Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Congratulations! The pictures show a LOT of effort went into this car.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

I participated in another car show yesterday. I have to say it was a total different experience than the show last weekend. I mean that in a bad way... I won't say where the show was nor the name of the show or host club. First off the entry form said that only 1985 and older vehicles will be accepted for entry. Fine with me because that's a common thing. At least for shows near me. BUT when I got there I parked the car and registered right away. I saw a newer charger entered in the show... a 1987 jeep... A newer model duramax truck... a 95 mustang... a 2000 something cavalier... plus a few more.. all obviously newer than the 1985 year limit they clearly had advertised. It didn't bother me too much until it came time for them to present the awards. I overheard a guy saying "I tried to enter my 2008 shelby but they told me it is too new. Apparently it's a 1985 and older show but they have all these newer cars here." Why did they tell this guy no but they allowed the others to enter? The guy with the new duramax won two awards. One for his truck and another vehicle that I can't remember. As he walked by to accept the award for his truck I was near him and heard him whisper to some guy "just wash your car and enter it here. It's that easy" WOW!... Then the guy with the cavalier won best lowrider.. Cool, he was the only lowrider. No problem, even though he was beyond the allowed year limit. Then he won best custom. then minutes later, best of show. Then some more minutes later, he won people's choice. WHAT A JOKE! How can a car that was well beyond the year limit win pretty much the whole show?!?! It all made sense now... the guy with the cavalier showed up a little after I did so he was parked a couple spots from me and my friends. We overheard him say to someone else "We have a show in (another town which I won't name) today but I would rather be here to support my home town!" Ya, I'm sure most people would if the show was rigged for them. I truly hate to assume the show was rigged but all signs point in that direction. It was the 1st annual show. I was excited to be apart of that until the end. So many people were beyond angry. The couple to the right of my car in an outstanding 68 camaro were just as upset as me. His wife just about lost her mind after they announced that guy's 4th award. I am not upset my car didn't win this time. I don't enter shows to win. I go to show off the progress of my car and to learn. Most participants have been doing this for ages and I'm 22. It's wonderful to hear all the stories and advice those men and women have. It is such a shame how that first annual show ended..

Sorry to hear about your experience at this event. I think asking for a refund of all entry fees would be completely within your right. Especially after you point out their rule about "1985 and older" cars.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Not uncommon to see that. The people that run the events pick their friends or club members all the time around here. The only time I ever got a door prize at an event here was by mistake. My name was similar to a member. There are people that go to car shows to show the car they built and those that go to show the car they bought. The real sense of accomplishment doesn't come from some cheap trophy or award, it comes from knowing you made your car what it is.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Hey guys it has been nearly a year since i have updated this post. I apologize. But there has been A LOT done to the car since last year. A month after I won the award at the car show I was on my way to Las Cruces, NM to celebrate my birthday with some friends. 2 hours away from my hometown. I had just gotten to Cruces near the exit I needed to take and the car started knocking like crazy and had no power at all to move. Floored I was doing 35. I was able to take the exit and the car died just as I got off I-10. Tried starting again and nothing. Popped the hood and everything looked just fine. Pulled the dipstick and I had chocolate milk. (Happy Birthday to me right?) Had a bad weekend... Towed the car home a few days later. Car sat a little while until I worked on it. Popped the head off and it was trashed.... So much for just the head gasket I was hoping for. Fast forward to the machine shop... Block had a cracked cylinder. At this point Im thinking perfect time to do a 5.0 swap but nooooooo. I had the great idea to build a turbo 2.3. So a lot of money later the engine is rebuilt and stabbed in. Long story short this little 2.3 gave me trouble for months. Nobody could figure it out. Just wouldn't run right. After months of parts and tuning I got it going good enough. It's going now with 2k miles on it. I now hate 2.3s with all my heart and soul and can not wait until this engine is rotting away in my backyard. I do NOT wish to make this a 2.3T anymore. I bought a 5.0 out of a 95 mustang for $50, needs a rebuild. I also have a 94 mustang parts car now. Its a v6 sadly but I will use the T5 out of that to get rid of this 4 speed. I'll also use it to upgrade my brakes and go 5 lug. I also stripped the car to complete metal and did body work for the first time. I painted it all on my own with spray cans. yes, spray cans. It came out pretty darn good I must say. I will post pictures of all of this soon!

You should be very proud of what you accomplished with that little 2.3! You took a dog, a car that was basically thrown away by the previous owner and turned it into a respectable machine. I have to admit, that engine bay looked awesome when you were done. Blood (from scrapped knuckles), sweat ( from working in the driveway), and tears went into that and it is nothing you should be mad or ashamed of.

My only, and ONLY, drawback on your build is you are going the way EVERYONE else goes......with a 5.0. I love my V6 and would not trade it for the world. I love being different. I could go 5.0 but I would be like everyone else. My advice? Stick with the 2.3T and figure it out.

The only, minor, problem with your 5.0 plan is the T5 in SN95 cars is a bit longer. It should work and probably actually puts the shifter farther back, which from ergonomics, I would like, but you may have to trim the floor. Also, I think the driveshaft is different length. I've never owned a SN95 or even worked on one, so you may want to do some research. And I actually feel your pain. I have a 85 with a strong running 5.0 with alum heads. I have a 351w shortblock sitting on a stand and pretty much everything except gaskets and a flywheel to swap it. But I always like different. My brother and I drag raced a 83 Regal with an alcohol injected 455 Buick for a few years. It was a head turner/head scratcher everywhere we went. But I keep looking for and finding complete 2.3T out of TurboCoupes and SVO's everywhere I turn. Just when I am past it....I find one again. I would love to try a new 2.3 ecoboost, but that's well beyond my budget.

Whatever you do, make it your own. Just remember Foxbody Mustangs are 25 years old Minimum. How many do you see at car shows? SO don't feel bad if you go with a 5.0.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeejoejava View Post
    You should be very proud of what you accomplished with that little 2.3! You took a dog, a car that was basically thrown away by the previous owner and turned it into a respectable machine. I have to admit, that engine bay looked awesome when you were done. Blood (from scrapped knuckles), sweat ( from working in the driveway), and tears went into that and it is nothing you should be mad or ashamed of.

My only, and ONLY, drawback on your build is you are going the way EVERYONE else goes......with a 5.0. I love my V6 and would not trade it for the world. I love being different. I could go 5.0 but I would be like everyone else. My advice? Stick with the 2.3T and figure it out.
    Thank you so much. I've poured countless hours doing this. I agree with you on the 5.0. I wanted to be different with the 2.3T but honestly I just have no desire to have this engine anymore. All this trouble the car gave me after rebuilding the 2.3 was too much. Far too much. I believe the car was talking to me and telling me that it doesn't want it anymore. Once I realized that, a guy messaged me randomly on Facebook saying he had it for $50. It became obvious to me what my car wants.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    The only, minor, problem with your 5.0 plan is the T5 in SN95 cars is a bit longer. It should work and probably actually puts the shifter farther back, which from ergonomics, I would like, but you may have to trim the floor. Also, I think the driveshaft is different length. I've never owned a SN95 or even worked on one, so you may want to do some research. And I actually feel your pain. I have a 85 with a strong running 5.0 with alum heads. I have a 351w shortblock sitting on a stand and pretty much everything except gaskets and a flywheel to swap it. But I always like different. My brother and I drag raced a 83 Regal with an alcohol injected 455 Buick for a few years. It was a head turner/head scratcher everywhere we went. But I keep looking for and finding complete 2.3T out of TurboCoupes and SVO's everywhere I turn. Just when I am past it....I find one again. I would love to try a new 2.3 ecoboost, but that's well beyond my budget.

Whatever you do, make it your own. Just remember Foxbody Mustangs are 25 years old Minimum. How many do you see at car shows? SO don't feel bad if you go with a 5.0.
    I am well aware of that. I'm sourcing a foxbody bellhousing and an input shaft for that reason. I also have a 351W shorblock. So there's that too. But I think I'm gonna save the 351 for my truck.

FEP Super Member

2.3Ts are not for the timid. With respects to you and your project, the '95 5.0L (and hopefully everything to run it) would be the best bet.

(This coming from a guy who has had both 5.0L and 2.3T cars)
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Dang. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have both and I always thought the 2.3T was easier to work on and gave me less trouble than the 5.0 did. Apparently, your results differed, LOL. I am glad instead of giving up on the car you just switched gears and made a new plan though! Kudos to you. Please keep us updated on all your progress with the new direction. V8 cars are sure a blast too.
    Last edited by homer302; 09-04-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Dang. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have both and I always thought the 2.3T was easier to work on and gave me less trouble than the 5.0 did. Apparently, your results differed, LOL. I am glad instead of giving up on the car you just switched gears and made a new plan though! Kudos to you. Please keep us updated on all your progress with the new direction. V8 cars are sure a blast too.
    Ya total opposite for me. the 5.0 in my truck is easy to work on. Most things I've done to it have been cake. Literally everything for this 2.3 has fought me. I figured "shoot it's just a little 4 banger. I'll have it back together and back on the road in one weekend" heck no! Took months to get it running good enough lol and I plan on keeping this thread updated every step of the way. And thank you. I will never give up on this car. It has never even crossed my mind. I will always keep on pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    2.3Ts are not for the timid. With respects to you and your project, the '95 5.0L (and hopefully everything to run it) would be the best bet.

(This coming from a guy who has had both 5.0L and 2.3T cars)
    ill be making the 95 5.0 a carb engine. It did not come with the computer and accessories to run it fuel injected. Which is ok because I love the way a four barrel looks over a fuel injected setup.

CCC Winners 2016 http://www.coppercountrycruizers.com/pastcar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    .... Obviously was a 2.3 (ugh). Was hoping for the 5 speed, it was a 4 speed (ugh). The guy eventually just said "You know what just take the car. You can have it. I can't get it to run. I''ll pay for the box." Now that's a good deal right? A free foxbody! Fast forward a month or so later and dad got the car running fairly easily. Drove the car to work and parked right next to the guy that gave the car away. Gave that puppy a few revs and the guy just put his head down.... HAHA!.......
    That's the normal EECIV verses Carter YFA 2.3 Four behavior....any earthing or "offline" sensor to the Feedback carb, TFI or Mixture Control Solenoid, and it potentially won't work at all.

Ask the F150 4.9 Truck, Ranger 2.3 truck and E line van Feedback guys, the EEEEEEK!Four/MCU and Carter YFA combinations used in the 83 to 86's really could cause spectacular NVO's (no vehicular operations).

Solution?

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I have that same set up. I sent my carb to guaranteed carbs in Florida and had it rebuilt for $168, relocated the TFI to the fender, took the emissions stuff off and added a tube header.
    Here is some info on the Carter YFA.... http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Cart...al_ep_317.html
    The correct limk is "http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.com/category/FC14/Ford-Mercury-Cars-4-Cylinder-1-Barrel-Carter/1.html"

When my YFA started to go out I tried to rebuild it....I failed. I was told by many people just have mine pro-rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one because the YFA are very picky. I went ahead and just bought a rebuilt one for $168 from these guys, bolt on and drive and it's been great for 2 years now.
    Not sure but you could contact these guys and ask about more specs...?
    http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.com...-Carter/1.html
    I'm not sure. After I removed the air pump (still have a non-air tube cat), EGR (blocked all passages off) and O2 sensor (wire just cut and placed in loom) it still ran like it did before I removed all that stuff. It is a bit hard to start but once it warms up it runs great. System still uses a charcoal can for tank fumes and the TFI which I have on the fender apron using a relocate kit. All other v-lines are in tacked. Timing is bumped up a bit to help with idle.
    Only thing I have noticed, gas mileage is way down 14-15 in the city.
    Due to the 10 degree total extra advance from 9D BTD. Bump the base timing up, and it still works.

The system is able to be worked around, but its still just an 88 hp 2.3 Lima.

You'll love the Bent 8.....

Sorry to hear of your car show woes. Your notch looks great!
    I'm keeping my 2.3 in my 85 till it totally dies. So far it has been running perfectly.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Ok guys I'm going to post a link to the album of the paint-job I did. I'm really excited to see what you guys think, positive or negative. I first decided to strip to all metal and just do a flat black primer until i could afford a professional job. I did a couple panels. Then i decided to try using a self-etching primer, then a filler, then flat black on the passenger door. I felt more comfortable with it lasting longer that way. Then I changed my mind once again and wanted to try a gloss black with a gloss clear coat. I loved the way the door came out with that. So I redid the previous panels and stuck with the gloss the entire car. I used all Duplicolor spray cans for the whole project. I used Bondo Body Filler, Bondo Professional Glazing Putty on small dents, and Transtar One Glaze (might be wrong name) over my filler. It is far from a perfect job. I wasn't aiming for that because I know a perfect job was not going to happen. It was my first time ever doing this work and it was rattle cans. One can only get so much from a rattle can. I am still very pleased with the outcome.

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/ch...Can%20Paintjob

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Yummy
    ^^^^^ I'm with X on this one. That is one hell of an improvement.
    A good job can be done with rattle cans if attention to detail and prep is put forth. While maybe not the most durable way of painting a car, the outcome can be rewarding and long lasting.

My only critique on this car would be the wheels.....particularly the rears. I love the fact they are period correct but the offset and placement of the tire does not appeal much to me as they are just pushed out too far.
    A change of wheels would make this nice little ride look a whole lot better. Just my honest opinion bud.

Keep up the good work!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    ^^^^^ I'm with X on this one. That is one hell of an improvement.
    A good job can be done with rattle cans if attention to detail and prep is put forth. While maybe not the most durable way of painting a car, the outcome can be rewarding and long lasting.

My only critique on this car would be the wheels.....particularly the rears. I love the fact they are period correct but the offset and placement of the tire does not appeal much to me as they are just pushed out too far.
    A change of wheels would make this nice little ride look a whole lot better. Just my honest opinion bud.

Keep up the good work!
    In my first post I said the wheels being pushed out are temporary. I know it's been a while since then. Reason being that they are so far out is because those are 5 lug wheels and I am 4 lug on the axles. So I have adapters. The adapters are about 2 inches thick. Once I swap axles to 5 lug I can eliminate the spacers bringing the wheels in. It was much more cost effective to buy those spacers and get the 5 lug wheels for the rear than to buy 4 lug wheels and then another set of 5 lug when I do the swap. That also would've led me to have having another set of wheels for the rear I had no use for. There's a reason I do everything for this car. I put tons and tons of thought into things before I spend money and do the work. Thank you though, for the compliment and the honest opinion. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    In my first post I said the wheels being pushed out are temporary. I know it's been a while since then. Reason being that they are so far out is because those are 5 lug wheels and I am 4 lug on the axles. So I have adapters. The adapters are about 2 inches thick. Once I swap axles to 5 lug I can eliminate the spacers bringing the wheels in. It was much more cost effective to buy those spacers and get the 5 lug wheels for the rear than to buy 4 lug wheels and then another set of 5 lug when I do the swap. That also would've led me to have having another set of wheels for the rear I had no use for. There's a reason I do everything for this car. I put tons and tons of thought into things before I spend money and do the work. Thank you though, for the compliment and the honest opinion. Much appreciated!
    Ah...I missed that part. Got distracted by the pictures.
    That makes sense and should come out pretty good in the end. Can't wait to see where you take this car.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

That's amazing for rattle cans!!!!!! Good job! That looks pretty good. As long as it's at least a 10 footer, you have done a great job. It looks really good in pictures. Pat yourself on the back!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Hey guys! Sorry for not staying active here. Not much has been done to the car since the paint job. But I have some great news. I’ve begun building a V8 for the car. I’m going with a 347 forged pistons and rods. I have a T5 to put behind it. Not sure how long it’ll last. I’m not planning on making crazy power yet. I plan to go with an edelbrock top end. Im staying carburated. I’m hoping to have this swap done by the end of July. Right now I’m lacking all the brackets and V belt pulleys, a distributor, msd box, timing cover, flywheel, clutch, mounts, heads and carb. I have some stock heads that I will probably have to run because of my budget. I don’t wanna run stock heads but even with those it’ll be lightyears better than my current 2.3. I’m so excited to get this done. I dream of it nearly every night. I am still doing this all on my own. I have not received any help from anyone. Not because nobody will help, but because I’m being a stubborn prideful idiot lol it’s not bad right now but when the heavy lifting comes in I may have to give in to some help. Also just a quick question.. would I be able to take just the axles off an SN and stick them in my cars rear end and be able to use my drum brakes with no issues? I’m getting very tired of my wheels sticking out so far. I know the SN axles are longer than a fox but my adapters push them further than the longer axles will.

The sn95 axles will be too long to use with the drums. There are certain year left ranger and right areostar axles that will fit.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    The sn95 axles will be too long to use with the drums. There are certain year left ranger and right areostar axles that will fit.
    I realized that after I asked. Not sure what I was thinking. The drum would be to far out to work. I ordered up some Fox length 5 lug axles from LMR. I would’ve needed those anyway in the future. I don’t see myself finding an 8.8 from a fox near me. Only SN rear ends I’ve found locally.

I have the 5 lug axles now. I’ve been struggling for about a week trying to do the swap. The cross pin bolt broke. I have no idea what to do. I ordered the extraction tool meant for this issue. It did not work. The bolt does not budge no matter what I do. I’m thinking of loading up on the loctite and sticking the threaded end back in and calling it good. I guess I’ll sit on the money I spent on the axles until I can somehow find an 8.8 rear end. There’s not any remotely close to me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast