Close

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Default My '83 GLX T-Top Coupe Junk Yard Find

So, for $1000 I found this '83 GLX coupe at the junk yard I was searching for parts for my '86 GT.

I just finished paying for it and hopefully will have it registered within the next two weeks. I will make this a beautiful car one day, but for right now, I just want it to run. It has an Essex V6 and the jy owner said it ran when it got there 15 years ago.

I will spend about $3k on it to make it a comfortable driver. No major modifications, no paint, just reliability first.

Pictures:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3883
Size:  184.7 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  144.2 KB
Views: 3864
Size:  88.4 KB
Views: 3864
Size:  118.9 KB
Views: 3880
Size:  106.6 KB

Amazing find!!!!! Car looks solid!!! Congrats

Lots of potential there. Good luck with it.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Nice find! Looks solid and I'll be interested in seeing your progress, keep us posted!

Thanks y'all. It'll be interesting, I'll guarantee that. Long ways to go on this one. I paint car for a living and kind of think I want to modernize the blue with Kona blue. A modern version of the original, so to speak.

Btw, the floor is solid! My red car needed new floor pans and patches welded in several places. Kind of wierd finding a t-top with the pans as nice as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    Lots of potential there. Good luck with it.
    Agree, air, pwr locks, cruise, T tops and 3L paint-nice!

Looks like a real sweetheart, thankfully getting a second chance.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Nice score!

A lot of cool vehicles in this shot, the Jeep pick-up with the Fox hatch leaning against it, the '65ish Ford pick-up behind it... I also see a 1st-gen Econoline and that '70ish T-Bird. (Landau?)
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Nice score!

A lot of cool vehicles in this shot, the Jeep pick-up with the Fox hatch leaning against it, the '65ish Ford pick-up behind it... I also see a 1st-gen Econoline and that '70ish T-Bird. (Landau?)
    To the immediate right of the jeep pu, there sits a '79 turbo four mustang, all original with the TRX package. To the right of that one is an '83 convertible, to the right of that one is an '85 SVO.

His yard is inactive, it was his father's yard. He likes four eyed mustangs though and has very few '87-'93 mustangs. Maybe 20-25 four eyed though. My coupe is one of the newer additions and it has sat there for fifteen years.

If you could, and it's not too much trouble, would you please get pics of all of the door tag and buck tags on all of the Foxes there? I would like to add them to the database. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    If you could, and it's not too much trouble, would you please get pics of all of the door tag and buck tags on all of the Foxes there? I would like to add them to the database. Thanks.
    I'll try to get that for you. This yard isn't active anymore, so the owner is a little sensitive about some of the cars. Plus he's only out there one day a week. It won't be immediate, but I'll get them as I can.
    Plus, I can't open the driver's door on some of them because of growth around the vehicles.

Default Getting the old boy running

So, I'm finally going to do something with this car. The plans are to basically make it a stock glx that is running for now.

I recently found two '83 convertible doors on Craigslist for $230. I only need the passenger door since the original is split along the seam along the front edge of the door and has a fairly significant amount of bodywork to be done to it. Since I found these doors that are in much better condition, I'll use the passenger door. I have already gutted the door and will pull out the small dings in it on Monday. I will have it media blasted next week, primer it block it and go ahead and paint it.

I will paint the car Kona blue since it's similar to the original, just an update with pearls and cleaner blues.

The car over the next month will get a complete fluid change, to include the brake fluid. New filters, brakes, pretty much everything.

I have already purchased new mass back carpet, dashpad, and seals for the t-top. I will be getting a new headliner, tires and more.

For now, it will just be getting a set of cheap seat covers, though I am trying to be able to swing new seat foam. If I get new foam, I'll wash the original seat covers just to get rid of the "been sitting fifteen years" smell.

I'll include pictures of the "new" door, it's moulding and the one from the new driver's door are in great condition too. Yay!

So, after sitting in the sy for the last fifteen years, the old boy will be running shortly.
    BTW, I have a nickname for my blue car to simplify things. His name is Robby (short for rusty old blue bastard)Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  78.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3765
Size:  103.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3787
Size:  91.5 KB
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 08-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.

It will be so cool to watch this car come back to life!! Thanks for sharing.

Default So I Went to Oriellys for My Truck and This Followed me Home

I was getting new brake pads, discs, flexible hoses and fresh brake fluid for my truck and I accidentally came home with extras. Got new coolant hoses, belt, carburetor rebuild kit, and a new fuel pump for Robby.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3734
Size:  125.9 KB I've got to stop spending money off of this check!

Nice find, looks like a good start for a build.

Default Boxes from Heaven

Got the first box in todayName:  image.jpg
Views: 3644
Size:  77.6 KB New rug for Robby!

I dropped off the passenger door with the media blaster today. I should have it back by Thursday and will get it in etch primer real quick. Then I'll smooth out the bottom of the door and get it in regular primer. It'll sit through the weekend, then I'll block it out, seam seal it and paint it Kona blue. We have a new clear coat at work that I can't wait to use on this car. So maybe by next Friday the door will be painted.

Friday I can get back into the sy. I'm going to bring back as many panels as I can, the hood, fenders, deck lid and bumpers. They'll all be going the same route as the passenger door.

All that will be happening for a couple days is for new boxes to be on my doorstep when I get home from work. That's a nice thing to come home to.

Default Kona Blue

So, I've been busy.

I had that red door media blasted and I repaired the dents in it and painted it Kona blue.

Ive also retrieved both fenders, front bumper and deck lid. I've had them media blasted and have finished the body work on the left fender and am close to the final blocking of it. I may have it painted this week.

I got hit with a $2000 marching band fee for my son, this delayed some of the action on the car.

I have purchased a new mass back carpet, dash pad, headliner, new seat foam, new seals all around, and all sorts of stuff for the engine. The carburetor is being soaked right now and I should reassemble it this weekend.

Ill include a couple pictures of the door, the rest of the panels you'll just have to imagine bare metal parts. I have etched primered and surface primered the parts I haven't got to the bodywork stage on yet just to keep the rust monster at bay.

Anyhow, picturesName:  image.jpg
Views: 3612
Size:  59.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3593
Size:  73.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3616
Size:  118.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3674
Size:  168.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  74.8 KB
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 AM.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Sharp color, not unlike the original '83 Blue

Love the color and the door looks straight as an arrow! Thanks for the update. Looks like you have been busy!

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for really. Just a little modernized with pearls and a little bit cleaner blue.

I probably spent about eight hours straightening it, you know how the lower part of a fox door can be. Plus I had to weld the trim holes in the top of the door. It was a door off an '83 convertible.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a picture of the left front fender painted as well. I just need to do the final blocking of it.

Ive decided to paint all of the panels off of the car. Once I have them all off, I'll get the car towed to where I'll be able to work on it. I figured it would be much easier to get the engine running and redo the interior without any of the panels on it, if for no other reason than installing the new headliner. I won't worry about the fenders either while getting the engine running. Much better to me that way.

BTW, I'm being very precise in my painting of these panels to hopefully prevent any mismatch between them once reassembled.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 09-15-2016 at 05:49 AM.

FEP Super Member

I need the passenger fender molding behind the wheel , with that same red if you find one .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping for really. Just a little modernized with pearls and a little bit cleaner blue.

I probably spent about eight hours straightening it, you know how the lower part of a fox door can be. Plus I had to weld the trim holes in the top of the door. It was a door off an '83 convertible.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a picture of the left front fender painted as well. I just need to do the final blocking of it.

Ive decided to paint all of the panels off of the car. Once I have them all off, I'll get the car towed to where I'll be able to work on it. I figured it would be much easier to get the engine running and redo the interior without any of the panels on it, if for no other reason than installing the new headliner. I won't worry about the fenders either while getting the engine running. Much better to me that way.

BTW, I'm being very precise in my painting of these panels to hopefully prevent any mismatch between them once reassembled.
    I'd say that's an excellent plan.

Cool project, the color on the door looks phenomenal....

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Man, your post is blowing up! Nobody said a word about my $700 83 glx convertible garage find. ;(

But on to the topic at hand, as far as I've noticed, no one has mentioned something amazing about this car: We're looking at a glx notch back with t tops! There were maybe 300 of these made. 1000 or so total t-top notchbacks from 82.5-83, but most of them were LX or L. That is an awesome find. Even if the poor little essex takes a lot of modding to be a powerhouse.

On a side note: I went to union HS from 00-03. What part of Tulsa do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatoscillator View Post
    Man, your post is blowing up! Nobody said a word about my $700 83 glx convertible garage find. ;(

Did you ever post anything about it here? I don't recall seeing anything?

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast