Close

Default Fox + SN95 Brakes + Braided Stainless Hoses?

Anyone else have this combination? I'm trying to address a sticking brakes condition, and I'm concerned that the where the brake hose attaches to the line is part of the problem. On a Fox, the brake line comes out of the engine bay toward the rear of the opening and then curves upward. On an SN95, the brake line is nearly behind the strut, horizontal, and aimed rearward. At least according to these pics I found online.

ANYWAY, I did have another photo, but photobucket doesn't feel like working right now. Thank goodness it loaded the ads for me though!

So, the problem is that, braided stainless lines have a longer rigid part at the ends than regular brake hoses. TOO long of a rigid part. Since the Fox line is aimed upward, the hose ends up pulled tight. I'm thinking maybe it's being pinched closed there, and that may be contributing to my sticking brakes problem. I'm also replacing my calipers, but I want to address the thing with the hoses now too if I need to. I'm not at home right now, or I'd take some pictures of what mine looks like and post them. I'll do that when I get there.

Thoughts?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Name:  SN95 Line 2.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  46.1 KBName:  SN95 Line.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  68.3 KB

These are what I believe an SN95 setup looks like.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, here's the picture of mine.

See what i mean? The red arrow points to where the pinch point is. It seems like a regular brake hose is able to flex much father down than that, so i didn't notice the problem with those.

I wonder if i should just make a little extension piece of line for each side so the place the hose attaches could be more like an SN95. I am just not that big of a fan of adding more fittings that could leak. Oh well.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad, I would be concerned with that myself. All the Mustangs and Capri's have the fitting horizontal so you won't have that sharp of a bend. I would try to splice in a longer line so you don't have all the fittings right at the end of the line.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Really, that's just an F/Z thing? That's a good idea though about the splicing.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad,
    On my car, I have the Cobra/Mach 1 calipers and the s/s braided lines.
    I am working off the stock mounting point and they work fine.
    At a glance, your brake line looks shorter than mine.
    I'll see if I have some pictures.
    If not, I'll pull my front wheels off and take some pictures and measure the length of the brake lines.
    Pretty sure I used the Russell s/s lines.
    Rob

Whoa, that looks like a safety (travel) issue too.

You might try removing the brake lines from the frame bracket, then heat up the bracket with a propane torch, and then twist it so it is horizontal. Reinstall your current brake lines and and see if they fit better.

Not sure if that will work but maybe might

Comparably your lines look shorter then the others posted. I would suggest new lines before adding fittings.

I agree that it's a safety problem. I've considered bending the existing lines. I'll feel better with an extension on there though. I can mount it wherever I want then. I just hate cutting and flaring lines.

That brake hose is a J&M. I bought some new ones just in case these've been damaged from sitting in such an awkward way. The new ones I have are Maximum Motorsports, but don't seem to be any longer. That fitting's just gotta move, I think.

Thanks for the help so far, all.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ev5oh View Post
    Comparably your lines look shorter then the others posted. I would suggest new lines before adding fittings.
    What's funny is, I think the first pic is from a "how to install J&M brake hoses" article on American Muscle. Maybe they sent me the wrong ones or something...

But yes, I do have new ones.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I just suggested to bend the bracket, cause I'm a cheapskate and would rather make it work with what I have, rather than buy another set of longer lines (unless that is the only right way to go).

It might be just an optical illusion, but does this braided line look a little bit longer (perhaps an inch or two) than both your line, and the other braided line in the pics that you posted?

It looks like you have the PBR dual piston calipers. I have been told that they are prone to sticking. I had a set ready to bolt on but I ended up selling them. I never installed them nor have I experienced the sticking from them. Just trying to help. That line does look too short.
    05 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I just suggested to bend the bracket, cause I'm a cheapskate and would rather make it work with what I have, rather than buy another set of longer lines (unless that is the only right way to go).
    I would recommend removing the bracket and flipping it so it sits like the bracket in picture #2 of your #2 post. Then put a slight bend or curve into the line to make it fit into the bracket. You will have to drill a pair of holes, but an easier fix IMHO.

Lines do look a bit short IMHO, but hard to say if they are too short. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by 84lxvert View Post
    It looks like you have the PBR dual piston calipers. I have been told that they are prone to sticking. I had a set ready to bolt on but I ended up selling them. I never installed them nor have I experienced the sticking from them. Just trying to help. That line does look too short.
    Yep, the new calipers i have are single piston '94-98 style, and that's exactly why.

But yeah, i'll fiddle with the lines and brackets and see what i can come up with, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'd like to share some pictures. The Fairmont/Zephyrs shared the same brake line and hose brackets as the '79-'84 Mustang/Capris:

The V8 '85/'86 Mustang/Capris and '87-'93 V8 Mustangs changed the brakeline/hose brackets and their position:

When I converted my '84 to the later brakes I used all the front brake lines from an V8 '85 Mustang and the brakeline/hose bracket from an '89 V8 Mustang.

I would recommend doing the same.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I'm kind of confused by all the other stuff in the middle picture, but I think I got it. A good solution!

In your first picture too, you can really see how a normal brake hose is flexible much closer to the fitting than a braided stainless. I wonder why that is.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad,
    Sorry, I'm late getting back to you.
    Here are some pictures of the set up I'm using on my '84.
    I used the Cobra/Mach I calipers and rotors, the 94/95 spindles and the Russell SS brake lines.

Name:  IMG_5237.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5241.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  83.0 KB

Also, I measured the lines so you can see the length of them.

Name:  IMG_5226.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5227.jpg
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5228.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

Hope this helps if you go this route.
    Rob

Thanks! That looks like a nice fit on yours. I ended up buying a set of front hard lines for an '87-93. I figured that would get me the better spot for the hose fitting, but wouldn't go around the front of the engine bay like an SN95 might. I'll measure my hoses for sure though because now I'm curious.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, i measured mine.

That small difference in length must've just been what made it possible on yours! Also, i suppose the fitting might be higher on the Cobra calipers.

I guess if you have the earlier lines, Russell hoses are the way to go!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-12-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here's what i ended up with. Many adapters later.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I run 99GT dual Pistons with braided lines on my 86. I setup the brake hoses nearly identical to how they are pictured on "Friggin Futura" and they work perfectly.

get some drilled/slotted rotors and really good pads while you are at it.

My crappy old rust pile 86GT out brakes my father-in-law's Z06 Vette these days-- which seriously pisses him off - positively hilarious. Great brakes go well with stock power or your favorite bolt-ons.

After all these years I've definately caught the go fast through better parts bug. My car was stock as they come until it had 425K miles on it. For the longest time I just flogged what I had and let my driving do the talking.

Get the the good stuff any time it helps you live with it too my friend - then it's even more fun!

Thanks. Yeah, I think the pads I picked are pretty good, and the rotors may end up being replaced if I find they are warped. Making my car livable is definitely one of my highest priorities!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST