Close

Default 1979 mustang ghia cope 351 Cleveland 5 speed

1979 ford mustang ghia notchback coupe 351.Cleveland 5 speed, 308 8.8 posi. The car has a built 351 Cleveland with boss 351 closed chambered heads still on leaded fuel, fully balanced, 550 plus lift cam, i think.it's 11.5 to 1 compression , new.starter,new battery, thermostat,thermostat housing , ram air air filter, Custom built long tube headers,new 770 cfm street avenger carb, electric fans hooked to toggle switch, always ran full synthetic oil. Runs like a rapped ape tons of power. Has a exhaust leak on the header flange on the head. I may just fix that, not sure yet, 2 1/2 xpipe with Drag mufflers all the way out the back with turn downs. im sure im missing something I'll add more info that comes to mind. Has a t5 5 speed Trans shifts flawlessly. Has a 8.8 position 308 gears out of a 91 police interceptor. New paint and clear coat.. Has the 79 pace car look alike airdam, 87 gt ground effects kit, cobra style spoiler, new head liner, Quarter glass converted to the full glass insead of the louvers witch i have and will go with the car. New struts and shocks. 17" pony wheels with almost new front tires and has drag radials on the rear. Interior is pretty good condition. Has working a/c as well. Has aftermarket headlights. 6000k hids on the low beam only. They don't light bright it needs a relay harness for proper voltage due to the light switch don't supply enough juice. Cheap fix though. I didn't wire up the LED park lights in the headlights themselves. Needs a new windshield washer pump,
    Text is best
    Duane
    801 859 2074
    Located in slc,ut
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow. That is pretty cool. One of my friends has a cleveland in a Pace Car. did I miss it in the ad or was there no price listed?
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

6000 obo

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wow. That is pretty cool. One of my friends has a cleveland in a Pace Car. did I miss it in the ad or was there no price listed?
    Where was your friend's Cleveland pace car? When I was young, my older cousin put a Cleveland in his. It's what got me into the fox bodies. Just curious if it's possible this could be the same car. I'm in West Virginia, but my cousin lived just across the river in Ohio.

Nice looking coupe here, too. Sounds like a bargain with all the work that has been done.

79 Ghia notch! Cleveland power!

You're killing me here!

GLWS

how'd you get it to fit under a stock hood? I've searched forums and mostly everyone says a cowl is required for this swap

Quote Originally Posted by Tuitasi32 View Post
    how'd you get it to fit under a stock hood? I've searched forums and mostly everyone says a cowl is required for this swap

No, the Cleveland is a 9.206 inch deck height engine, even 9.500 or 9.469" 351 W's can just fit under the stock hoodline.

The 351c, the 17 inch air cleaner from 4bbls, no, as the firewall gusset juts out at just the wrong position.

The taller 351W, it just fits with the 4bbl air cleaner.

The Box Foxes have a 1" shallower plenum, and a 1" taller, less sloping front. On balance, a 17" air cleaner is not possible with the Cleveland, though you might need to put the Dawg on the chain......the engine rocks under load, and a torque limiting strap will help keep the donk under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by montstr View Post
    Hello, figured I should say hi eventually, as I've had a Fairmont for about 8 years now, and have browsed occasionally but never became a member. So here I am! I'll start by posting a few pics of the Monster from the last few years, and then I'll head to the Non Mustang section and put the rest of the pics there....if you want to see what I've done, you'll just have to go look! Justin

Shortly after I got the car. It was a 2.3 3 speed floor shift car, factory buckets and no options at all...I immediately set upon sticking a 351w in it.

351w with 5.8 4V HO air cleaner.

SNUG! less than 3/16" clearance, but never touched!

Key for Clevelands is to use the stock height intake and the 15 inch air cleaner, not the 17 inch 4V 1983-1985 or 1984-1985 EFI HO CFi version, also used as the Truck 4bbl air cleaner. Its too big because of how the Cleveland sits in a Fox.

Its the 10.322 deck 429 or 460 that has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 7point5inafox View Post
    Brief history: I like all muscle cars but was mostly a Chevy guy until I bought a totaled 8K mile '89 LX 5.0L 5-spd that was barely a year old to flip. Once it was on the road I was hooked and I still own it. A couple yrs later after reading Car Craft article on a big block Fox body I found an '80 at the the end of its life and a rotted out '71 Lincoln. That car was so much fun I looked for a better car to put my drivetrain in. I found this 99K mile EFI/auto car for sale in the rebuildable row of a local wrecking yard. It had a melted wires due to a previous fire, bad AOD and smashed front end but it was fully loaded with zero rust, excellent interior and no T-tops, SOLD. After 18 mos I had it ready to be in my wedding and onto the 1st of 6 Power Tours. I had a ton of my build photos and any progress being made on a CarDomain website before they royally screwed up that up with their new format. It was stock looking for a few years until my brother found a deal on the Convo Pros and it's looked the same since. After a bunch of neglect due to being a responsible adult with too many projects it needed redone badly for years. My son and I started in the spring of '13 to make it road worthy again. I'm finally fixing all the little things that bugged me all those years.

Most people get greedy with the air cleaner diameter and intake manifold deck height.

The 302/351 Cleveland was designed with a low deck height just to fit the unibody Fords. I'm Antipodean Islander (Kiwi) , so my background is Aussie Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes and LTD's which after 1979 got lower European Fox style hoodlines and after 1982, even lower still. A 4bbl Edelbrock carb or Street Demon is a Carter Thermoquad height carb, and they can be modified to take a 15 inch air cleaner, and still fit EGR.

Quote Originally Posted by bmf347 View Post

The picture that didnt show in your tag (above) has a 351 Clevland in it. Nice guy. He stopped to help out my buddy when he sheered off his wheel studs on his 07 shelby.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ksteeda View Post
    I used this to make a custom cold air system for my car. I built a new engine with a taller intake manifold and this no longer fits under the hood so I need to sell it. I can sell just the air cleaner or with the hoses too if someone is interested. The hoses are 4" ID hose and the attachment to the air cleaner was fabricated out of sheet metal and is no longer stock. The emissions connections were all welded shut as well and painted gloss black with a polished lid and a new decal. I have a spare decal i'll include with the sale. It also comes with a K&N filter element. It is not 100% perfect but it worked great on my holley carb. It may have a few nicks and scratches from being in storage. I would like to get $100 for just the air cleaner itself, plus shipping. Located in Fredericksburg.

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    Gorgeous coupe indeed!!

See the good info.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rnator-on-351C

Thanks for the response. Ive been thinking about investing in a 351c for my 1980 mustang, I was thinking about going with trick flow efi kit for it. Ill look into that page you referred. Thats perfect because I was also wanting to retain all engine accessories

The problem is again that a large port Cleveland responds best to a stock dual plane design, best still is the Boss aluminum or 1973 HO 351 replacement which makes the 351C 31 pounds lighter or a 569 pound engine. It was always 34 pounds heavier than a 351W, despite its reduced height.

The "C" is as great as a degree...

After 1972, they had EGR spacers and heavy iron intakes. Even the Australians kept the iron intake right to the end in 1982, it weighed the same as the 351M. With its thicker XE casting pillow block and all ancillaries (SalecTaire AC, Power steering, iron intake, 9.5 inch clutch and iron bellhousing for a Single Rail four speed) its a 717 pound engine.