Close

Default 1985 2.3 outer timing cover needed

I am in need of the outer timing cover for my 2.3 N/A. I looked online with no such luck. Does anyone know where I can source one? Tried my local ford dealership and no luck either. I'm trying to get this car ready for a car show in august and will be making this engine pretty! Won't look right without the timing cover. The old one was broken when we got the car. Only half of it was on there still. Any help I will greatly appreciate! I've been working my butt off trying to clean up this engine. Looks like the poor old thing has never been clean since it left the factory. The outer timing cover is so far the only part that I'm needing and can't find. Also, no nearby junkyards have a 2.3 (sigh)

You would have better luck placing a post in the Classified Want To Buy section or you can wait for a mod to move this there, which they will. Good luck with your search.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Other than the junkyards, you probably won't find any places carrying stuff for the 2.3L engines. This little engine doesn't receive a great deal of respect from the aftermarket like the 5.0L engine does.

Good luck with your search. I'd like to pictures of your project. Did you create a "Build Thread" yet?
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    Other than the junkyards, you probably won't find any places carrying stuff for the 2.3L engines. This little engine doesn't receive a great deal of respect from the aftermarket like the 5.0L engine does.

Good luck with your search. I'd like to pictures of your project. Did you create a "Build Thread" yet?
    Exactly the response I was expecting to get. I suppose it won't look too bad without the cover although I will keep looking... No, I have yet to create a build thread. I am planning on doing so soon. I have some pictures already taken of the engine before I did anything to it and also of the interior as I plan on revamping that. I wish I would've taken pictures of the car when we first got it. Shame on me. Car is a very slow build so don't expect fast progress. I'll post more details in the actual thread when I make it.

There's about 6 million Rangers with that engine in it so this is not going to be a hard part to find.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

To be honest, I kind of like the look of these engines without the timing cover installed.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    There's about 6 million Rangers with that engine in it so this is not going to be a hard part to find.
    I can normally find what I need but this I can not. Like I said there are no 2.3s in any kind of vehicle in any nearby Junkyards for me. I haven't had any lucky finding this "not hard to find part" anywhere near me. I've tried Facebook pages for towns near me and nothing as of yet. I'm not trying to travel very far for such an item. Which is why I came here for help hoping somebody might have one laying around they will sell and ship to me.

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    To be honest, I kind of like the look of these engines without the timing cover installed.
    I like the look too. I'm just undecided if I like it more with or without. I guess once I start cleaning and painting I'll probably end up liking it without. My build thread is now up in the show and tell section. Go have a look. I'll be trying to update weekly.

Here is about 40 of them that are OEM Ford brand new in the Ford wrapper for less than $40. A couple of these sellers have more then 15.
    Have you posted your ad in the Classifieds "wanted" section yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-2001-Fo...NWxin~&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-95-...dVm-uc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-OUT...FWJnH4&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-TIMI...pW~Whk&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...JXWHSA&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by homer302; 07-03-2016 at 07:23 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Here is about 40 of them that are OEM Ford brand new in the Ford wrapper for less than $40. A couple of these sellers have more then 15.
    Have you posted your ad in the Classifieds "wanted" section yet?
    I saw several of those but I swear I had seen a post that had said the later 2.3 Timing covers on those Rangers changed a tad where the bolts mount it. For the life of me I cant finf the post that had said that again. But shoot if that's not the case then I'll happily order one of those.

those are not correct for the early cars you will need 90 and back models

Well...that's a bummer. Just here recently there were a couple 85-86 2.3 Mustangs in the yards that still had intact engines and components. Never would have given any thought of pulling off the outer timing covers.

Too bad this one has already been crushed recently.

Attachment 102298
    Attachment 102299

There is an 87 in the yard here, but hard to say what it looks like or what motor is in it. If interested, I could take a look as they are open today and let you know what I find out.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-04-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by tonysilver82 View Post
    those are not correct for the early cars you will need 90 and back models
    Not correct or won't fit? He is not building a Concours show car.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Well...that's a bummer. Just here recently there were a couple 85-86 2.3 Mustangs in the yards that still had intact engines and components. Never would have given any thought of pulling off the outer timing covers.

Too bad this one has already been crushed recently.

Attachment 102298
    Attachment 102299

There is an 87 in the yard here, but hard to say what it looks like or what motor is in it. If interested, I could take a look as they are open today and let you know what I find out.
    Yes! I would greatly appreciate that. Let me know what you find and we can talk business. Also sad to know that car was crushed...

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    Yes! I would greatly appreciate that. Let me know what you find and we can talk business. Also sad to know that car was crushed...
    I should know something by tomorrow. I will PM you if it looks to be something we can make a deal on.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I should know something by tomorrow. I will PM you if it looks to be something we can make a deal on.
    Sounds like a plan

Not correct or won't fit? He is not building a Concours show car.
    Can anyone confirm whether those in the links above will work for me?

FEP Power Member

They will not work, look at the holes down the side, you have to have a different back.
    Kendal

As if certain parts for our cars are blacked out from catalogs, like classified info in a document.
    In between area of parts pre 1979 and 1990+ new
    Sketchy info

There were steel and plastic timing cover assy.
    Timing pointers and no timing pointers.
    Ranger versions are more common. Same as Mustang?

My 79 2.3t is metal, blue, with bolts.
    My 93 Ranger 2.3 is plastic, black, snap taps.

Pre 84 metal prob did not change much. Pinto, Fox + Mustang II 2.3, others.
    Then there are the 87-90 marine OMC 2.3 Cobra and industrial 2.3 apps.

Far as i can tell (ebay sellers), plastic 84-88 are the same using the same E3ZZ-6019-B inner timing cover.
    D4FZ6019C, E3ZZ6019B 74-88 inner, plastic, bolts?

Then the inner changed OEM # F3ZZ6019B 89-94 most likely because the outer changed too.
    2.3 F3ZZ-6019-A outer cover, tabs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-2001-Fo...3D321981847253

Possible could change the inner cover to the more available later design.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-06-2016 at 02:58 PM.

I was curious about these items, too. Especially with them being plastic and black. Mine is metal and blue.
    Build Thread

Default Timing cover

Brand new to the site here..... Sir I am pulling my 1985 2.3 and you can have the timing cover for free. Just cover shipping. If it arrives and doesn't look like you can use it no worries on shipping.
    Last edited by OIF/OEF; 07-27-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEF View Post
    Brand new to the site here..... Sir I am pulling my 1985 2.3 and you can have the timing cover for free. Just cover shipping. If it arrives and doesn't look like you can use it no worries on shipping.
    I replied to your private message. I'm unsure if it went through. If not please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEF View Post
    What are you doing with the engine and the rest of the components? Do you have a "For Sale" post?
    Build Thread