Close

Default T5 - C4 engine bellhousing seperator plates.

I am swapping a 351w that had an automatic transmission on it into my 84 capri that has a t5.

Are the manual/automatic bellhousing seperator plates the same or not? I had the engine almost seated against the bellhousing and it looks like the starter bolt holes dont line up?

I want to use the automatic plate on the T5 because the T5's spacer plate is cracked. Thanks
    Last edited by Byers; 06-24-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Probably not. Look at the starter locations for the automatic versus the T5, and they will likely be different. Best way is to compare them side by side.

Where is the T5 plate cracked? Near the starter? I ran a boogered-up plate on my old '92, and never had any issues.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Senior Member

The 351 probably had a larger flywheel starter ring gear. So the starter is moved out a little farther.

Automatic flex plates are usually 164 tooth while t-5's are generally 157tooth. There is a difference of about 3/4" between the starter holes on the two. I used a 164 tooth flywheel on mine, but the dimples rubbed on the flywheel.

The auto usually has a removable section so that you can acess the torque converter bolts as well.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Haystack beat me to it!! That removable section would keep me from using it even if it did line up.
    Last edited by KevinD; 06-24-2016 at 04:32 PM.

When I did mine I thought I broke something when I went to start it up. Horrible metal on metal grinding. Bought the transfer for $150 off Craigslist and swapped the trans in days before I left for a 1920 mile drive for a job I was starting and had no time to fix stuff right. It did eventually stop making noise though, I used an old time hot rodder secret. Rev honing.

By the time I got back, it didn't make the noise anymore, and most of the underside of my car had pretty mettalic flakes everywhere underneath.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar