Close

Default Brake hose question

So I'm swapping out my 8.8 in my 85, for another 8.8. I'm having some issues with mine, so I picked the other one ip so I can rebuild mine and have a spare..on to my questions. The rear brake hose on the 8.8 I'm removing does not use a banjo bolt, but it's set in a bracket and the hard line threads into it. The new rear has the typical aero banjo hose. I've been looking on like and can't find the hose I need. Anyone been through this..the pic is the hose I need. ThanksName:  20160628_223325.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  84.3 KB

The 1985 cars did not have the 8.8 rear end originally. They were all equipped with the 7.5" rear axle assembly from the factory.

If the rear axle you are swapping out is an actual 8.8 then it was swapped in by a PO.

The brake line you are looking at IIRC is the one year only 1985 center brake line due to the change to dual exhaust pipes on the 1985 5.0 models.

It should look like this:

Name:  85 rear brake hose.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  29.6 KB

That is available from Rock Auto under part number: WAGNER BH107278

You can use that hose on your new 8.8 or you can update to the later model 86+ style rear center hose. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks trey, I knew the rear had been swapped, just wasn't sure why I couldn't find a single bit of information on this hose. How would I upgrade to to 86 hose with the banjo bolt? I would have to change the hard line on the body? Or is there an adapter. Thanks again for the info!

You can get that line at your local auto parts store...at least you can here in Houston. The original owner of my 1985 GT had swapped out the 7.5" with an 8.8" when the original 7.5" unit went south. I replaced all the soft brake lines on the car when I went through it. I originally picked up a hose/bracket for a 1985...they come from the auto parts as one piece...not realizing I should have ordered a hose/bracket for a 1986 car. The bracket is a different height for each and because they are made together, they do not interchange.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by parkinglot View Post
    Thanks trey, I knew the rear had been swapped, just wasn't sure why I couldn't find a single bit of information on this hose. How would I upgrade to to 86 hose with the banjo bolt? I would have to change the hard line on the body? Or is there an adapter. Thanks again for the info!
    You would need the bracket that is riveted to the body from an 86-95 car. Then you will need the brake hose and rear end bracket for the 86+ 8.8 rear end. I haven't done this exact swap in years, so I don't remember all the details, but I believe it is fairly easy and straight forward. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 07-10-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Schooled by Jack Once Again!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I ordered the hose you posted trey, going to go that route right now, as I'm hoping to have this thing back together for saturday..lol..i'll keep you guys posted and I appreciate the info. I read about 30 posts the other night with no definitive answer, so I appreciate the time you guys took to help me out!

Yeah, the banjo fitting hose is way more trouble than it's worth.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

So I got the hose..it doesn't fit the mounting bracket off my car, and one side has a bigger fitting than the other...this is becoming a headache..

There are adapters for different line sizes. Also, you can get creative making a way to mount the hose to the bracket.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

You don't understand...I'm a truck driver, not a fabricator..lol...I modified the longer 8.8 bracket, as the person who swapped the 7.5 originally, left the short bracket on, just flopping around...I had ton use a drill..lol..I'm making progress...Name:  20160701_184644.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  124.5 KB

Oh, I'm not a fabricator either. I've just taken a chunk of metal, bent it in a vice until it does what I want, drilled some holes and done, haha. I would call what I do pulling solutions out of my ass.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Haha, well...loops like I can almost add fabricator to my resume...almost!!

Here's an example of my mad skills to solve the very problem you're having.

If i remember correctly, i ended up going a different direction with it though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Trey,

The chassis side bracket for a dual exhaust Mustang is only used on cars through 1995. In 1996, they all went to dual rear brake hoses.

4 cyl cars don't use this bracket since they all have single exhaust and a 7.5".
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Wow! I never noticed that even on my Cobra! Guess I didn't spend enough time underneath it!

Thanks for the correction. I will correct my statement above.

Thanks Jack!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Bringing this back from the dead:

What was the final solution here? And what did the OP do about the passenger side muffler hanger that just so happens to mount to the chassis holes already being used to hold the rear hard line bracket.....

If it helps, I can post pics, but I believe most understand what I'm referring to.

The dual exhaust brake hose bracket for the chassis is now available at the link below. You will also need to use a 1987-95 style rear center hose with it.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2073BRKT/mu...-bracket-86-93
    Jack Hidley

Thanks Jack. That was the original plan, but realized that I would have to pull and replace the entire hard line running the length of the undercarriage in order to meet this "newer" junction in the trans tunnel. I know it's pretty savage, but I believe I am just going to stack the factory hard line bracket on top of the muffler hanger and call it a day...... (and here comes your tech on why I shouldn't)

Just and another short piece of metal line with a union. Worked for me.

Glad they are making the bracket. They where/are hard to find clean ones here in MI
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

I would just do what Mr. Krazy did. Ideally you would bend the existing hard line at the rear seat bulkhead up into the driveshaft area so it is away from the muffler, then add on the coupler and new hard line. Then the line follows the factory 8.8" routing for the 1986-95 cars.
    Jack Hidley