Close

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

I get it Dave. Some people read or paint or jog. I can't wait to start splicing the 95 harness into my 79 and repairing what's left of my 79 harness... and having it all work when I'm done

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    When?!? Most of us can't wait either!
    Hell, probably a month or so. I have to finish the instrument panel and then get the driver's door done first. Things are on the brink of being really good for the blue car and me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    I get it Dave. Some people read or paint or jog. I can't wait to start splicing the 95 harness into my 79 and repairing what's left of my 79 harness... and having it all work when I'm done
    That's it! I'm even excited about the wiring. I can't wait to see your car done as well. The build really is as much fun as the driving.

Default Odds and Ends

Here's today's progress.

I got the b-pillar seat belt bolt covers painted black.Name:  IMG_2687.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  128.7 KB

I spread some mud on the driver's side rocker moulding, etched it and primered it. I also filled the hole that a PO has put in the passenger's side rear (I used my favorite Panel Bonding Adhesive for this).Name:  IMG_2686.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  81.0 KB

I also tore the instrument panel the rest of the way down. I will paint the IP frame while it's out. There are lots of cracks and breaks to repair. I have three pieces that fell completely off. I can fix it. It'll probably take about a week to repair it. I'll just take one section at a time and make sure it's right.Name:  IMG_2684.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  101.7 KBName:  IMG_2685.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  36.4 KB

One question for y'all. Is the switch in this picture the stereo amp switch? It wasn't connected when I removed the IP. It's in the right place. The car does have the amp with original connectors.Name:  IMG_2681.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  91.8 KB

FEP Supporter

Not sure about the switch but I'll offer up that while you've got the dash out you could prep the radio opening for whatever type of deck you're going to install; either 2 shaft or DIN.

If going DIN, IMO it would look good using textured ABS plastic and it should be easy to get a piece from the local car stereo shop large enough to fill the entire opening. I'd trim it to fit real nice in the opening (and also cut the hole for the DIN mount cage) and then bond it into the opening now so when you paint it it will look like it came like that. Personally, I'd want to reinforce the rear of the opening too with maybe 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic, ABS or even wood, sandwiching the dash hull plastic in between resulting in that area becoming totally solid.

That way, if you wanted to put a CD player in and jam some mighty Van Halen (of course, I would expect it would be a Dave version...), you'd be way less likely to have any skipping issues due to a flimsy mounting scenario.

Just a suggestion that probably wasn't needed. I'm sure you're already one step ahead!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Not sure about the switch but I'll offer up that while you've got the dash out you could prep the radio opening for whatever type of deck you're going to install; either 2 shaft or DIN.

If going DIN, IMO it would look good using textured ABS plastic and it should be easy to get a piece from the local car stereo shop large enough to fill the entire opening. I'd trim it to fit real nice in the opening (and also cut the hole for the DIN mount cage) and then bond it into the opening now so when you paint it it will look like it came like that. Personally, I'd want to reinforce the rear of the opening too with maybe 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic, ABS or even wood, sandwiching the dash hull plastic in between resulting in that area becoming totally solid.

That way, if you wanted to put a CD player in and jam some mighty Van Halen (of course, I would expect it would be a Dave version...), you'd be way less likely to have any skipping issues due to a flimsy mounting scenario.

Just a suggestion that probably wasn't needed. I'm sure you're already one step ahead!
    Truthfully, I know little to nothing concerning the stereo set up.

I do know i want to keep a stock configuration for the speakers, but beyond that, I'm a blind squirrel looking for a nut.

I will have to study the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    One question for y'all. Is the switch in this picture the stereo amp switch? It wasn't connected when I removed the IP. It's in the right place. The car does have the amp with original connectors.Name:  IMG_2681.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  91.8 KB
    Correct Dave. That should look like this..

Name:  Amp Pull Switch Location.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  54.0 KB

Here's a reference thread for you also.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...switch-Install
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Correct Dave. That should look like this..

Name:  Amp Pull Switch Location.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  54.0 KB

Here's a reference thread for you also.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...switch-Install
    Thanks Brock

Thanks Brock
    Any time bud.

Not sure if you plan on retaining the factory amp or not but they were not that great. I think they were good for around 15-20 watts of boost and I'm not sure how complex they are to tie into an aftermarket radio. I imagine it could be done and would give the high power aftermarket head a bit more boost, but you are going to need some good aftermarket speakers to make it sound good. 80's rock distortion, caused by crappy speakers, needs to be left in the past. Ironically it sounded good back then, but is a total letdown in this day and age.
    Brock

Hey qwikgts NO POLOTICS! seriously bringing up van Halen Dave or sammy, where are your maners?

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Hey qwikgts NO POLOTICS! seriously bringing up van Halen Dave or sammy, where are your maners?
    ^^^^

Since we had to go here, we ALL know that the best one was Gary Cherone back in 96-98!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 02-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    Brock

Any time bud.

Not sure if you plan on retaining the factory amp or not but they were not that great. I think they were good for around 15-20 watts of boost and I'm not sure how complex they are to tie into an aftermarket radio. I imagine it could be done and would give the high power aftermarket head a bit more boost, but you are going to need some good aftermarket speakers to make it sound good. 80's rock distortion, caused by crappy speakers, needs to be left in the past. Ironically it sounded good back then, but is a total letdown in this day and age.
    My initial exploits for the stereo will be as cheap as i can get just to have music in a mustang that drives. Once the car is moving under it's own power i'll really dive into the electronics. I want bluetooth bad. Really good speakers by 2018. Mike1157 could chime in here to help out a poor illiterate t-top owner wantin' to larn good 'bout that stairio stuff..... Not that he reads my thread.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra
    My bad... I guess I should have done a poll first!
    I can see how it would turn out though; Dave and Sam would be neck and neck with a bunch of votes split between them. Then, there would be Brock... (No harm meant, Sir!) See below... lol

^^^^

Since we had to go here, we ALL know that the best one was Gary Cherone back in 96-98!
    I will say Extreme wasn't totally bad. There's still a few tracks I like to listen to now and then.

(Sorry for the brief threadjack Dave...)
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    My bad... I guess I should have done a poll first!
    I can see how it would turn out though; Dave and Sam would be neck and neck with a bunch of votes split between them. Then, there would be Brock... (No harm meant, Sir!) See below... lol

I will say Extreme wasn't totally bad. There's still a few tracks I like to listen to now and then.

(Sorry for the brief threadjack Dave...)
    Just doing my part to make sure no man gets left behind.

My initial exploits for the stereo will be as cheap as i can get just to have music in a mustang that drives. Once the car is moving under it's own power i'll really dive into the electronics. I want bluetooth bad. Really good speakers by 2018. Mike1157 could chime in here to help out a poor illiterate t-top owner wantin' to larn good 'bout that stairio stuff..... Not that he reads my thread.
    More than likely, the speakers that are currently in the car are probably shot so now would be the time to replace. At least at the bare minimum, replace the dash speakers so you won't have to fool with it again. Another member recommended these, http://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/GX302...upport&start=1, as they sound good, fit perfectly and are a killer buy. Might need just a little clearance work under the dash pad.

I ordered a set for mine because at the price, I couldn't refuse. Have yet to try them though......need a head unit.
    Brock

Default Steering Wheel

I got my new cruise control buttons. So I finished up the steering wheel.Name:  IMG_2688.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  134.4 KB

I got my new cruise control buttons. So I finished up the steering wheel.Name:  IMG_2688.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  134.4 KB
    That looks AMAZING! I need a set of those buttons as mine are peeling and look like crap.
    Brock

They were only $28. Still in the oe box too.

They were only $28. Still in the oe box too.
    Nice! I'm debating just going to a non cruise wheel as they look better than the goofy looking A-frame wheel. I have no idea why Ford's engineers used such an odd steering wheel for cruise in 84.
    Brock

Nice! I'm debating just going to a non cruise wheel as they look better than the goofy looking A-frame wheel. I have no idea why Ford's engineers used such an odd steering wheel for cruise in 84.
    They were probably Van Hagar fans

They were probably Van Hagar fans
    I literally just shot soda out of my nose when I read that. Thanks alot! Made mental note not have fluids in my mouth when I click on any of your posts.
    Brock

I am not to be blamed for an accidental soda drowning

Default Rocker Moldings

I finally had a little time to do something. During lunch I did the bodywork and reprimered the rocker moldings. I'll shoot them next Monday with the trim grey.Name:  IMG_2690.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  70.8 KB Name:  IMG_2691.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  79.8 KBName:  IMG_2692.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  77.9 KB

Default Rocker Trim

I finally did something again!

We hired another bodyman at work and I've been busy doing customer cars. This is very OK. I have new floor boards and bunches of other stuff to buy. Money is a good thing, at least when restoring an old mustang.

I blocked out the primer, and these rocker mouldings are way straighter than i thought they would be. I sprayed rocker chip guard on them first since they'll get lots of abuse down at the rockers. Then i sealed and painted them the grey trim color and cleared them with an eggshell finish.

I know, I see the orange peel. That's the rocker chip guard and I'm very cool with that.Name:  IMG_2695.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  56.4 KBName:  IMG_2696.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  65.7 KBBTW, That's an idiot ex-helper that's a painter now being a douche in the window.Name:  IMG_2697.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  63.9 KB

I also scrubbed the instrument panel down with some heavy duty soap and water. It looks so nice now, that is if you can forget that it's blue and has cracks all over it! I can't be sure i'll begin the repairs tomorrow, i want to, but i have paying jobs getting in the way.

Ill try to post a before and after picture of the rocker mouldings tomorrow. They really look brand freaking new. I'm really pleased with something that won't get more attention than my feet getting in and out of the car!
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 03-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.

If you get a chance, can you upload some close ups of your vacuum lines? My gramps bought almost the same car with the intention to fix it up and drive it with the top down but unfortunately had a stroke while the carb was off and has forgotten how the vac lines are ran. I think he has run lines in the wrong places and I can't seem to get them right, he's given up on trying to get the car running again so I'm trying to fix it for him as a surprise.

Thanks in advance, and that is some awesome resto you've got going on!!

It'll be a bit yet. I have the carburetor off my car right now too. Probably at least two months before I tackle the engine.

You need to get this ford service manual, it'll help a lot in that area. I found a complete ford service manual set on ebay for $65, btw.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  95.0 KB

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast