Close

Default 84 Radio Removal

I have to pull the factory head unit from the Predator to do some wiring. Can anyone help me with removal procedure? I read about other years and I guess there is a central nut in the back and the unit has to be removed out the back? What about the knobs etc? Simply pull them off? Any insight would be welcome thanks
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

IIRC, the knobs on the radio simply pop straight off of the unit and then there are nuts behind them that attach it to the dash hull. Behind the dash, there may or may not be a central mounting bar that connects to the radio. I have seen both ways on the 84's that I had/have. The hardest part is getting the radio out from inside the dash as it has to go backwards into the dash and out through the bottom or side of the dash. It's been a long time since I pulled the one out of the 84 vert I had but I remember having to move a bracket or bar out of the way in order to get it fished out from there. It wasn't a really fun process but it came out.

Oh, I might add that the car had no console in it so I think that made it easier to pull it out. I'm not sure how big of a pain it would be to do on a console car.

I might have some pictures of this area on my external drive. I will check that out and see if I can come up with any good visual aids for you.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-01-2016 at 06:39 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I don't have much on this drive, but this might help give you an idea on that the back of the dash on an 84 looks like. If you look, there is a metal tray that is below the radio and this one had a bar that ran from up above the radio and connected to the back. Once disconnected, the bar can be moved and the radio slid out the back. Again, since this was a NON-console car, I was able to drop the radio straight down and bring it out the bottom but I still had to work around the existing wiring and HVAC ducting. I can honestly say that I'm glad the newer ones come out the front LOL!

Attachment 102184
    Brock

Yes...pull the knobs off and then remove the hex nuts on the front. Remove the back support/brackets and it should be free. I like to remove the console as it makes life easier to get your hands in there for persuasion. You also need to remove the HVAC duct diverter. Then with some twisting and cussing...the radio should slide out the back, to the passenger side over the trans tunnel.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Yes...pull the knobs off and then remove the hex nuts on the front. Remove the back support/brackets and it should be free. I like to remove the console as it makes life easier to get your hands in there for persuasion. You also need to remove the HVAC duct diverter. Then with some twisting and cussing...the radio should slide out the back, to the passenger side over the trans tunnel.
    That's it! I couldn't quite remember if it came straight out the bottom or out the side. It sure was a pain in the @ss though!
    Brock

Ok thanks guys that's very helpful. Pulling the console is simple so that's no issue. Sounds like it will be fun
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

I think I'm going to carefully box up the original radio and try this head unit

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...nt=13037904003

It can be ordered with black knobs and buttons. Bluetooth, USB & Aux ports. 25Wx4 plus RCA pre-outs including sub

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  39.9 KB
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
    Ok thanks guys that's very helpful. Pulling the console is simple so that's no issue. Sounds like it will be fun
    It's a blast! Good luck with it and make sure there are no young ears around.

Whatcha doing back there that needs the radio removed, if I may ask?

EDIT: I just saw the above post....nevermind. That radio looks pretty slick and it would be nice to have the modern features in the car and retain a somewhat factory appearance.
    Brock

I was considering doing the "stealth" install of the Bluetooth amp module but I'd love some USB & Aux inputs plus a moder tuning system for radio. This Retosound unit gets really good reviews. Custom Autosound also fits but the reviews are pretty bad
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

I think you have the right idea. Sometimes things need a little updating and a modern radio only adds to the driving experience. I would do the same.
    Brock

I'll just make a mini harness that uses the pins for ignition and illumination and bypass everything else leaving it in place including stock speaker wire. That will make any return to stock effort pretty simple. I wonder if I even need a 4 channel amp given I only plan to use stock speaker sizes?
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

That's a great idea....most people do the ol' hack and whack and I never understood why. There are a lot better ways to do it. If you are upgrading the speakers then I would add an amp. Most stock replacements have a lot higher rating than the factory's and who doesn't want a little extra oomph from the sound system?
    Brock

I figured you'd say that. I've built a few systems before and it gets into mountings and crossovers etc. And all that power with no sub? Snowball effect! I might skip the amp initially if I can find a way to manage the pre-outs and speaker wire such that adding an amp later doesn't mean pulling the head unit.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

LOL! I have built plenty of them over the years and I understand completely. Audio can be just as bad as horsepower.....never can have enough! I think in a Fox Stang, where to mount things could be a trick. I like all of my components hidden and that can always pull a bit of a challenge, especially if it is a over time upgrade project. HMMM...now you have me thinking about this as there is nothing in my car and some tunes would be nice every now and then. The advantage I have is my dash has been cut already, so adding and upgrading will be easy peezy. No cussing for this guy!
    Brock

It's been a long time since I pulled the one out of the 84 vert I had but I remember having to move a bracket or bar out of the way in order to get it fished out from there.

Correct...rear support brackets and the HVAC duct diverter as mentioned.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Linear dials and push buttons are cool for show.
    Will never put a shaft radio in my DD non-show car again.

i cut for DIN and never looked back
    Also added an aux fuse box controlled with key on relay to power the post 80's stuff.
    run new radio related wiring, etc.

25w rms per channel should be plenty. Adjust amp gain as req.
    high pass the fronts, say 100hz cut, full spectrum for rear.
    Bass 'blockers' not needed if amp has high pass filter(s).

subs are another story.

amping additional speakers (total more than 4) can cover bass nicely without any large dia sub.
    I have 8. Two JBL 3.5 in dash, six 6x8 Explorer Limited front door 2 way in rear.
    Kept all speakers at 2 ohm+ via wire phasing.
    Lowered the 400w 4ch amp gain to 1/3 using stock 90's Ford DIN radio speaker outs to amp.
    This puts radio vol control at 2/3 for max usable level. Clear solid bass with no overbass 'thump'.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-08-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Hi All! First post... I know this is an old thread but I need some help!

Is there a trick to removing the HVAC floor duct? I've got an '85 convertible and I'm trying to install a stock AM/FM Cassette. The cheap replacement unit someone put in easily pulled out through the front, but I know the stock unit of this year has to enter through the rear. I've removed the console, the wiring harness, and now am trying to get the duct work out to provide clearance. I've removed the two screws that hold the duct in place. It's loose but won't come totally free. Don't want to break it. The factory manual is not representative of what I've got.

Also, if anyone has a stock premium sound unit I'd be interested in obtaining another. Thanks!

Got it! Since I was doing an install rather than removal I gained some clearance but taking off the needless brackets behind the radio. Key thing for me was to remove the bolt, driver's side, just above the knee, between the metal frames. Then I was able to push the radio into the duct and lightly pull out the lower dash at the same time... just enough clearance! Hope this helps someone!