Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...cs-of-my-82-GT

cant seem to find 5 lug keystone classics on a foxbody. They look GREAT on fairmont and monarch..... I loved them on the black 79 Cobra I saw them on too.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-02-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Had Keystone Klassics on my Lime Gold '67 Mustang verti.

Well the show is this Saturday. I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it. I still have to finish reclearing the car. The cans I used last year are no longer made by Duplicolor (ya'll starting to see my bad luck yet?) The new clear coat cans they have don't really blend well with the base coat or the clear of the older cans. Some spots are fine but others not so much. I tried the new base coat cans on top of the old base coat then cleared on top. That seems to be working a lot better. So basically I have to repaint the entire car by the end of the week including sanding and buffing. I'm really thinking of just buying a gun and learning how to mix and spray eventually. It can't be worse than what I'm doing now. It comes out good but I am not gonna be rattle canning the car every year, I will post pictures by tomorrow of what I have done so far. I also still have to finish cleaning up some wiring under the hood and touch up some paint on the interior.

Name:  8FAF706E-EEC8-4D6C-8007-2E73C8B924E0.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  89.1 KB
    Here’s the ugly rear quarter before I did anything.

Name:  1FD24C0C-925B-4A0D-BAC4-34D269C6292D.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  75.6 KB
    Here’s after I sanded. Base coated. Cleared. Sanded and buffed. I am extremely happy with the way it came out it looks even better than what I did last year. I still have a lot to do. The rest of the car has been cleared. Tomorrow I sand and buff the rest. Then the interior and engine bay touch up. I MIGHT just make it to the show

It’s hotter than hot today. There’s no cloud cover like yesterday. The sanding sucks and feels like it’s taking ages to do. I need to sand both fenders, both doors, and the top. Then buff. The drivers rear quarter looks pretty bad compared to the passenger. But I don’t have time to respray that one. So it’ll have to stay a little fugly for the show if I make it. Then still touch up under the hood and interior. I’m struggling today a lot. I’m not feeling confident as of right now. The heat is getting the best of me. Would love to have a garage right now. I’m still pushing though.

We made it! There’s beautiful cars everywhere. I’ll take pictures later when I walk around. Still suffering a little from the heat yesterday. I didn’t get to do everything I wanted to the car but I did the best I could.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    We made it! There’s beautiful cars everywhere. I’ll take pictures later when I walk around. Still suffering a little from the heat yesterday. I didn’t get to do everything I wanted to the car but I did the best I could.
    Nice shine on that quarter panel.....looking good!

OK sorry that I haven't uploaded any pictures from the car show. I have plenty that I will do soon. Another issue with the car.... My rear shocks are shot. Well the passenger side is. The bag or whatever you'd like to call it on the air shock has a hole. I had to limp home a handful of miles yesterday. My tires are too tall at 28" and stick out too far due to my offset to clear the fender when hitting even a minor bump or even a slight turn left or right. I'm leaking brake fluid somewhere near that shock so it ate through the bag. So I have to find and fix the leak and replace the shocks. The shocks have warranty but I don't really want to use air shocks anymore. I don't have much money at all to doing anything fancy. Does anyone have any recommendations on a gas shock that'll hold up the car enough to not hit the tires much? A couple people have told me Lakewood 50/50 but reading up on them they are shorter than a stock shock so I don't see how that can be any better. I'll post this question in the tech forum as well.

Name:  B560FDB1-97A7-4E7D-B6EB-30B0586B6805.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  160.4 KB
    Here we are at the show! We got some attention. Not really a whole lot. We don’t fit in very well at all with this show. Most of the vehicles are much older than my car. And most owners are much older than myself. I feel so inexperienced there but I love talking to everyone. I learn a lot and hear tons of great stories. I’ll post pictures of most of the other vehicles that were there later in the evening.

Meet, greet, show off, is what its all about. Around here you would fit right in.
    Don't feel bad. Every show needs at least one 4eye for us to check out.
    Heck i never stay with the car long because of all the questions.
    Usually park and stick the Marti items in window. Clean, dirty, no matter.
    A few times mine was the newest by year and the worst looking.

The clearcoat looks great.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Thank you guys. Sadly the clear is already starting to look a little rough. I expected it. Anyway it’s been a good while since I’ve posted. Life got in the way. I haven’t done much to the car. Just driving it. Finally have been able to just drive and not have issues (knock on wood). What I have done is solve the issues of not having good clearance in the rear for my wheels. Temporary fix I guess. A fellow member gave me a great deal on some cargo springs. They lift the car enough to where I don’t need nearly 100 PSI in my air shocks to have clearance. All I had to say was “WOW” after I drove it for the first time after swapping springs. The difference in ride quality and handling was amazing. I threw in new spring isolators as well. My old stuff was so worn out. Also the other day I put new sway bar bushings and end links. Another “WOW HOLY ****” after driving. I can’t believe how much tighter the car feels after the bushings and end links were put on. Before bumps were fairly noisy and loose feeling. Turns were pretty bad with body roll. Now bumps are much more quiet and tighter. Turns are much more comfortable. I can only imagine how nice it’ll ride after I do new tie rods, ball joints, etc and subframe connectors.
    Last edited by chevelle21; 10-24-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your car now. It is amazing the difference replacing those items can make.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Back to troubles again... another motor mount is shot. Passenger side again. My engine has the “gangster lean” yet again. I’m thinking of going with the urethane mounts from LMR. These parts store mounts have not been good to me. Also I think my speedo cable is shot. Coming home last night the gauge was all over the place.

You might be able to take the speedo cable out, pull the inside out and grease it and put it back together.
    A new cable is about $20 but I always try to fix first and replace second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
    You might be able to take the speedo cable out, pull the inside out and grease it and put it back together.
    A new cable is about $20 but I always try to fix first and replace second.

Worth it to try with my low budget.. I'll be riding my motorcycle until I get the cable and mounts taken care of. During the day it isn't too bad but once the sun goes down.. it's cold.

Ok guys update time. Since my last post I put I replaced the motor mount again and lubed the speedo cable. But here we go yet again... ANOTHER broken motor mount. Engine tilted on me yesterday. Passenger side again. Ridiculous how many times this has happened. I’ll never buy mounts from a parts store again. This is the 4th one I’ll be putting on in less than a year. This time I’m just going to put solid mounts on. I don’t have the budget for prothane or something similar. I know a solid mount won’t collapse on me. I need the peace of mind and reliability since this car is still my daily driver until I rebuild the engine in my beater.

That is a lot of broken passenger-side motor mounts in a very short period. Did you get a bad batch or something? I hope you have the problem resolved.
    Build Thread

With that many broke mounts I’d be looking for other issues.
    Is the engine sitting square?
    Is the trans mount is good condition?

Such a late update... since my last post I did install solid mounts. I’ve had zero issues with them. I’m no longer scared to open the car up. I don’t believe anything is wrong with the car causing the mounts to break. Also another step I’m taking with the car. I plan on entering the street class at my local drag strip this month, April 28th. I can’t say I’m not nervous. I’ve never done anything like that before. I’m excited at the same time though. I don’t plan on going all out with the car. It’s about an hour drive to the track. Can’t really go too hard and break something because I’ll be driving the car over there. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate anything.. I ordered some gauges. Oil pressure, volt meter, temperature, and a fuel gauge. I should’ve done this ages ago but now that I’m gonna race the car I need to better monitor what the engine is doing.

Cool!
    Dragstrip is great fun.

Drag racing people are usually very friendly and willing to help out the new guy, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

As to the gauges, on the track you won’t be looking at them but they’re a good idea for before and after your passes.

A good friend who’s an experienced racer told me there’s no such thing as too much safety gear.
    Think about wearing a helmet even if it’s not required for your speed and car.

Rev limiter is a good idea. One of my friends blew up an engine the first weekend. A cheap rev limiter would have saved it.

Start saving your pennies, you’re likely to quickly become addicted to speed and competition, and there is no limit to the amount you can spend on racing.

Quote Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
    Cool!
    Dragstrip is great fun.

Drag racing people are usually very friendly and willing to help out the new guy, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

As to the gauges, on the track you won’t be looking at them but they’re a good idea for before and after your passes.

A good friend who’s an experienced racer told me there’s no such thing as too much safety gear.
    Think about wearing a helmet even if it’s not required for your speed and car.

Rev limiter is a good idea. One of my friends blew up an engine the first weekend. A cheap rev limiter would have saved it.

Start saving your pennies, you’re likely to quickly become addicted to speed and competition, and there is no limit to the amount you can spend on racing.

Thank you! Ya I'm aware I won't be looking at the gauges. They're mainly for the trip there and back. A helmet is required. I already have one on order. The car also has a rev limiter already. I have it set at 5,000. I've already talked to a handful of guys that race out there. They've all been asking me to take the car since last year. I'm pretty excited to see what they say when they see me pull up.

Make sure you get a helmet that fits right.
    I tried on a friend’s Zamp medium helmet and it was way to small. I bought a racequip in medium and it’s exactly right.
    Try on before you buy if you can or make sure you can return if it doesn’t fit.

Small update. I got the gauges installed last weekend. I’ll upload pictures. I decided to step up to a hotter spark plug. I was running autolite 25s. They worked. But the car runs a bit rich so I wanted to try 26s. The car seems to start a little easier and responds a bit better. I haven’t pulled a plug to see it yet. Today I also installed a line lock. Was a major pain. I should’ve got the kit LMR offers. I got a kit from summit. Of the billion fittings it came with only a couple worked for me. Had to make a couple trips to the parts store. Took me much longer than I wanted. But it works!! I need to bleed the brakes more. Pedal falls without pumping. Anyway did a quick burnout in front of the house. Shame on me. It worked flawlessly after I pumped up the pedal. Car didn’t budge. I’m excited but extremely nervous for the races this weekend.

Update... I went to today’s test and tune. The car made the driver over there just fine. My first pass was ok. I didn’t do a burnout and I leave the light at idle. I don’t wanna risk hurting this rear end. I ran an 18.42 @ 83. I went a little sideways and had to get out of it. My second pass with a very short burnout. This rear end hops a lot we did a 16.44 @ 88 mph. Didn’t go sideways. My third pass which I feel was my cleanest, not best but cleanest, we went against another car. She also runs street class in a 70 chevelle. I got her at the light but she won. I did a 16.91 @ 89 mph to her 14.75 @ 95. My biggest problem is traction. We take off ok from idle but about mid track it always breaks that tire loose. I couldn’t keep up with that chevelle for that reason. Each pass the car spun in the same spot in both lanes. I still had a good time. I’m glad I went. Overall I’m pretty happy with the car. I feel it makes enough power to compete in this class. Trouble is getting that power to the ground.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast