Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

This isn't relevant to my build.... but cruising around I spotted a 79 pace car! I didn't stop to check it out. Looked to be in rough shape but savable. I'm very curious about that car. I've never seen a pace car in person before. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon. One of these days I'm gonna try to knock on the door and see what happens.
    Last edited by chevelle21; 07-17-2018 at 04:06 PM.

You better watch out. Foxes are known to breed like rabbits.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Sorry guys, more rain... I’ll try again tomorrow

Sooo another issue. Minor issue but still can’t seem to shake the curse on this car. Was driving home from town and heard something that sounded like a wrench fall out from under the hood. Figured “no biggie just turn around and get it” turned the music down and heard ticking. Right away knew (or thought I knew) the bolts holding the pipe to my header fell off. They were a tad loose. I could hear a very minor ticking when the hood was open. I was just too lazy to tighten them. Shame shame I know. So drive home. Waited a couple hours to cool down and to check it out. Bolts on the header were still there so what the heck? Started the car to find the loud ticking. Coming from behind the passenger head. Can’t see behind the head but I’m sure the plug for the smog hole shot out. I have great luck don’t I? Lol easy fix thankfully

You’ll have lots of these little challenges to deal with and learn from.

When I did my first engine swap an old mechanic in my area told me that it would take me a year to sort all the little stuff. It didn’t take quite that long but there were lots of little surprises till i got it all right.

Keep at it, you’ll have it beat soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for all the motivation! I got a new plug from work. Surprised we had something in stock that fits my car. If anyone needs the part number for future reference let me know and I’ll post it. Anyway, plug went in with no trouble. Car is back to running great. Aaaaaannnnnddd finally there wasn’t any rain. I took a short video of the car running. I apologize for it not being the best video. I tried setting the phone near the ground to get video of the actual car but my dogs weren't too fond of that idea. So I just held it in my hand. I’m not a huge fan of how my phone takes the audio of my car at idle. Doesn’t match how it really sounds. It’s a little more raspy in person. But anyway there’s the video of how my first engine swap sounds. And no my tachometer doesn’t work I haven’t gotten to that point just yet. Also the plastic piece covering my instrument panel is broken. I’ll get to that as well. So many things such little time
    https://youtu.be/o1Mqv7y2J0k
    Last edited by chevelle21; 07-18-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Im prolly gonna kick myself in the rear for saying this... but I THINK I can finally take my attention away from mechanical things and turn it into cosmetic. The car seems to be running great. I haven’t had any hiccups since I did the motor mount and replacement 6AL. As you guys saw last year in the thread I did a spray paint job that came out pretty good. Well nearing a year later it looks horrible. I thought it might’ve needed a buffing to bring it back to life. Tried that and my foam pad was black right away. Meaning the clear coat is gone on most parts. So what I’m doing is wet sanding and respraying clear. Did that to my hood today and it came out good. I can see myself in it again instead of a milky cloud with no reflection. Didn’t have my phone all day until now so I didn’t get any pictures. I’ll take some tomorrow and post so you guys know what I’m talking about.

Ok I lied. I forgot I need to swap out crank pulleys. My current one is too small. I didn't think being underdriven would make the engine run so hot. Sitting too long in traffic or just going very slow on a dirt road the temp creeps up to around 220-225. It's 4 3/8". The one im going to order is over 6". That'll make the water pump a little overdriven. Hoping that helps out enough to get me by. Later I plan on upgrading to a 3 row radiator. I'll still post some pics tonight of the paint.

Name:  9AF58BBA-4DC0-4E73-BE51-05EFA1045E56.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  1FD69B18-991F-417E-9537-B3B02A1CA2D1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  55.8 KB
    So this is pretty much what the entire car looks like. The trunk and the roof are the worst. The hood was about the same with them. So pretty much the tops got the worst of it.
    Name:  29587812-5FA2-43EC-9FCF-B141D55F1CBC.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  55.4 KB
    this is where I’m at with the hood right now. Not done yet. Still needs some work but a lot better than what it was.

Might still be talking to myself here.. but anyway, thoughts on 5 spoke Cragars? I've never seen a fox with them so I'm not sure how it would look. Just asking because I want to eventually get some wheels with a different offset. I feel like my rear wheels stick out a bit too much. I'll need new wheels for the front anyway when I do the 5 lug swap up there. I'm rolling weird right now still with 4 lug up front and 5 out back. Not many people notice but those that do trip out on it. I like my chrome mod wheels right now but they are really common.

Never liked the cragars. I like the torque thrusts, or the bullets. My .02 so you know were out here

Yeah , the rears stick out way too far.

I've always liked Cragars, they might be nice.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    Name:  9AF58BBA-4DC0-4E73-BE51-05EFA1045E56.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  1FD69B18-991F-417E-9537-B3B02A1CA2D1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  55.8 KB
    Is the painted faded or is that deteriorated clearcoat from an older repaint?

I liked Cragers back in the day but they were more 70's to me. I'd vote no I think.

Yah old chrome flat face Cragars are sort of universal or generic nowadays.
    Ansen, etc. Aftermarket look. Can dress car up or down.
    Magnum 500 do not look as good as on earlier cars.
    Many rim pics here on FEP site.
    Cobra R style chrome or silver argent.
    Two Crager-like pics:

Name:  Mustang blue mags1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  Mustang black verti with bullitt rims.jpg
Size:  131.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Never liked the cragars. I like the torque thrusts, or the bullets. My .02 so you know were out here
    I was looking at torque thrusts as well. This will be quite a while. I have far more important things that need to be taken care of first. Like my poor handling suspension. So I have plenty of time to think about wheel choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Yeah , the rears stick out way too far.

I've always liked Cragars, they might be nice.
    Not sure if you are basing the rears off of the older pictures or the recent picture of the quarter panel showing the bad clear. The older pics still have my adapters on pushing them out an extra 2-3 inches. I haven't posted a pic showing the comparison of before and after removing the adapters. Even though the adapters are gone I would still like to go in another inch or two. I'm really leaning towards cragars. But like I said in an above post I have tons of time to think about it. Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Is the painted faded or is that deteriorated clearcoat from an older repaint?

I liked Cragers back in the day but they were more 70's to me. I'd vote no I think.
    Deteriorated clear from a not so old rattle can job. And thank you for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Yah old chrome flat face Cragars are sort of universal or generic nowadays.
    Ansen, etc. Aftermarket look. Can dress car up or down.
    Magnum 500 do not look as good as on earlier cars.
    Many rim pics here on FEP site.
    Cobra R style chrome or silver argent.
    Two Crager-like pics:

Name:  Mustang blue mags1.jpg
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  Mustang black verti with bullitt rims.jpg
Size:  131.9 KB
    I'm not too crazy how those look on the fox. They look good on the new edge. I am more of a chrome wheel person. I'll have to do some digging on here for some wheel pics. Thank you for those samples!

Brought the car to work again yesterday. Just a reminder its about a 100 mile round trip. This time we did not break down. The car had zero issues. I'm very proud of it. I have to admit that it is sooooo nice being able to pass people now. I got so used to people passing me on hills and when the speed limit is above 65+ in this car. I had the cheesiest smile on my face being able to drop to 3rd gear while doing 85. Keep in mind that is very new to me. Coming from a guy that owns a 79 F100 with a C6. That old girl runs great but dropping a gear doing 85 is asking a whole lot. and the 2.3 could barely hit 85 balls to the wall going downhill lol

Me, personally, I have never liked the "classic" Cragar's. On anything. Now having said that, there are some cars that look OK with them. Strictly for myself though, I wouldn't pick that style.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Me, personally, I have never liked the "classic" Cragar's. On anything. Now having said that, there are some cars that look OK with them. Strictly for myself though, I wouldn't pick that style.
    Thank you for the input!

Ok got the new bigger crank pulley today. I wanted to take a side by side picture. But I forgot I’m excriment to put it on. I’m sitting in the car right now. Been idling for about 10-15 minutes. The temp is around 200. Higher than I’d like. I’d prefer 190 but it’s been steady at 200. Hasn’t gone much higher. By now with the smaller pulley I would’ve had to shut it off. Yesterday in town I got to 230. I should be able to get by like this until I can upgrade my fan and radiator... now back to worrying about the cosmetics for the car show.

Scratch that.... note to self: check the coolant buddy. It was low on coolant. Added a bit and now we’ve been steady at 190.

Name:  22E5BA65-F883-41BB-8DFC-DD93F8D554FA.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  45.8 KB

The best comparison I could do since I failed to take a pic before installation.

I had Keysone Classics on my Galaxie. Loved them! You never see a Fox with them because they are 5 lug.

The trends in less and less bling drive me crazy. The less bling a car has, the cheaper it looks to me honestly. Go for it if you like! Send us pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-02-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast