Close

FEP Senior Member

Default need some help on seat belts

It has been so long since I removed the interior of my box Fairmont.
    I need help with where the seat belt retractors go in the rear. It's not self evident to me.
    Thanks,
    jim
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Quote Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
    It has been so long since I removed the interior of my box Fairmont.
    I need help with where the seat belt retractors go in the rear. It's not self evident to me.
    Thanks,
    jim
    These might be too small, but the Windows viewer will let you expand them (from the 1979 Shop Body Manual)

Name:  FZSeatBelts1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  FZSeatBelts2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  65.4 KB
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

FEP Senior Member

Thank you. Just what I needed.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Quote Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
    Thank you. Just what I needed.
    Good stuff.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

For what it's worth, I was playing with a set of early 90s Mustang belts when I was test-fitting my 1980 Zephyr Z7 interior. Not only do the rear (shoulder!) belts bolt in the same lower location, but the upper location has a reinforced plate in the location where the retractors fit on the parcel shelf.
    So now I have shoulder belts in the back, using factory Ford hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    For what it's worth, I was playing with a set of early 90s Mustang belts when I was test-fitting my 1980 Zephyr Z7 interior. Not only do the rear (shoulder!) belts bolt in the same lower location, but the upper location has a reinforced plate in the location where the retractors fit on the parcel shelf.
    So now I have shoulder belts in the back, using factory Ford hardware.
    That is good to hear, because I want to put shoulder belts in the back of my 78 boxtop. Do you have a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by wrath of kyle View Post
    That is good to hear, because I want to put shoulder belts in the back of my 78 boxtop. Do you have a picture?
    Yeah, me too. I even have the parts for it! I knew about the bottom bolt, but not the reinforced plate!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

There's a couple pics here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...f-pics-warning!) but none of the back panel without all the trim in place. I should probably mention the reinforced plate just means two layers of sheet metal; it's not a "true" seat belt reinforcement plate, but with a heavy fender washer underneath I think it's as strong as the factory Mustang seat belt mount.

There's a couple pics here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...f-pics-warning!) but none of the back panel without all the trim in place. I should probably mention the reinforced plate just means two layers of sheet metal; it's not a "true" seat belt reinforcement plate, but with a heavy fender washer underneath I think it's as strong as the factory Mustang seat belt mount.
    What did you do then, just drill a hole in it the size of the seatbelt bolt and thread it in?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

If I recall correctly, the holes were there. I used the Mustang hardware and an additional fender washer (for my own peace of mind).

If I recall correctly, the holes were there. I used the Mustang hardware and an additional fender washer (for my own peace of mind).
    Wow, crazy. Maybe i'll finally do this, this winter!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm hoping to get to my remote storage and gaze longingly at my poor Zephyr for a few minutes when I get home next week (it's been in various storage units since 2011...maybe I can work on it again someday...). I'll try to remember to get a couple pictures of the seat belt mounting.