Close

Threaded View

Default 1985 LX 2.3 project build! (My first solo build)

Hello all, this will be my first ever build thread and first ever solo build. My 1985 Mustang LX with the all powerful 2.3! I'll give a short story on the background of the car as far as I know... about 7-8 years ago (will check with my dad on this time) a coworker of my dad needed a bigger toolbox and my dad had one available for him. Dude told my dad he had this car that hadn't been used in roughly 7 or so years. He proposed a trade, car for the tool box. Sounds like a good deal right? A high valuen snapon tool box not used anymore for a car not used anymore that had potential in thought. Well dad went to take a look at the car and of course it was an ugly critter. We were told it had a V6. Obviously was a 2.3 (ugh). Was hoping for the 5 speed, it was a 4 speed (ugh). The guy eventually just said "You know what just take the car. You can have it. I can't get it to run. I''ll pay for the box." Now that's a good deal right? A free foxbody! Fast forward a month or so later and dad got the car running fairly easily. Drove the car to work and parked right next to the guy that gave the car away. Gave that puppy a few revs and the guy just put his head down.... HAHA!

Fast forward again to a few more years to 2013 to when I took serious interest in the car as it officially became "mine". There I am a year outta high school with a mustang! Nothing done to the car since dad got it running other than basic maintenance. First thing I did was put in a good audio system and some tint. Then some 14x7 chrome modular wheels. (excuse any sideways pictures. Not sure why they upload like that)
    Name:  image1_1_.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  203.8 KB

Then I threw on some air shocks in the rear to replace the old worn shocks and also some struts in the front. I got the urge to have the bigger wheel in the back. The muscle car look? Not sure what to call it right now but I went with some 15x8 wheels in the rear with some 235/70/15 white letter cooper cobra tires. I kept the 14x7 up front and put 215/70/14 coopers. Now there weren't any 15x8 chrome mods in a 4 bolt pattern so I put some wheel adapters to go 5 lug. Yes, I know that's frowned upon by many. It's temporary in this build. Wheels ended up being bigger than expected. The sidewall was bigger than I pictured and the wheel adapters pushed them out pretty far but it has grown on me and I like the look. Car looks mean as hell! and looks pretty fast! Why do that to a stock 2.3? Cuz I can and I love it!
    Name:  image10.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  image11.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  43.0 KB

Before I did the wheels I "redid" the interior a tad. I resprayed the old worn down charcoal gray interior with the duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint, also charcoal gray. The stuff is great! Made a huge difference. Brought the interior back to life. Made it "pop" more. I don't have pictures of the old interior nor of it currently yet. I plan on doing it yet again. This time I'll be doing it black. Will post pictures of before, during, and after when I start that part of the build soon. I'm planning om having it done by mid-august.

Now here we go on to the massive 2.3 under the hood. My lord it is a mess. There are so many wires scattered under there and dirt and grease everywhere! I'm sure this thing hasn't been clean since it rolled off the dealership brand new. Anywho, I am doing a "restore" for the lack of a better term. I plan on making the engine compartment purrdy! I will be going from red to black and respraying the block ford blue. As well as the other components a color I feel will look good, mostly black and aluminum colors. So it really isn't a restore I suppose. I'll also be trying to clean up all the hackjob wiring the previous owners did to this poor thing. There are more pictures but cant get them to upload. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by chevelle21; 07-04-2016 at 09:28 AM.