Close

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Its just been run hard without a series of good oil changes.

Attention needs to be paid to the end float and thrust bearing. When the factory Toyo Kogyo 5 speeds were used, the engine, which was born as a dedicated automatic engine from 1982 to 1988, had some issues to deal with having a center punch throwout bearing. When you use the T5, you'll have to be certain you use the right 28.2 oz unbalance flywheel, indexed correctly. I'm pretty sure the 4.2 kept 28.2, although I have heard that there is a 32.2/ 39 ounce unblance split with one later version. A full rebuild is best when you change the transmission type on a four main bearing even fire V6.

I'd check a little more on the over bore and crank bearing type options

Now, how I feel about all this....at an opinion level, untendered....

The MN12 3.8 was the rebirth of the Roots blower...without it, Buick wouldn't have followed suit with its GM3800.

The E-90 V6, the Eaton M90 blower, its all American as, even if it was Ford USA first metric OHV V6 engine design, and built in Canada....

Gotta love it.

I started off with GM in line sixes, 4 cylinder Pinto engined Fords and 351C Falcons, so an Essex 90 is halfway in between.

About 1988, after a 375 hp Cleveland build up with a brilliant Engineer called Blair, I found Vizard books and Supercharging. Between marriage and financial growth with three kids, I got into A series and B series Limey in line fours (Mini, Morris Marina) in line sixes and V6 Fords, and never went back to Bent Eights.

For me, Léon Levavasseur invented it, but Henry Ford re-invented the V8. Craig-Dörwald and then Packard made the first production V12's, but Enzo Ferrari re-invented the V12.

For me, despite the statements that Dugald Clerk devised the first supercharged engine in a two stroke format in 1875, it was the Roots Blower Company of Connersville, Indiana, c.1860, that made the first functioning Supercharger, and in 1900, Gottlieb Daimler included a Roots-style blower in a patented Supercharged Otto engine design.

As far as I am concerned, Benson Ford rebirthed the centrifugal supercharger with the McCulloch/Paxton blower in 1955-1956.

Others say it may have been Graham Paige who sold the pants off them from 1937-39, but its was putting them on a 312 Y block which tipped the AMA Ban of Superchargers, and Shelby re-kicked it again in 1965 to 1968.

The Roots blower had the war winning GMC 3, 4 and 6 71's to thank, and Barney Navarro's 3/71 blown flattie mixed the rebirth V8 with the re-birthed Roots.

All this makes the MN12 engine a prefect edition to the Model T like Fox Mustang.

Do your research, ask questions, and go for it. You won't kill that four bearing V6!

So ends the disassembly of the supercoupe engine! I pulled the crank tonightName:  IMG_3760.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  95.1 KB

The worst of the bearings was the front upperName:  IMG_3764.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  92.6 KB

Put the main caps back on.Name:  IMG_3766.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  88.1 KB

There it is! An entire supercoupe engine.Name:  IMG_3768.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  104.3 KB

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I think this might be the first SC conversion I've seen in a Fox Mustang. Can't wait to see it finished

FEP Super Member

I may be mistaken , but the front main upper bearing , is comon on anybengine , that has the load on the balancer , from such items as the blower .
    Even Cobra 4.6 with 4 cams , are known for front crank stress.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

It is. The engine has 130k on it so I’m not surprised at all.

I’ve been sick for almost a whole week so there aren’t any great strides being made here lately. Last night all I felt like doing was to pull the freeze plugs out.Name:  3DE32411-F65D-4AEA-8B34-EB129BF2E962.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  127.0 KB
    You can see more of my friend Stop Leak there. I can’t wait to get this block hot tanked.

I was about to say I think that front main is from the tension from the belt system. It's probably tighter than hell to make sure that there is no belt slip on granny's grocery getter!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

A little bonus today, one of the bodymen was working on a super duty pick up replacing the front end. This included an intercooler!

The old one looks pretty darn nice, the vehicle only had ~15k miles on it at the time of the accident.

So here's a picture of the new (to me) intercooler with the sc intercooler on top of it. Just a little change in size! Lol.
    Name:  IMG_3775.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  129.8 KB
    Thats the sc radiator in front of it and the new core support behind it. The lower part of the core support will be replaced with a tubular section.

I think this will all fit great. I will do a leak test on the IC tomorrow, if it's fine then I'll just make it pretty.

If anyone can make it fit, you are the guy

Nice score on the IC! Happy Thanksgiving too, Dave!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks Drew same to you.

I hope OU fares better than my Dawgs last night. I could have taken the loss, but not the injury to Fitz. He would have gotten so much better for NEXT season with the bowl and spring practice.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

An ancient 13 second stock 1982 3.3 engine in a 1983 Fox Mustang Hatch was the Turbo Ford Forums nad FordSix.Com's Lincs200's aftermarket Subaru style IC mount under the front like Mike1157's. The under bumper area is a safe zone for making inter cooler volume.

found Lincs200 picture of Mike1157-style IC

I've been gone for ages, but hopefully this build did not got the same direction.

We need updates Dave!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Nothing yet, in January my finances open up quite a bit and I’ll order the rotating assembly.

Not much to do at at the moment, the body is in storage and the engine is sitting peacefully in my garage awaiting attention from my wallet.

I knew this would seam like a slow period in the build. The engine will cost me in the 8k-9k range, That’s why I’m giving myself the whole winter for that part of the build.

So, things are scheduled, just need the money tree to start producing more fruit.

So, I need some help again.

My wife decided to get my daughter a puppy. Half healer, half labrador. It apparently needs to chew any and everything.

Including my little steering wheel emblem that I spent all of that time redoing. I had forgotten that I left it on my light stand next to my comfy chair. Needless to say it didn’t fair well in the dog’s jaws. It’s mainly the lense that’s destroyed.

Any chance someone has another extra emblem?

Jess
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mustang-junky; 12-18-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Oh no!! Bad dog, bad dog! Do you still have the clear lense that covers the emblem or was all lost?

The lense is the main destroyed part.

Thanks Jess, that’s exactly what I wanted to do to that dog!

I found this on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-NOS-Ra...19.m1438.l2649

I may just go ahead and buy it. It was a pita to restore the old one.

BTW, I will start to doing stuff seriously again at the end of January. This being the first serious thing.

http://supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/...dInternals.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post

BTW, I will start to doing stuff seriously again at the end of January. This being the first serious thing.

http://supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/...dInternals.pdf
    I CAN'T WAIT! This is going to get interesting really fast!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Feel your pain. My wife rescued a Pitbull puppy about 6 months ago. I love the dog but he destroys everything and makes a mess constantly. There is debris all over my house just about everyday when get home. I have puppy proofed a bunch of things but the guy never ceases to amaze me on what he does or gets into. I cant wait till he grows out of this stage because it is becoming expensive LOL
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I don't believe in animal or child abuse. That being said, there are some that are in need of a good shock collar!!! I think a quick hit on the shock button is ok. Zip tying it down until the batteries run out is probably a bad idea!

My son brought one of his dogs over the other night to spend the night. He didn't tear anything up (that I've seen) but he is soooooo hyper and licks everything. My son took his girlfriend home and while he was gone the dog started whining and was nervous. SO he kept going upstairs to the bedroom and dragging my son's stuff downstairs. House shoes, a pillow, clothes. It was quite funny.

A little update.

Not much has been happening with the car lately.

Ive been going out to my brother's on the weekends and doing chores that he would normally do.

He made it through the chemo and radiation therapy. He's gone from weighing 255 to 178 right now. Pretty tough for him. He developed a problem called "chemo brain". Apparently the chemo therapy can cause a pretty drastic lack of cognitive skills on some people.

He can't do much right now because he's so weak. The chemo brain stuff keeps him from being able to talk much. He can't really put more than a couple words together. I sit and tell him about my kids, fox body stuff, etc.....He seems like he's understanding me.

Thursday he goes back for another petscan to see if the cancer has been killed. The doctors will also do a catscan on him to see if his brain might have been damaged from the chemo. Though with a catscan I think the main thing the can check for is for any bleeding on the brain, what else can the see with it? Maybe they will set him up for an MRI as well.

All this said, I haven't lost desire to work on my car, I've just got to help him if I can.

That sucks. Good of you to spend the time with him. Even though he might not be following everything you say, he will appreciate the effort you put into being there for him. Cancer treatments are brutal. From what I read most people will have the chemo brain fade away with time, but might never be back to 100%.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Thoughts and Prayers to you, your brother, and your family. I fully understand what you are going thru. Went thru that with Dad about 20 years ago now. Was definitely trying and humbling.

Dad ultimately recovered and has been cancer free for many years now. He is mostly back to him old self with no really noticeable effects. I will admit that the Chemo did change his personality and he has had difficulty making decisions every since. The doctors warned us that there could be lingering effects of the chemo. Nothing that can't be dealt with, but definitely took some adjustments. Still the same man I look up to and love, but definitely reacts differently than he did years ago.

Take care and God Bless!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller