Close

Default So a funny story...

So my oldest boy (7 yrs) has been asking me to take him for a cruise in the 85 GT vert. Yesterday we finally decided to make that wish an actual.
    The drive started off fine enough...then it started to afternoon colorado rain on us. Fortunately we were able to keep ahead of the storm so that we got to experience the open top all the entire time. He loved it, even as a few rogue drops graced our faces. After a stop at a take-n-bake pizza place...I decided to show the young one what the acceleration felt like. I got into it through the first two gears before the speed limit decided I should pay attention. The boy was all grins, so we slowed down to make another short jaunt to 60. This time I started in second and let it climb up to 6k. All of a sudden I here a small pop and my engine races up to over 7500 rpm! I fortunately was quick to think and turned the car off. Whew, now let's see if that was just a stuck throttle linkage or something. Start the car again and once more it rockets to 7500RPM. The car gets turned off and I slowly crawl to a side street to see what in the world is going on. At this point my boy is starting to panic a bit.

So check this...the carb air cleaner stud somehow wiggled out of the Holley and fell INTO the secondary bowl. The Secondaries were stuck wide open! I pulled the stud and threaded it back in and hoped that I didn't grenade the engine.

With a small prayer I turned the key. The vert burbled and settled into a normal idle. I drove home with no other issues however I never got on the gas hard again.

The boy and I had a good laugh afterwards and I was quite impressed at how fast and effortlessly the Explorer motor surged to 7500 plus. Hopefully nothing permanent was damaged!
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

Cool. The car WANTED to go faster than you did...
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Glad all turned out well. That could have ended very badly.
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

Blog Entries

Now you're making me want to go check the air cleaner stud on mine to be sure----lol
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Threadlocker is your friend. I assume you added that to your list as soon as you got home.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Blog Entries

When I bought my '68 mustang, it had no engine in it. It was gone, because the prior owner dropped the air cleaner wing nut in the motor, while it was running. Goodbye, 390. Ever since i heard that story, i have actually welded the wingnut to the carb stud on most of my cars. It is a little bit of a pain to get the stud started into the carb on re-installing the air cleaner, but i never have to worry about dropping it or it getting lost.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Yes, fortunately with a manual car...those types of danger situations can easily be mitigated with the pedal. If it was an auto...not too sure what would have happened haha!

I was going to put a nut on the stud at the carb...i wanted to try threadlock but have never used it...does it make the stud permanent or just a lot less likely to back out?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

If you're using threaded rod in place of the factory style studded bolt, IMO a lock nut is mandatory.

Apart from the stuck throttle, I'm sure the car left a lasting positive impression on your son. Those
    experiences are priceless.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by Neener View Post
    Yes, fortunately with a manual car...those types of danger situations can easily be mitigated with the pedal. If it was an auto...not too sure what would have happened haha!

I was going to put a nut on the stud at the carb...i wanted to try threadlock but have never used it...does it make the stud permanent or just a lot less likely to back out?
    WOW! Crazy story but glad it worked out and no major issues. If you chose to use threadlocker or Loctite, use the blue stuff. It will keep it from backing out and it will allow you to remove it later if need be. The red stuff almost makes it a permanent fixture to where you will almost surely break something if you want to remove it.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?