Close

Default Engine Compartment cleaning

My engine compartment has gotten filthy from sitting this past year. I didn't realize how dirty it could get.

What's the best method to clean it it? Any recommendations for products? I know that I need to protect the battery and distributor...anything else under the hood of a Turbo GT that requires special care?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Supporter

Im using a washcloth, soapy water, a screwdriver and elbow grease to get a majority of the hard to get stuff. Them I'll re-evaluate.
    I do not have a bunch of oily grunge to deal with at least and I'm not planning on going underneath right now to look at the rack, pan etc.
    What are you dealing with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I hit the car wash, pop the hood and go to town, then go back home when I'm finished. I never try to protect or cover anything. Hasn't hurt the car for at least 5 years.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Im using a washcloth, soapy water, a screwdriver and elbow grease to get a majority of the hard to get stuff. Them I'll re-evaluate.
    I do not have a bunch of oily grunge to deal with at least and I'm not planning on going underneath right now to look at the rack, pan etc.
    What are you dealing with?
    Nothing greasy or oily. The car has never leaked a drop. It's mostly dirt and dust that's accumulated all over underneath the hood. One of the drawbacks of having to park it outside 24/7. I was reading about spray on/hose off under-hood cleaning products, but I don't want to use anything too harsh. With the 100+ degree temps we've been having, I just wanted to do a quick overall cleaning since its too hot to do anything with any great detail. I'll have to do that in a few months when things cool down. I'm just concerned about all the sensors, etc., getting wet, so I don't want to get too crazy with it.

Maybe, I'm just overthinking the process...
    Bryan

You are walking a line there. I didn't have anything to lose as far as finishes under the hood so I used Purple Power and Castrol Super Clean. They work for sure but They are harsh and can stain though. You definitely don't need to be concerned with protecting the battery. You can hose that baby off all day long. I usually bag the distributor and the alternator and go for it. As far as what chemicals to use, that is a tough one unless you are planning to refurbish the finish on things like I was doing anyway. I would start with hot water and simple green and the off the shelf foamy Engine degreasers are fine for anything covered with oil or grease.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

I use Simple Green watered down 50%. Use it full strength on grease and oil. Run the engine to dry most of it.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I would start with hot water and simple green
    ^^^this^^^

I will say that if you don't have oil and grease buildup, then Simple Green and a garden hose will work just fine. Dirt and dust come off fairly easy, hot water is not needed.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

If you have access to hot water and a pressure washer or even a Hotsy type heated pressure washer you might be surprised what hot water alone can do to grease, oil, grime, etc. A light detergent never hurts to help clean, but just hot water alone can really do a great job. That is my plan for the underside of my 82 GT if things go well this weekend.

I am not concerned with any staining since the whole car is being redone, so I will most likely use either Purple Power, or Gunk Degreaser as my detergent and the hot water from a Hotsy pressure washer. If I was concerned about staining then I would most likely start with water and then maybe a 50/50 Simple green solution to clean everything up. Don't get too worried about pressure washing the engine bay. Just make sure you use a wide fan spray, don't focus on any of the electrical parts, you want to keep the wand moving when spraying and you will be fine.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the responses and suggestions...

I don't want to mess up the original finishes, decals, or stickers, just get rid of some dust and dirt. It looks like simple green and a garden hose w/spray nozzle will have to do. I'll let you know how I get on this weekend once I'm finished.

If there are any other suggestions, feel free to post away.
    Bryan

Looks like the folks above have covered it well, but for other folks reading this I would avoid the foamy engine degreasers that come in a spray can. I used some of that when I first got the car 5 yrs ago and can still occasionally smell some of the residue that I can't seem to find and rinse. I think it also faded the ink on the valve cover emissions label. It smells like kerosene and I think is too harsh on the car and environment (just my opinion, no scientific evidence). Nothing but Simple Green for me now. As mentioned, start the engine as soon as you're done and take it for a spin to get good and hot and evaporate any remaining water that might otherwise start seeping into electrical connectors.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Power Member

Note: Using simple green straight out of the bottle is too harsh for the thin body paint under the hood of the 80s Fords. It will leave lightened splotches. Use it 50% on painted and delicate items and rinse. Use it straight on metal, engine brackets, undercarriage, tire, wheels and grease.

On another note, its a great acid neutralizer if you happen to spill battery acid! It will turn pink until the acid is neutralized.

FEP Power Member

Default Green

Note: Using simple green straight out of the bottle is too harsh for the thin body paint under the hood of the 80s Fords. It will leave lightened splotches. Use it 50% on painted and delicate items and rinse. Use it straight on metal, engine brackets, undercarriage, tire, wheels and grease.

On another note, its a great acid neutralizer if you happen to spill battery acid! It will turn pink until the acid is neutralized.

Post up some pictures of your progress Bryan if you got a chance to work on it. I would love to see more pictures of your ride.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Post up some pictures of your progress Bryan if you got a chance to work on it. I would love to see more pictures of your ride.
    Yeah, that didn't happen. I didn't get up early enough and its just been too bloody hot this weekend. It's at least going to be under under 100 next weekend.
    Bryan