Close

Default Under hood light

Hello, all:

Anyone repair their under hood light? I need to remove mine and clean it up but right now there doesn't seem to be continuity between the socket and a good ground. Sometimes there is and other times there is not. I also thought they were a mercury type switch but I also heard they are not. So how do they actually work? Thanks.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I took mine off of my Cobra when I had it painted. When I reinstalled it, I couldn't get it to work at all - then I figured out that I had mounted it upside down (bulb was aimed toward the front of the hood). Once I turned the socket so that the bulb was facing the other way (toward the bottom), it worked perfectly. Try that before driving yourself crazy.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

They do not use anything so fancy as a mercury capsule, just a weighted contact, acting against a light
    spring. The contact controls continuity between the feed wire and the center pin in the socket.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Newer Ford trucks have a nice LED under hood light. Thinking of doing one for my 20th.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Newer Ford trucks have a nice LED under hood light. Thinking of doing one for my 20th.
    Or you could go to Superbrights.com and get an LED bulb to replace the stock incandescent one, it's about $15 and the part number is BA15S.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    Or you could go to Superbrights.com and get an LED bulb to replace the stock incandescent one, it's about $15 and the part number is BA15S.
    Thanx for the info. Not 100% if mine has the rest of the light and harness. Been awhile since I looked under the hood.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.