Close

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1501

Nothing like laying on your back to weld. I just did that to put a winch in my car trailer. I'm pretty sure I used every four letter word as hot sparks rolled around and got under my back.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Nothing like laying on your back to weld. I just did that to put a winch in my car trailer. I'm pretty sure I used every four letter word as hot sparks rolled around and got under my back.
    Geez! I understand that! I have a burn on the back of my neck

Ahh, fond memories of the many times I've had a hot spark land followed by a reactionary bashing of my head on every sharp object under the car trying to dislodge the searing ember.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Geez! I understand that! I have a burn on the back of my neck
    I have a shirt full of burn holes and my whole right side was dotted in red burn marks.
    I told my wife that if any man ever tells her he likes welding overhead she was to look him in the eye and call him a liar!
    I wasnt a happy camper til I was done.
    Last edited by dagenham; 09-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

That's why you need to have a brother that welds and make HIM lay under the car and weld the subframes in. I took him out and bought him Mexican and 2 32oz Dos XX afterwards. I think I got the better end of the deal!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

No special pictures tonight.

Except maybe for this. It's my new iphone X phone wireless charger. It's like something from the Jetsons and I'm Jed Clampett saying, "Welllllll doggy......"
    Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  102.2 KB
    I did grind down about ten of my oh so pretty rosette welds along the pinch weld.

Tomorrow night I'll finish the welding and then start making it all pretty.

Looks good, you do great work.

Thanks man, I really see all the faults though.

I will get better at each thing as I go (pretty welding maybe).

Thank you nonetheless.

I went home for lunch today and ground down the rest of the rosette weld along the pinch seam.
    Name:  8C31706F-7D86-4B30-B36E-96EC4B42F73E.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  107.3 KB
    I believe I’ll be doing some stitch welding along the edge of the seam as well. Maybe several 3-4” sections.

Some welding will be done tonight.

There's a distinct possibility that I might be a moron..........I accept the challenge!

So, I was brainstorming......The problem with welding the pinch weld area is the outgassing of whatever the welder is burning up between the inner and outer rocker panel, right?

So maybe with a little applied heat from my handy dandy torch I could turn that crap into dust before I weld.
    Name:  IMG_0027.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  100.6 KB
    I sure was hoping, alas, I suck and am stupid. The torch did nothing.

It was popping and generally looking ugly, I tried the overlapping spotweld maneuver, a little better but still kind of ugly.

To make things great, wire stops coming out of the torch. So I'm thinking I have a rats nest to clean up inside the welder. Ah no......I ran out of wire. Off to the store.

I get the new wire run back through the machine and go back after it. The welds still suck......but they have a brown residue around them.....somebody weep for me please......I forgot to turn the gas back on after I ran the new wire.
    Name:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  121.2 KB
    Of course by this time I have almost finished all of the pinch weld I wanted to weld. I got a couple more spot welds that turned out nicely at this stage.

I figured I better check my brown ugly spotwelds for adhesion, so I ground a little of it (not too much, the wife was home). I seem to have been lucky.

Tonight I was just way too worn out from work to do anything.

Though the Snap-on guy came by todd........

I bought this beautiful little carbide tip for my die grinder.
    Name:  IMG_0030.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  52.3 KB
    I've been borrowing other people's tips because I didn't want to pony up the change for it ($69 with tax).

Tomorrow looks nutty busy at work for me, but I will break out my compressor and give this new bit a try!

If I can't weld pretty enough, I'm going to have the tools to make it look pretty.

I just remembered hearing this years ago.

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't.

Not that I'm knocking your welding abilities

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    I just remembered hearing this years ago.

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't.

Not that I'm knocking your welding abilities

Jess
    How true.......

I'm hoping I can take what I learned on this side and make the other side even nicer. If not, I have the tools to make it look nice! lol

I did something with that carbide burr bit today.
    Name:  IMG_0033.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  139.0 KB
    I just am amazed how quick a new bit will cut. I know I shouldn't be, but geez it's fast.

Downside right now is I'm covered in little tiny metal shavings. Ouch is a very popular word with me at the moment.

I want to get the welded areas coated in POR15 tonight. I have a little more welding to do to the pinch weld area. I'm trying to weld about two inches to either side of the cross braces. Then I'll dress those welds and brush out the POR15. Though I won't be using the POR15 on the outside of the rocker at all. I'll spray a little etch primer just to protect the metal.

I finished welding the cs in. I didn't dress the welds because.........football.........
    Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  98.4 KB
    I tried something different with the pinch seam and came out with a fairly nice weld at the end......figures. Hopefully I will use this knowledge on the passenger side to good effect.
    Name:  IMG_0037.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  70.3 KB
    My son and I put the new wheels on his mustang today, that's him in the background airing the tires up. His old wheels are my official five lug rollers for Booger.
    Name:  IMG_0036.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  111.0 KBName:  IMG_0035.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  142.2 KB
    Tomorrow, I'll clean up the welds and coat the bare metal with POR15, except for the outer pinch weld area, I'll be smoothing it.

No offense but those wheels looked good on your sons car but not yours. JMHO The ten holes will look much better I think.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

No offense but those wheels looked good on your sons car but not yours. JMHO The ten holes will look much better I think.
    Oh, you must have missed Dave's post. This is the wheel fitment he will be going for.

Personally I don't think they fill up the wheel wells, but hey it's not my car.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  7.4 KB
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I have a shirt full of burn holes and my whole right side was dotted in red burn marks.
    I told my wife that if any man ever tells her he likes welding overhead she was to look him in the eye and call him a liar!
    I wasnt a happy camper til I was done.
    Perhaps it's time you guys invested in the proper PPE?
    http://www.blackstallion.com/product...alaclavas.html
    This paired with a good jacket and you will be able to overhead weld in relative comfort!

Car looks good Dave!

Lol !!

Quote Originally Posted by flyin5-o View Post
    Perhaps it's time you guys invested in the proper PPE?
    http://www.blackstallion.com/product...alaclavas.html
    This paired with a good jacket and you will be able to overhead weld in relative comfort!

Car looks good Dave!
    That's not really an option down south in the summer. You would actually melt from the trapped heat wearing all that PPE before you could finish welding!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That's not really an option down south in the summer. You would actually melt from the trapped heat wearing all that PPE before you could finish welding!
    Ain’t that the truth! Besides, I’ll heal from the little burns.

So yesterday I finished dressing the welds and covered the bare metal in POR15.
    Name:  1DFCB05F-633B-4754-8164-A8C631EF27FD.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  119.5 KBName:  35876000-691B-4BCE-8F0E-13EF1088F497.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  109.5 KB
    I sprayed a little etch primer on the outer rocker. I’m going to smooth that area shortly.
    Name:  DEFC70FA-F10D-47B0-9A99-CBE4F7AEB1D7.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  121.9 KB
    I may wait for the undercoating and paint till I get the right cs built and do it all at once. I will be putting seam sealer on the tops of the bars I couldn’t weld.

So! On to the passenger side!
    Name:  DF4140F6-C3E5-4A1C-A231-928CD77D093D.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  102.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The human turkey roaster! I already see guys up north and in Canada talking about parking their cars for the season, or there was so snow this morning. Heck, it was 96 here Thursday. It's been cloudy and raining since....but this afternoon the sun came out for a minute and it jumped up to 86 and 100% humidity instantly. It feels nasty outside.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    The human turkey roaster! I already see guys up north and in Canada talking about parking their cars for the season, or there was so snow this morning. Heck, it was 96 here Thursday. It's been cloudy and raining since....but this afternoon the sun came out for a minute and it jumped up to 86 and 100% humidity instantly. It feels nasty outside.
    The question is Drew, did you feel nasty inside?

Ok, the passenger side. I'll post the initial pictures of me making that side. If y'all want, I'll post pictures as I go through it. Otherwise, second verse, same as the first.....

I measured out where the diagonal rungs go and dressed the jr in those areas for welding. I dressed the entire other side for the pinch weld area.
    Name:  IMG_0043.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  185.1 KB
    Then I tacked it to the rocker.
    Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  111.4 KB
    and made the first rung and welded it up partially.
    Name:  IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  120.6 KB
    BTW, I'm going high tech on the chassis support, lol. This is just like a CAD program.......
    Name:  IMG_0046.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  90.0 KB
    I have to remodel the kids bathroom soon, so I'll be taking a short break from Booger then.

I just ordered the countertop, it'll be two weeks before we get it. So maybe I can at least get this side cs fabricated first.

Redoing my kids bathroom is sucking my life away right now. Maybe about another week and I’ll be back on Booger.

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast