Close

Default Worrying compression test results on 2.3L

Hi,

I've done the compression test on the 2.3L of my '79 notchback and the results are bad :
    1 - 130psi
    2 - 140psi
    3 - 70psi (did it at least 5 times)
    4 - 130psi

I've done a basic leak down test afterwards, with just air into each cylinder at compression stroke (I don't have a tester). On cylinders 1, 2 and 4, I got a very audible noise coming out of the carburetor which would indicate leaky intake valves.
    On cylinder 3 though, fresh air was coming out of the oil filler cap/breather hole on the valve cover, which would mean bad rings or bad cylinder. Or could it be a cracked head ?

The symptoms are blue smoke on acceleration, a rather rough and noisy idle, black and oily plugs, shaky engine.

What do you think about those results ?

Thanks

Time for a rebuild. Oily plugs means your oil ring on the piston is allowing crankcase oil to get passed it and into the cylinder. Blue smoke is also a symptom of burning oil.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 08-06-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: "is allowing" instead of "is not allowing"
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version