really hope to get back to work on one of my Foxes one of these days.
    Thanks Trey.

Lol, you should work on one of yours. With all of that spare time you got, that is.....

Stop working on everyone else's stuff trey! Oh wait, that's how you pay for your stuff. Capitalism

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Thanks Trey.

Lol, you should work on one of yours. With all of that spare time you got, that is.....
    Stop working on everyone else's stuff trey! Oh wait, that's how you pay for your stuff. Capitalism
    Thanks!

Working on others stuff right now is not the issue, I can't seem to get anything to go my way with my truck overhaul lately and just don't have the time to constantly work on the same stuff! I have a coolant leak that I can't seem to find after thinking I had it taken care of on a couple of occasions before. Oh well, hopefully I will get some stuff done on the Capri in the near future. I am sick of looking at it sitting there all sad and ugly.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I started today with fitting things up AGAIN! The measurements were great. I put the new radiator support into the mix and the numbers are still great.Name:  IMG_0846.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  111.7 KB
    I got the rear area from the strut tower back welded in. I wanted to do a perimeter weld around the rear bracket, It was going along fine and I got the outside done and started on the inside. That's where all hell broke loose for me. Sputtering and popping, burnt holes in my pants, little green men running naked in the driveway........I ran out of argon.

I didn't get the upper plate over the crush tubes welded in, but it all fit up great. The lip of the rail needed to be bent down to match up with the top cover. Also a little bending of the end tabs of the upper plate that will weld to the strut tower.Name:  IMG_4342.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  82.3 KB

Oh well, I put the rest of the stuff back on just to be sure again that my measurements were good. They areName:  IMG_4345.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  118.8 KB

The end tabs of the new rail needed to be trimmed. They were about 1/2" to long. NBD. Another chance to play with my new reciprocating saw!Name:  IMG_4343.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  104.7 KBName:  IMG_4344.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  109.0 KB

So hopefully tomorrow night I'll finish the welding of the frame rail. There's something else I want to do prior to welding in the new radiator support, Then I'll get it and really get after smoothing out the engine bay.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 06-24-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Dave you gotta put warnings on your posts, I spit pop out my nose when I read about your little piggy. Boy have I been there before.

So, my relationship with my nephew has taken a turn for the less than good side. I wanted my brother's 351, but i'm not so sure now if it'll happen.

Let's get real for a moment, it'll be the summer of 2020 before I really consider the drivetrain.

I WANT this https://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Performa...60FRT/10002/-1

What do y'all think? 575/575 might be kind of nice......

FEP Super Member

I would build a 427 c.i. Windsor I stead .
    Better weight distribution of you are set on a pushrod engine .
    Me personally , since doing a 32 valve cobra swap in my 91 Coupe , a d losi g 80 pounds off the front wheels , over the 302 , that is where I am going as soon as I can blow this 347 up lol.
    Most likely I will be looking for another 01 cobra to salvage , or go to the coyote swap .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I was looking at my jeggs link, it doesn’t make clear that the engine is a bored and stroked 351.

FEP Super Member

I did not know you could get 460 cubic inches out of a 351 .
    The link says big block ford .
    The li k further says , things you will need , which are in fact 429/460 I take, cleavland /385 series distributor etc.
    Way too much weight in the front for me .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 06-25-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I did not know you could get 460 cubic inches out of a 351 .
    The link says big block ford .
    The li k further says , things you will need , which are in fact 429/460 I take, cleavland /385 series distributor etc.
    Way too much weight in the front for me .
    Oops! I meant this one then, I copied it properly this time. Lol
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac.../M6007Z460FRT/

Jeez Louise! For 10K, I put a Coyote in the front AND a turbo LS in the back and piss errrbody off in the process! Heck with some Craigslist shopping your could put an EcoBoost 2.3 4 cylinder, 2 Turbo LS's and a Coyote with 2 T56's!

Quit looking at the shiny stuff and get back to work before you buy something you'll regret!

Last edited by droopie85gt; 06-26-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

FEP Super Member

I do agree , for 10,400 .00 you could do a coyote swap and have gas money left .

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter
    Oops! I meant this one then, I copied it properly this time. Lol
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac.../M6007Z460FRT/

Mmmm, yummi. Gross hosepower figures, which will require a good single plane intake manifold.

If you end up like every other 351 Block 9.5" deck Windsor Fox owner, and have trouble packing an extra 158 cubes of heat over that 1983 years biggest Fox V8 engine of 302 cubes without 4" of extra have hood clearance issues, and you wanna go EFi at some stage, give me a PM.

Down here, we have 351C's we regularly put in 1985 to 1998 XF and XG Falcons with a really low XH pickup hoodline. Its like the El Camino, front G body MonteCarlo clips are done all the time. Back part odf 79-84's was able to take the front 1985 to 1999 sheet metal, but then hood clearnace got critical.

From the 1966 Falcon pickup and Sedan based vans till 1984, it was all pretty tall hoods.

Spare a thought for us in Australia and New Zealand.

Hoods like this were a real pest to proper tall 9.2 and 9.5" deck 351's.

From the 1966 Falcon pickup and Sedan based pickups and vans till 1984, it was all pretty tall hoods. Clevelands, Big Block FE's, and even 460's went in okay.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1755/...31ab723071.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/...97a9941a0a.jpg

http://used-cars-lookup.com/images/c...81-50101-1.jpg

Only on 351's with 9.5 inch block decks, there isn't any space for a good intake under a late model Ford hood, so Active Performance did a special Active Twin Tech drop Throttle Body which works with an early 1969 Windsor 351 distributor body, which takes an Aussie Duraspark/ Holden 308 electronic distrubutor cap (your Presolite system, same as the 1969-1973 Autolite/Motorcraft 351 W points distributor))

Twin 65 mm throttle bodies, sort of like the 4.9 in line Six and 5.0/5.8 Windsor EFi F track and E van's syastem.

Neat thing is it can be run easily in Windsor tall deck blocks with the PID activated real time data 1993 Cobra SVT 5.0 MAF computer, which can also easily support the huge aftermarket pound per hour injectors, and EDIS 8.

Nearly all later V8 EECIV's ran updated real time data capture, and were mapped for a basic 5.0 or 5.8, and its got all the good access codes mapped.

Three lines of code changes via the existing computer, one crank sensor, and a plug adaptor to the distribtor hole, and you can use EDIS8 and NO distributor.

Peter B from Australia first started the work on getting old tall deck Injected 351 Clevelands under the hood.

If that's where you wanna head, here is the write up on how to get the wet gear arranged.

You can use a single plane 4-bbl intake manioldwith a 351 Windsor , and fit it all under the steepest off hoods. The Ultraflow Erradicator 4V intake is just like the better single plane 351 W stroker intakes, and it can be run with stock Lightening or 5.0 EFi fuel rail parts.

See https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...te/index.shtml

I won’t be welding anything till tomorrow night. One of my buddies at work has an extra full cylinder of argon he’ll give me. Free is good.

Thats ok, I’ve got some grinding to do anyhow.

I started to straighten up the upper mounting area for the radiator support. They’re like Swiss cheese at the moment. A bit mangled. I took a hammer and dolly to them a little last night, I need to finish off grinding the old welds down. I’ll probably take a piece of copper and clamp it to the under side and rebuild the ends with my welder.Name:  4A7F9AFF-4201-46EC-9CD4-B40B6C6B0BC2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  67.6 KBName:  BF37F70A-F7EC-4D26-8247-88D346C76B4C.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  66.9 KB

I fit things up again to check the measurements for the radiator support, also to check the Scott Rod panels to see what trimming will be needed prior to welding.Name:  071B18E2-6A4C-46D4-B2E5-46E60D1093BE.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  105.9 KBName:  71DE8E7A-4DB5-4DC9-B6C7-49F70A2C7D37.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  98.7 KB

When the long awaited day comes I’ll use FI. I also want to use CNP, so no distributor to worry about.

I do like the looks of this intake with the throttle bodies. Name:  B0539B42-F929-4347-B53D-F80EA03C5686.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  115.3 KBIf it can make the 351 fit better that would be extra great.

Yeah, if you want to drop coin, forget Windsor stroker, forget Coyote....even forget the wonderful LS platform. Big Inch Cleveland stroker. Here's your $10k engine!

http://barnetthighperformance.com/35...plete-engines/

I spent about an hour on Booger last night. I worked just on the upper radiator support mounting locations. I finished grinding down the old welds and took a hammer and dolly to them to straighten them out.

I will get my argon today and will be able to do some welding tonight. My jobber is providing free consumables for my welder too! Yay for me!

Tonight I'm going to take a flat piece of copper and clamp it to the underneath side of the support areas and start filling in all the holes and tears. The copper is just a small piece of copper tube that was beaten flat.Name:  IMG_4366.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  87.2 KBName:  IMG_4364.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  69.5 KB

Im also getting some fiber wheels from my paint jobber, I'll use these to clean the areas up before welding. Fiber wheels are amazing to get down to clean shiny bare metal.

Of course I'm going to finish welding the frame rail tonight as well. I'm curious to see how my welder works with the shiny new consumables on it.

Good update! That engine bay will be done in no time.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Today I took the afternoon off work, it was a hundred degrees and I thought, "what a day to be in my garage with no air movement and welding! What could be better?".

So I cleaned up the upper radiator mounts and welded up all of the swiss chess holes and tears.Name:  IMG_4360.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  66.9 KBName:  IMG_4368.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  81.8 KB
    Then I finished welding the frame rail in. I remounted the radiator support, measured it out again and clamped it down and started welding. I started grinding the welds smooth, but after awhile I got pretty tired of that and stopped.Name:  IMG_4369.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  113.1 KBName:  IMG_4370.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  94.2 KB
    So what I have left there is to weld the sway bar mount and grind welds. Name:  IMG_4371.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  107.7 KBMaybe I'll be done tomorrow night with that and I'll move onto the next section.

Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast