Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Ok so I made a big step yesterday in improving my issue putting power down. I FINALLY found myself an 8.8 that wasn't lightyears away. Only about 1.5 hours away. Kinda funny cuz the day I found out I absolutely didn't want this 7.5 whatsoever anymore at my test n tune is the day the guy posted it on craigslist. It's got limited slip 3.27. I want 3.73s but that's still an upgrade over the 3.08 one tire fire we have right now. Now I'm building my shopping list of control arms and other goodies.

Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I got some parts in. I went with Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms, the heavy duty series. Factory style uppers. New rubber bushings for the upper axle end. Torque box reinforcements. Control arm hardware. Also the correct speedo gear for the gear change. The inside of this rear end I picked up is still very good looking. The oil was still looking good as well. I'll be swapping my current 5 lug axles from my 7.5 into this 8.8. Weather didn't let me do much this weekend for it. I painted the rear end and removed the 4 lug axles along with the old bushings. I tried installing the new bushing with the MM tool. They would not go in whatsoever. I believe they are a little too big. I should've went with the Ford replacements.

Also, I can not get out the new partially installed bushing. Maybe I need an air impact or something. My 1/2 drive cordless snapon impact won’t budge it. Maybei it’s just my luck but these Napa bushings are the wrong size.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    Also, I can not get out the new partially installed bushing. Maybe I need an air impact or something. My 1/2 drive cordless snapon impact won’t budge it. Maybei it’s just my luck but these Napa bushings are the wrong size.
    The OEM style rubber bushings in the rear axle are not pressed in all the way, just an FYI. I generally measure each bushing before removing and then install the new bushing to the same depth. I would have to double check the actual measurement, but I believe its @ 3/8" or so. Not sure if that helps or not, but just thought I would mention it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great progress. That new axle will do wonders for your car!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The OEM style rubber bushings in the rear axle are not pressed in all the way, just an FYI. I generally measure each bushing before removing and then install the new bushing to the same depth. I would have to double check the actual measurement, but I believe its @ 3/8" or so. Not sure if that helps or not, but just thought I would mention it.
    Thank you for the info. I am aware they aren't pressed in entirely. My new one isn't in very far at all. Thing is just stuck. I'll get it out somehow. I have the ford replacement bushings on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Great progress. That new axle will do wonders for your car!
    Thank You! I'm very excited to see how the car will handle with the new setup. I'm hoping my 1/4 mile improves.

FINALLY got the new wrong sized bushing out. Must've been frustration that I couldn't get it out. It slipped right out this morning. I got the Ford replacement bushings yesterday. This Saturday depending on weather I'm gonna do the swap.

I came home on my lunch break real quick to install the ford bushings. Man these things went in smoothly. The ones I got from Napa were definitely too big. I’ll be getting my money back on those. Next time I’ll do measurements first before trying to install something like this.

Welp... I’m throwing in the towel on this rear swap for today. It’s being more difficult for me than I thought. I feel like I got nothing done. All I got done was removing the axles and the backing plates for the drums. Also disconnecting the lower arms from the rear end. That’s about it. I was told to just swap the brake lines over to the 8.8. I can’t do that because the little Tee on the 7.5 where the rubber line meets the hard lines, it’s not removable. It’s welded on there. Also it looks like the rubber line isn’t removable from that tee either. How does one replace that rubber line if needed?? Is that normal for the 7.5? If so why were multiple people saying to swap it over? So now I’m gonna have to get some new hard lines and a new rubber line. Also I’m not sure what’s going on with the bolt on my drivers side shock. The nut is stuck on there. I’m not sure if it seized or the threads are trashed. The bolt was fine last summer. I had it off to replace that shock. I have to remove my exhaust to get to some bolts for the lower control arms. Already bashed my nose in lol that’s when I called it quits for the day. Became far too frustrated. I’d rather walk away. I’ll get back on it tomorrow. Kinda screwed myself a bit since this is my daily driver. I won’t have it done tomorrow. Nobody local has the brake hose I need. I guess I could use the one off this 8.8 but I don’t wanna trust it.

Went back at it. Got the 7.5 out. All 4 new arms on the chassis. The 8.8 is under the car but still on jack stands and a jack. For the life of me I can not get this thing lined up to get the bolts in. One bolt on one upper goes in all the way. The other upper only through one side. One lower a bolt goes in only one side. The other lower I can’t get a bolt in at all. Frustration got the best of me again as daylight ran out. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Update! Ok I got this 8.8 in finally. It was much easier after a good nights rest. Things lined up much easier. Only things I need to do now are figure out what I’m gonna do about the rear brakes. Put my exhaust back on. And also get a new shock bolt since I’m gonna have to cut it to get my shock off the 7.5. I’m thinking of changing shocks though. Since my lower control arms are adjustable I no longer need my air shocks to control ride height to clear my poor choice of backspaced wheels.

Took my first test drive. I have to say the car handles soooo much better. It actually wants to put power to the ground now. It was a short drive but there was no wheel hop whatsoever. It was pretty nice having two wheels wanting to move the car instead of one. Won’t be driving the car yet because I still don’t have rear brakes. I got some stuff in town for the brakes. Wrong size threads on the lines I got. I know what I need now. I can just get everything from LMR but I’m on a budget. So I’m bending my own lines trying to still use the same intermediate lines the car came with.

Just a few randoms on my phone. I was bad taking pictures during this swap.

How are those lower arms? do you get mush adjustment from them?
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    How are those lower arms? do you get mush adjustment from them?
    I like them a lot compared to the stocks. I’m very happy I chose these. They keep the rear end planted pretty well. The car feels a lot tighter now going down the road. As far as adjustment I believe I can raise height an inch and lower two, from what I’ve read. Im not positive on that. I didn’t do any measurements before I took off all the old stuff.

I've got the granatelli copies of those lowers. It's nice to have stock style springs but the ability to go out and set the ride height exactly where you want. The beefy control arms also limit rear end flex which is helping eliminate your wheel hop!

Keep your eyes out for a SN95 8.8. If you're not looking for one (which I guess you aren't now) you can get one pretty cheap. It comes with 5 lug and disc brakes. Once you put discs on the back, you'll wonder how you stopped before! The stock fox brakes are woefully inadequate for spirited driving!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    I've got the granatelli copies of those lowers. It's nice to have stock style springs but the ability to go out and set the ride height exactly where you want. The beefy control arms also limit rear end flex which is helping eliminate your wheel hop!

Keep your eyes out for a SN95 8.8. If you're not looking for one (which I guess you aren't now) you can get one pretty cheap. It comes with 5 lug and disc brakes. Once you put discs on the back, you'll wonder how you stopped before! The stock fox brakes are woefully inadequate for spirited driving!
    Brakes are something I need to upgrade. Car doesn't stop very well with what I have. The small 9" rotors I believe they are and the drum setup. I have a parts car to do an SN95 setup for the front.

Finally got rid of my old 2.3 along with the transmission, driveshaft, and the rear end. I gave them away to someone that I thought of as a younger me. I was under the impression he was gonna use them for a project. Thought I’d help the kid out. I saw this morning he tore the engine apart and posted it all on Facebook for sale. Sh*tty thing to do I believe. But oh well. At least the stuff is outta my yard.

Nothing really to update. I've done nothing to the car other than just enjoy driving it. Mainly because I don't have the funds for what I want next. It's been nice to not have something to tear it apart somehow each weekend though. Next things I want are wider wheels in the back. Lost me a little street fun the other night because my little 235s don't hold up. I also wanna go with a decent set of aluminum heads after the wheels.

Wow, I've been off of this for almost a year. I dont have much of an update at all. I installed gauges with LED lights. I kept the stock speedo and tach for now. Finally got my tach working with an MSD Tach Adapter. I don't believe its accurate (Didn't expect it to be on point). I have my rev limiter set at 5,500. My tach gets to 6K before I hit the limiter.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567