Close

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Name:  2018-01-03 11.22.24.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  58.9 KB

I decided to grind the metal spacer down rather than attempting to cut them as I had no way to secure them easily and was too worried that if I cut one too much, I had no way to correct for that. So I ground each one down by hand doing my best to keep them flat and even.

Name:  2018-01-03 11.37.46.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  59.4 KB

After the better part of an hour I ended up with 4 shortened spacers that were mostly flat and even. I then welded the bracket that holds them in place on the back of the pedal assembly and made the modification to the bracket so all the holes line up as needed. I finished welding and then cleaning up my welds on the rest of the pedal box as well as making a new mount for one of the steering column brackets. I then quickly blasted the pedal box to clean up the metal and surface rust and gave it a nice shiny coat of black paint to prevent any future rust. Here is the stripped box painted and then it again next to an original pedal box.

Name:  2018-01-03 16.35.52.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  2018-01-03 16.36.09.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  100.9 KB

I will let the paint dry overnight and then I plan on installing everything back into the chassis for a final fit with pedals, etc. I will post up pictures of the final install and show how much more clearance I now have with the new setup compared to the old. Hopefully I will have some more updates on the interior changes as I have been trying to finish up my dash modifications and then I will start showing the work I am doing on customizing the door panels.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Are you moving the gas pedal over too? I know the foot well on a fox isn't that big, but I am picturing you almost doing the splits to get from clutch to gas! But 1" isn't really all that much. I imagine when complete, it won't be noticeable to anyone but the most diehard Fox fan.

Good job!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

No I am not moving the gas pedal at this time.

Hopefully there is no need to, but you never know. My plan is to run a normal throttle cable, so shouldn't be an issue and if for some reason I do decide to go electronic throttle, then the actual pedal location will remain the same still.

I am swapping the SN95 brake pedal and clutch pedal into the Fox pedal box because that made the brake swap easier and allows me to use the Bullit pedal pads if I wish. Besides the pedal placement with the SN95 arms is nearly identical to the original even with the modified pedal box. I will take some pictures of the different arms side by side to show the differences between the two that will help you visual how all of this is going to work.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Great update Trey. Glad to see you back at it.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Well, yesterday didn't go quite as planned, but I did get a little bit of time to play in the garage. Sorry none of this is really exciting and visually stimulating, but progress none the less.

First a quick visual on the slight difference between pedal arms of a Fox and SN95. I need to clarify that the donor pedal box I am using is from a 1998 Cobra and the pedal box and arms should be the same for the 96-98 Cobra. I can't guarantee that they are the same for the 94-95 Cobra or the 94-98 GT/V6. I know the brake pedal pivot point is specific to the different models, but can't guarantee what if any shape differences in the arms. So first up is the actual brake pedal arms. You can see that the Fox pedal is straight and the SN95 Cobra (9 pedal is angled back towards the gas pedal or center of the car. It appears closer to the gas pedal in the picture than it really is, but I might consider heating up the arm and tweaking the pedal pad back towards the clutch pedal if it proves to be a bit too close. Although should make heel and toe braking a bit easier. I will test it out more once everything is fitted and functional to verify.

Name:  2018-01-04 10.08.57.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  64.4 KB

Here is the clutch pedal of the Fox and the SN95 Cobra (9 You can see that the Fox has the strange jog in the pedal arm and the Cobra pedal is basically straight.

Name:  2018-01-04 10.07.47.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  63.2 KB

Luckily for me with moving the brake and clutch pedals over towards the outside of the car, the difference in shape of the pedals helped to still make everything work once I sorted everything out. Here is a picture of the setup in the car with the steering column and dash mocked up. I mounted one of my GT Sport seats and verified that everything works and I can reach/work all the pedals with no interference and no issues, so I am quite happy that is all actually worked out and isn't a complete mess!

Name:  2018-01-04 15.22.42.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  108.9 KB

Here you can see the steering column in relationship to the opening in the dash and see that the column fits and is basically centered in the opening. So No issues there either. No as far as the column and rack lining up with no issues, that I haven't addressed just yet. It appears I may need to trim part of a boss off the back of the head to gain some needed clearance with the steering column. I also need to purchase the Maximum Motorsport Hybrid steering shaft to connect my Fox column to the 03/04 Cobra rack that I have installed.

Name:  2018-01-04 15.22.51.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  107.2 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Here are a couple of promised pictures of the M/C Hydro unit in the engine bay with the 5.4 DOHC in place. First is a shot looking straight on to the M/C to show the clearance between the valve cover and the M/C.

Name:  2018-01-04 15.22.05.jpg
Size:  77.4 KB

Next is a top vied of the Hydro unit accumulator that shows the clearance again and also if you look closely at the firewall you can see the original hole location for the stock booster just to the left of the Hydro mount. That will give you an idea of how much I have moved it over to clear the engine. If you look even closer you will see the original hole for the clutch cable that I will have to move over also in order to line up with the clutch quadrant and still be able to clear the valve cover. That one is going to be a tight fit and may require some ingenuity to make work!

Name:  2018-01-04 15.22.15.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  87.0 KB

This last picture is a top view looking down on the Hydro Accumulator which is next to the valve cover. Probably doesn't really show the clearance well, but gives you an idea of how tight the fit really is.

Name:  2018-01-04 15.22.29.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  136.1 KB

I don't have much else to report or show at this time. I fixed a couple of broken spots on the dash yesterday. I need to fiberglass the whole top of my dash since it is so brittle and weak. I am sure that will be a fun adventure. I keep hoping I can come up with a better idea that is easier, faster, or cheaper, but so far no luck. I have thought about some thin metal reinforcements and may still consider it in a few areas, but overall the shape is too complex to try and shape a single large piece to match correctly and doing several pieces without something to tie the whole top together really defeats the purpose. More to come on that as I hope to get into some fiberglass work on another project next week.

Here is a gratuitous photo of my new MGW shifter for the Tremec 3650 that will live behind the 5.4 DOHC until I can find a T56 or TKO 600 that fits in the budget.

Name:  2017-12-30 11.29.09.jpg
Size:  102.7 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Nice work! What was the reason again why you can't just slap an SN95 pedal assembly into a Fox and expect it to work right? I know these modifications are because of MC placement, but there was something else I can't remember... Otherwise I was thinking of putting the SN pedals in my car to match my '95 GT MC.

Also, I wanted to mention that I wasn't able to fit a double-din stereo in the stock location on my aero console. The back of the unit wouldn't clear the floor. It could help you though that you have the proper T-5 hump whereas I don't.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I won't say you can't put a SN95 pedal assembly into a Fox, but it will require a lot of modifications. The Fox pedal box also supports and locates the Steering column. The SN95 unit does not support or locate the steering column, so that is the biggest issue. If I didn't need to move the whole assembly over due to the added width of the 5.4DOHC engine, the swap would have been much simpler and easier. I would have only needed to raise the M/C centerline relative to the pedal assembly, then either drill the matching pivot point in the Fox pedal or do as I chose to and swap the SN95 pedal into the Fox pedal assembly.

Here is a SN95 pedal assembly unit.

Name:  Cobra Brake Pedal.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  SN95 Pedal Box.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  60.8 KB

Here is the Fox pedal assembly.

Name:  Fox Pedal Assembly.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  Fox Pedal Assembly2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  97.4 KB

In regards to the double Din unit in the Center Console, I believe I have enough space based upon my measurements. I think it also has to do with the actual unit chosen. I have looked and there are Double DIN units that are shorter in depth than others and that can help to fit them into the center console. I am not sure if the T5 hump adds any clearance or not as the console doesn't actually locate off the hump. The console locates off the brackets at the front and the rear of the unit and obviously the dash for the 87-93 models. The OEM stereo that I removed was basically the double DIN size, although I believe technically it's a 1.5 DIN. I had plenty of room for it, but I won't know for sure until I fit an actual aftermarket Double DIN stereo. I had considered buying one during the Christmas sales, but decided that the car won't be on the road for probably another year at the rate I am going if not more and no sense in buying a stereo that will be obsolete in a year or two. I have another project that might need a Double DIN unit in the near future and if so, I will test fit the GT at that time and see how things look. Worse case, I can modify the center console and move the whole stereo further out of the console (towards the shifter) and that would gain some clearance in the back if needed. Thanks for the heads up and I will update once I get further along.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

You're welcome. Thanks for the info in return! Really looking forward to seeing how this car turns out!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415