Close

Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

What I would really like are these. This is a buddy of mine's car. I love these wheelsName:  IMG_0460.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  277.1 KB

The 93 Cobra wheels are good looking wheels IMHO. I have liked them since the 93 Cobra was first introduced.

The reproductions fit the 4 eyes well and are relatively inexpensive. I would love a set, but I would have to go in on the group buy that happens every couple of 3 years for the 5 lug versions.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The 93 Cobra wheels are good looking wheels IMHO. I have liked them since the 93 Cobra was first introduced.

The reproductions fit the 4 eyes well and are relatively inexpensive. I would love a set, but I would have to go in on the group buy that happens every couple of 3 years for the 5 lug versions.
    See Trey, there's my small dilemma. I'm stuck with my ten hole wheels for about a year. It's the choice of getting the nicer wheels soon and not buying the fuel injection system. I will really need the FI system if I want the car to run.

I'm horribly impatient with what I want for the car.....I will be buying an EXTRA lottery ticker tomorrow, that'll take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    See Trey, there's my small dilemma. I'm stuck with my ten hole wheels for about a year. It's the choice of getting the nicer wheels soon and not buying the fuel injection system. I will really need the FI system if I want the car to run.

I'm horribly impatient with what I want for the car.....I will be buying an EXTRA lottery ticker tomorrow, that'll take care of it.
    Dave, Trust me I understand the dilemma! I have the same issue right now as you since I am working on two projects also. I am constantly trying to determine what I HAVE to buy right now rather than what I WANT to buy right now to get the cars done. What can be done at a later date and not cause me more work, cost me more money, or require me to tear the car down again!

Honestly I am just relieved to hear that the 10 holes are temporary!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Supporter

I would love a set, but I would have to go in on the group buy that happens every couple of 3 years for the 5 lug versions.
    Why wait? LMR has them in stock right now.

https://lmr.com/item/WK-1007RSLR5/mu...ver-5-lug-7993

BTW I'm biased to the '93 Cobra wheels too. I have them on my '85!
    '85 GT

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

That thing likes the sun man rock steelies if you had too lol

I've seen many blues but you nailed it very nice work nice talent

Next color for me hands down on the next go-round on next project

Wheels and tires are a lot easier to add at a later date than an EFI set-up, so I think you made a good choice. Still think ten holes are ugly.

I do like the turbines though.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Look what Mike1157 gave me!Name:  IMG_3231.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  103.7 KB

I now have my very own little japanese kid!

My blue car will rattle it's t-tops right off

Thanks Mike, you're way too nice to me!

Make sure to add your Coffee Can exhaust tip so you can really fit in!

Cool gesture by Mike1157 and just another reason why I like FEP so much!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

93 Cobra wheels are awesome... I have them in my 81 and also have a chrome set that will be installing in my 89 GT Vert....

I can imagine that Kona Blue beauty dressed up with a set of 93 Cobra wheels! Sexy!

Yet what's the latest on this project. I miss seeing the updates and tricks you use to restore parts.

Things are to the point where I need to spend money.

We've been through the longest slow period I've ever been through at work (11 months), and I've been working in a body shop since '77 so I've got at least 40 years now to compare to. Things are finally turning around.

I had to take on a sizeble side job (a '62 Impala resto) just to keep up on bills. That has been sucking away my life for a bit, and probably will for another couple months.

Up until this slow period, I could pretty easily drop $500-$1000 a month on the project. Not so much at the moment though.

But, like I said, work is finally picking back up. So I'll be doing some small crap for the next couple months and then the game should return to the scheduled events.

I will be finishing those ten hole wheels I got for the very next thing. I'm going to strip down the one I've already painted and redo it. So with in the next week I'll start posting pictures of that.

I will also be running out to the yard to get stuff from the engine bay that I intend to re-use and make those things nice.

The Impala really sucks away my time right now, but it's helping me to rebuild the damage caused by the slow down. I work on it three nights a week and every Saturday at the moment.

So, not forgotten, just waiting its turn to be the one worked on.

Sounds like you need to move up here to Omaha Dave. There is a shortage of body shops that have empty parking lots as no one up here seems to know how to drive. Business is booming here.

Seriously though, I hope work picks up for you here soon, you get the Imp done and can start getting back to your ride. I can't wait to see some updates.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I completely understand!

If you were running 5 lugs, I would give you a set of Cobra R's just to save the car from the 10 holes!

Bottom line the polished lip with the grey looks good . . . well for a 10 hole!
    Trey, If you are trying to get rid of a set of five lug Cobra Rs, I wish I lived a lot closer to you!!!
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Sounds like you need to move up here to Omaha Dave. There is a shortage of body shops that have empty parking lots as no one up here seems to know how to drive. Business is booming here.

Seriously though, I hope work picks up for you here soon, you get the Imp done and can start getting back to your ride. I can't wait to see some updates.
    Thanks Brock, it already is better. Funny how work died right when I needed to start spending money!

First things I'll be buying when the bills are caught up will be the floor pan, crossmember and subframe connectors.

Sucks about the work slowing down for a while. Glad it's picking back up. That's the way it always goes. Just when you're to the point of having to spend money it's not there.

Dang! Almost 2 months and no updates.

Hopefully Dave is just buried in paying work.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Dang! Almost 2 months and no updates.

Hopefully Dave is just buried in paying work.
    Hey Brock, I seem to be working all of the time these days.

Things will be happening soon though.

I believe I will be changing the way I wanted to do the drivetrain. Tell me what y'all think of this. The yard owner where I found my little beauty has several supercoupe t-birds. He is willing to part one out (the one with a blown head gasket). I'm thinking of putting the engine from the supercoupe into the blue car.....

I know this is a departure from what i've been talking about, but it's a little different and it will provide me with all the power a t-top coupe needs without having to throw in a roll cage.

Im thinking that i'm dragging the old boy out of the yard in about two weeks.

I had to let go of the red car, It's been a year since worked slowed. I can't afford two mustangs that both need time and money. It was, and wasn't tough to choose one. I've put a lot of effort into both, but the blue car needs me more (lol) so I chose that one.

I will get the engine out of the supercoupe as soon as I can. The blown headgasket means nothing to me since I will strip it down anyhow and rebuild it.

Anyhow, there's a brief update.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 08-07-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Hey Dave! I'm glad you popped in with an update....good or bad. Glad to hear you are still kicking.

Hate to hear about the red car being sold as that was a beauty, but I fully understand the issue with having 2 projects and not enough time and money. I'm sure the blue car will be that much better and make up for the red car.

I for one like the idea of the 3.8 S/C swap as it is different and can be made to have tons of power, with a bit of a financial investment. One good resource for performance parts is Super Coupe Performance. I have bought some stuff from Bill in the past and he is pretty passionate and knowledgeable about the powerplant.

I would do this swap in something myself, even if it is a bit of a pain to rewire. You can check out Rick's thread as he has been doing this for awhile on his and looks to be he has it pretty well documented on what he has had to do.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ust-a-six-quot

Looking forward to more updates and glad you checked in bud.
    Brock

Dave....a 3.8 SC Swap? Nice! Doing something different! I like it!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Dave....a 3.8 SC Swap? Nice! Doing something different! I like it!
    ^ He's been Matosky'ed. Your Next .Dave, me and droopie

May you all never recover!

When you get "Matosky'ed" you start off with a brain full of mush, and then end up being sassy enough to use Jesse Jame's Dillon Aero minigun to shoot holes thru the block to fit the non standard roller lifters for a 425 hp boosted engine based on a Junkyard block. Add cement, some Bundy Tubing, and some kind of off the charts internals, and job done.

Your soaring with the Eagles of Scarp Metal, DaCP! Mike M is really the Jessie Hughes of Fox Car Modding, and its rubbing off...

Great engine hiding in the Essex 90.

If you follow through, its very strong, despite what others say. Ford spent a bunch on that MN12 engine, and they would have spent more, but like the 302 Windsor from 1970 to 1981, (hobbled down to 129 to 140 hp) they had other engines that Ford didn't wanna show up, so it got put on the Elephant Tranquilizers. The 4.6 Cammer and the DOKE, um, DOHC, would have looked really SAD if a lowly iron block econo engine would have passed the 300 ponies barrier. If the M90 blower becomes an M112, and the plstktnkr2 mods Rick has done are continued with, that's what you get.

I think its mandatory to have US military back ground to build a non bent 8 right...

The lines from the supercharger and intercooler as so cleaver, but so restrictive, and the charge cooler woefully inadequate, and the M90 really too small compared to what the later Holden Commodore SV6 Supercharged GM 3800 could take. There is a potential 400 hp engine in the Essex 90.

Hot Sixes were a very bad option for Ford...it steals V8 Thunder. Just like all six cylinder engines that shared the engine bay with a Ford V8, they down tuned them, gave them bad pistons, thinwall castings and always, ALWAYS ,added some dumb a$$ screw up to ensure they weren't an HO 5.0 or Romeo 4.6 DOHC.

The Supercharged MN12, it never got the basic V6 improvement hardware even the 305 hp 3.7 Mustang V6 got on a compartive, year for year basis.

I think youre on the right track Davey, it was born that way...A legit, hardcore Henry Bent Six.
    Last edited by xctasy; 08-13-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Dave A car painter...not DAVE tHE car painter...

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I've got a friend that's a wiz-bang expert on car computers, specifically for fox bodies. I may be doing a quasi-aftermarket set up. He has me pretty well convinced that the SC computer from the t-bird is ancient crap.

I already have things lined up to port the blower and another for the heads. I've already been drooling over SC Performance's stuff Brock, LOTS of want to buy stuff there. The Hooker headers would be ultra btchin'. $800 though....maybe I can do another side job

I was going to go look at it (and get pictures) yesterday, but the yard owner's grandson had a seizure and he had to watch the rest of the grandkids for his daughter. So, no yard time.

Still hoping to pick up the blue car next week, at the earliest. Maybe as late as the week after.

I'll update as soon as something happens.

Well, your half way there.

We dud thee a member of ROBH

"the Royal Order of Box-Heads"

its a 6 cyl society, if you have to ask, then, your not a member....

Oh, and Post Script on the Essex 90 is this...its unique, and Ford benchmarked the 3.8 Buick, but there is not one copied detail.
    https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...592878#p592878
    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    It shares no production line tooling or design with

1. any other Ford V8 engine, or

2. any other makers V6 engine. The Buick thing is just an observation, as the whole engine is layed out exactly the same spatially, but differs in every measurement

Its 100% unique. Ford made money by deciding to make it fit other V8 parts inventory, and have it cast in the Essex plant in Ontario, Canada.

Its 9.206" deck height is Cleveland 351 style, but there is not one shred of v8 iron that was ever made that the 3.8 (and later 3.9 and 4.2 V6) design was based on.

Proof?

The Essex 90 degree V6 with even fire, 30 degree offset crank pins has no offset conrod, the litmus test for if a 90 degree V6 is a cut down 90 degree V8.

Ford got mileage out a of the totally unique Ontario, Canada Essex plant.

Ford made three versions of cylinder blocks based off of one casting.

1. A standard RWD 3.8, then a host of Front drive 3.8 and different capacity RWD/4WD 3.9/4.2 Essex 90's (still similar to Job One, but mounts varied, newly added balance shafts varied, but its basically the same)
    2. its revised Supercharged 1989-1994 MN12, block heaver, different crank, a host of upgrades (2nd version)

3. then in 1986 to 1995, a very special, SVO 4.5 liter, 272 cubic inch engine matched to SVO E380 and J 380 cylinder head SVO style block with repitched 4.48" bore centers. Produced in the same plant!

The engine above uses a 302 Thick Film Ignition system with a stock six cylinder cap, and each cylinder is 287 thou further apart, 300 Ford style.

Its normally 4.193" bore spacing engine with a half cylinder plus 110 thou left to right bank offset so the 30 degree offset crank doesn't create offset conrods. This 110 thou offset means its average bore spacings are in fact the same as the BOP 215/300/345, Rover 3500/3.9/4.6, and Buick V6's.

Ford benchmarked that engine, and used it as its target for weight, cost and performance.

All cut down V8's that are even fire have the dreaded shared conrod crank flange like this.

The ESSEX 90 and SVO's do to, but the rods are not offset between the wrist pins and gudgeon pins.

The small block Ford was 4.375" in all types, 1954-1962 Y block, 1962-2003 Windsor, 1970-1983 Cleveland, 1975- 1983 Modifieds and 1970-1983 400's...none related to the Essex 90 at all.

The Essex 90 uses a lot of other Ford parts....almost the same as Windsor 351W con rod sizes with the big ends, and the 351 W 28 oz external unbalance flexplate, the 255 V8 catalystic converter header down pipes, and the SBF 6 bolt crank pattern.

Doing this allowed Ford to come close to copying a lot of the BOP V8 215/ Buick V6 196/225/231/3.8 liter bore spacings,

a similar front mounted oil pump and front mounted distributor, but its block is custom made to splice the left and right bank to remove the even fire crank flange between the conrods, a nasty feature of all SBC 200/229/262 V6's and GM 3800 and Buick 3.0/3300 and 231's.

The common hard dimensions of the block height allows the use of of the 5.8 conrods, and then the use of the 351W 28 oz unbalance 164 teeth flexplate and AOD, or the 164 flexplate and C5 auto. The 3.8 was dropped from the Mustang in 1987, and when it returnied in 1994, it got an optional T5 manual with 157 teeth flywheel and either 28 or 39 oz external unbalance.

In 1986, Ford was able to repitch the bore spacings and make a visually similar tall deck Essex 90 V6 with Ford 300 Big Six bore spacings, taller 9.5" racing block. Fords versistility with block castings ensured the bore spacings could be repitched without too much cost, just like how the the SVO WC 351 Cleveland engines could be made on the Windsor production line.

The one year only E8ZM 6049 E380 canted valve heads (298 in, 227 ex flow @ 600. 2.125/1.710 valves) got replaced with the non canted E9ZM 6049 J380 heads....Fords race SVO and production Essex 90 development knew no boundaires, it was an exceptionally versitile "clean sheet" design that used a lot of production Ford parts.

Drop the EECIV wiring protocol, and Megasquirt it as suggested.

95% of all Ford luxobarge Specialty Coupe engines are designed and run in as automatics.

5 speed gearbox swaps to a well run in automatic car are a risk to the thrust bearing on these engines, but its less of an issue than in, say, a Teskid block 4.6 .

You just have to ensure the T5 transplant keeps the input shaft straight an true, and have someone check the following.

Ford don't have a lot of obvoius witness marks on the stock flywheel, but there is one 80 or 90 thou hole that has to be checked to esnure the flywheel hasn't been over machined. Its easy to have them machined to far down, below the .905" minimum thickness limit from its at birth 0.985". The clutch pressure plate should ideally be balanced as a unit, and the run out on the main shaft checked. There are maximum bottoming out dimensions. If the 1994 was automatic before going manual, sometimes a selective, cumulation of normal production variances results in a shunting of the thrust bearing.

With Fords, the bellhousing sometimes doesn't sit right in the center the way it should, loading up the mainshaft and creating an overload at various postions between the clutch being "in" and "out".

Excuse my spelling on the following two discussions.

Varilux https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...588641#p588641

the multi-talented Omini-present Stormin' Norman (both he and I are in two places at the same time, unfaithfull double dippers....

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-Information
    (viewtopic https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...583012#p583012 as well)

Fords just require a little more effort to set up, because they use variations on the same part, and 10 years difference can cause some major issues.

1. Most common first checks are the clutch diameter...if its bigger than stock it can hit the bellhousing, Stormin'Normans problem

2. Second is the wear on the main shaft, and the right throw out engagment. Stuff can contact and cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Oh, and Post Script on the Essex 90 is this...its unique, and Ford benchmarked the 3.8 Buick, but there is not one copied detail.
    https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...592878#p592878

Drop the EECIV wiring protocol, and Megasquirt it as suggested.

95% of all Ford luxobarge Specialty Coupe engines are designed and run in as automatics.

5 speed gearbox swaps to a well run in automatic car are a risk to the thrust bearing on these engines, but its less of an issue than in, say, a Teskid block 4.6 .

You just have to ensure the T5 transplant keeps the input shaft straight an true, and have someone check the following.

Ford don't have a lot of obvoius witness marks on the stock flywheel, but there is one 80 or 90 thou hole that has to be checked to esnure the flywheel hasn't been over machined. Its easy to have them machined to far down, below the .905" minimum thickness limit from its at birth 0.985". The clutch pressure plate should ideally be balanced as a unit, and the run out on the main shaft checked. There are maximum bottoming out dimensions. If the 1994 was automatic before going manual, sometimes a selective, cumulation of normal production variances results in a shunting of the thrust bearing.

With Fords, the bellhousing sometimes doesn't sit right in the center the way it should, loading up the mainshaft and creating an overload at various postions between the clutch being "in" and "out".

Excuse my spelling on the following two discussions.

Varilux https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...588641#p588641

the multi-talented Omini-present Stormin' Norman (both he and I are in two places at the same time, unfaithfull double dippers....

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-Information
    (viewtopic https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...583012#p583012 as well)

Fords just require a little more effort to set up, because they use variations on the same part, and 10 years difference can cause some major issues.

1. Most common first checks are the clutch diameter...if its bigger than stock it can hit the bellhousing, Stormin'Normans problem

2. Second is the wear on the main shaft, and the right throw out engagment. Stuff can contact and cause problems.
    THAT was a big couple of post!

To answer a couple things, My car will get a new flywheel and clutch, no worries there. From what a I understood, I thought the essex was neutrally balanced?

I haven't worked out the details yet of the complete swap, hell, I haven't even seen the engine yet! This will take a little time, which is good, I have more than a little to learn.

Lastly, I thought I looked good with the box......

Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast