Close

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatoscillator View Post
    Small world indeed! Lol. My grandparents live around 41st and garnett. My dad lives just off of downtown.
    I'm by 81st and Garnett. Just down the road from your grandparents it looks like.

This car's paint is coming along stunningly, but where does the vehicle stand mechanically?? Lol.

My dad has a 78 TA that's not getting much love since he had a brain injury a few years back. He sanded and primed everything himself, but I should send him to you for the final paint job! If he'd get up the courage to start working on the car again, it's worth like over 30 grand cherry. It's my birth right. Lol.
    Mechanically? The engine spins with ease and I have a crap load of new parts to put on and in it. Beyond that, not much done, I'm wanting to fix all of the panels first, then I'll finally pull it from the jy and get it running. I have dipped the carburetor and will reassemble it this weekend.

Spent an hour on the decklid today. It's tough when you're anal about stuff. The decklid had no rust whatsoever on it, but it did have dents and waves! I'm almost done with the repairs, i should finish it tomorrow and get it in primer. I'll flip it over and put new seam sealer on it and maybe do the jamb side.

I would like to have it painted by friday, may be still will.

Cool find, none of the junkyards by me will sell a whole car so I've missed out on some neat stuff. I think this car will look awesome in Kona blue when it's all done!

So I've finished the bodywork on the deck lid. It's nice and straight now. I've sanded the underneath side and have masked for the new seam sealer that I'll put on it in the morning.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  89.2 KB

Hopefully I'll have it jammed tomorrow, I'll post pictures when I shoot it. I'll shoot the top side on Monday.

Got the jambs shot today, one in the sun:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  88.8 KB

Looking good.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

This car's paint is coming along stunningly, but where does the vehicle stand mechanically?? Lol.

My dad has a 78 TA that's not getting much love since he had a brain injury a few years back. He sanded and primed everything himself, but I should send him to you for the final paint job! If he'd get up the courage to start working on the car again, it's worth like over 30 grand cherry. It's my birth right. Lol.
    I was re-reading your post. A '78 TA! i was a junior in high school back then and one of my "rich" friends got one of the '79 anniversary models. The '78 was the smoky and the bandit models. I really lusted after those back then, that and the Z28. Couldn't help it, the mustang II was still being made!

PM me and i'll give you my phone number. Have your dad call me and i'll help him out if he wants the assistance. I'm 54 now, how old is he?

Finished the deck lid, i'll be starting on the front bumper tomorrow.Name:  IMG_1991.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  170.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The parts are looking great! I love the Kona Blue! It's a color that I have considered for my 84 SVO.

Can't wait to see the entire car done!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

So the front bumper........

The areas that the sun beat the paint to hell as well as the plastic underneath, really needs help. I have a tub of Polyflex to fill in the small nicks on the bumper. I had the idea to just spread some mud over it after i sanded it down a little bit. The plastic had a dry top layer of plastic in the bare areas.

I sanded off the dried plastic and realized that a few coats of primer should be my next step next step instead of the polyflex. So i sanded the whole bumper and sprayed on a layer of adhesion promoter over the bare spots and sprayed four coats of primer (with flex additive).

I'll include a picture of an area that i sanded after primering it. I'm quite pleased with the results.

So, i'll fill in the gouges and reprimer the bumper. Then sand it down and paint it.

The photos will show a few areas prior to primering so that you can see the general texture from the sun damage.

The bumper had a fairly big indention to the right if the tag area in the mouldings section. I made a jig and used a heat gun and a shrinking hammer to lightly beat it back into somewhat the original shape.Name:  IMG_1994.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  79.2 KBName:  IMG_1996.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  145.8 KBName:  IMG_1997.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  81.9 KBName:  IMG_1998.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  87.5 KB

Looking good!

You said no metal flake?

RE the front bumper: I guess as long as you get it sealed so that the sun doesn't shine on it anymore, you're all set! It's not quite like rust, where you must take steps to arrest it, but nonetheless, some chemical equations/reactions have certainly played out there...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Nice work and color option

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Looking good!

You said no metal flake?.
    Honestly. The mix only had pearls in it. I was pretty floored on how much sparkle they can produce. They're almost invisible, by comparison, in the shade.

Which flex agent did you use on bumpers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Which flex agent did you use on bumpers ?
    sherwin Williams already has flex additive in their clear coats, or so says their tech reps and the tech sheets on their products. It's in their primer as well and that may be why it hardens to a semi-gloss finish.

they're sort of sponsoring me on this car, in other words, they're giving me everything I need to take care of the body. So I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Nice hook up, same kinda thing but with MATRIX line (any input on there product ??)
    are you using same primer for metal vs plastic ??

What size tips are you using for primer vs topcoats ?

Can't wait to see this in the end stuff is laying crazy nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Nice hook up, same kinda thing but with MATRIX line (any input on there product ??)
    are you using same primer for metal vs plastic ??

What size tips are you using for primer vs topcoats ?

Can't wait to see this in the end stuff is laying crazy nice
    I don't have much experience with the Matrix line. I know that Sherwin Williams has recently bought out Valspar, so the Matrix line might become something i use in the future.

Yes, same primer, just use the adhesion promoter or etch first depending on the panel, obviously.

Im using my sealer gun to spray the primer. It has a 1.4 tip. It lays the primer out without much orange peel that way. I Just scrub my gun out really well afterwards.

I use Iowata LPH400 guns mostly btw. My clear coat gun has a 1.3 tip.

Thanks for the compliment, i'm pretty pleased so far. I'm going to try to have the bumper sanded down this afternoon and fill in the little pockmarks. I'll primer it once more. It might be monday before it gets shot.

Thanks for info

just curious what the pros use

I finished sanding the bumper down, i ran out of time to fill in the knicks. The management shut the lights off on me!

So tomorrow i'll fill those in and reprimer it. I'll let it sit over the weekend and hopefully shoot it monday.Name:  IMG_1999.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  100.5 KBName:  IMG_2001.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  82.1 KB

huh that's strange says management

He never sticks around this late lol

Lol, i really do when we're buried with work. My blue fox likes when i get a big paycheck! But, right now.....i work on my parts.

Man, that color is going to be AWESOME. Since I was a kid, my favorite colors on cars are Grabber Green, Grabber Blue, and Charcoal gray. I'm having a hard time picking what I want my 85 to be....now you're making it harder!! There's two things I wish I had learned in High school. Paint/body work and playing a guitar. Looks like I am going to learn Paint/body work 30 years later!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Man, that color is going to be AWESOME. Since I was a kid, my favorite colors on cars are Grabber Green, Grabber Blue, and Charcoal gray. I'm having a hard time picking what I want my 85 to be....now you're making it harder!! There's two things I wish I had learned in High school. Paint/body work and playing a guitar. Looks like I am going to learn Paint/body work 30 years later!
    Personally,.....I hink he needs to repaint it Orange...

Orange is the new black.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    Personally,.....I hink he needs to repaint it Orange...

Orange is the new black.
    Haha, that gets my vote too!

Looking good Dave, thanks for giving the rookies some insights into the professional world and way of doing things!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast