Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Interior plans

I posted about my plans for new upholstery in my wagon, and how I did my speaker upgrade to the rear speakers and grilles, and used those nice door speaker cavities in the front doors. Makes me wonder why Ford put those holes in the doors but never offered front door speakers as an option. Were the door skins used on other models?

I thought about posting this because I was preparing everything to re-install my Mustang Split-back cushions. The red backs just don't blend with chocolate velours and camel trim.

Anyway, there's lots of descriptions and pics in this link.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...re-57-Interior
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Maybe the Granada had door speakers?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

What you are discovering is very interesting. Unfortunately, my Cougar wagon seats and rear carpet are near mint or I'd like to swap in my '89 Mustang's split rear seats for the Cougars. I like your idea of building stronger mounts for the heavier speakers. I'll probably slap some aftermarket speakers on the custom metal mounts I'd be copying from your design. With the way I stuff things in the back, flush mount grilles would be a better idea for me. Great idea you have of assimilating parts from other Ford products.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Maybe the Granada had door speakers?
    Hmmm... I'll see ifI can find out. I know where there's a loaded 1982 Granada...
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    What you are discovering is very interesting. Unfortunately, my Cougar wagon seats and rear carpet are near mint or I'd like to swap in my '89 Mustang's split rear seats for the Cougars. I like your idea of building stronger mounts for the heavier speakers. I'll probably slap some aftermarket speakers on the custom metal mounts I'd be copying from your design. With the way I stuff things in the back, flush mount grilles would be a better idea for me. Great idea you have of assimilating parts from other Ford products.
    Thanks. If you do, scoop all the hardware, and take pics for reassembly. CRS gets us all, after 40.

My memory says "the 81-82 'square' Thunderbirds had door speakers on Fox doors". They had a plastic housing that stuck out a bit from the door panel, maybe 3/4"? The last time I saw one was probably about 20 years ago so I may be dreaming.
    Someone remind me in July (I get ashore the 10th) and I'll look it up in my dealer and service manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    My memory says "the 81-82 'square' Thunderbirds had door speakers on Fox doors". They had a plastic housing that stuck out a bit from the door panel, maybe 3/4"? The last time I saw one was probably about 20 years ago so I may be dreaming.

Someone remind me in July (I get ashore the 10th) and I'll look it up in my dealer and service manuals.
    I'll remind you!!!

There's a 1980 FOX T-Bird in one junkyard around here, but I already had the Lincoln housing, so I never bothered looking. I should have the car running by then, and I'm long OVERDUE for a good Junkyard Run!

The rear power windows in the shop manual are barely mentioned, no figures (tracings). I got a set from a 1984 LTD wagon, and swapped the arms on the rear with my clean manual arm and gear. Worked out nicely.

If you ever get your hands on an early 1960s shop manual, you'll be impressed with the artistry of the sketches and almost photographic quality of the figures. Don't know why Ford lost that talent, because those folks cared about their craft.

Oh, believe me, I know! I've got manuals for various vehicles ranging from the 1930s through mid-2000s.
    There's quite a range of difference, from the quasi-generic one-manual-fits-25-models Chiltons of the late 70s, to the early Jaguar manuals which are not only quite detailed, but bound in leather (so they don't look out of place in your fine library, I suppose).
    Even from 1978 to 1981, the Ford EVTMs went from large, full color manuals down to the magazine-sized black-and-white series that lasted until the 90s (they're now books, still black and white, but no longer landscape-bound...now they're meant to be stuck in a binder).
    I've got a few of the engine/diagnostic manuals from the late 70s. Not only are they huge (16x24 or so?) but they're incredibly detailed.

These days, a good manual is hard to find.

Ooops, double post.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 06-27-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Oh, believe me, I know! I've got manuals for various vehicles ranging from the 1930s through mid-2000s.
    There's quite a range of difference, from the quasi-generic one-manual-fits-25-models Chiltons of the late 70s, to the early Jaguar manuals which are not only quite detailed, but bound in leather (so they don't look out of place in your fine library, I suppose).
    Even from 1978 to 1981, the Ford EVTMs went from large, full color manuals down to the magazine-sized black-and-white series that lasted until the 90s (they're now books, still black and white, but no longer landscape-bound...now they're meant to be stuck in a binder).
    I've got a few of the engine/diagnostic manuals from the late 70s. Not only are they huge (16x24 or so?) but they're incredibly detailed.

These days, a good manual is hard to find.
    The car has become an appendage, a domestic appliance... A long drop from an Industrial Icon. Oh! Henry... The passion for ingenuity in cars started the fall, and quest unique features has turned to homogenized dullness.

I have a Hayes manual for the 1979 to 1980 Mercury Capri. All the electrical circuits are 2 pages wide, divided by major car circuit. Charging, Lighting, Accessories, with all the connector layouts for each connector. Now, only China knows for sure.

We can grind on about these trends, but I'm glad I can take mine on the street and stand out, with only 'Curb Feelers' on! LOL! (Yes, I have a pair to install for summer weather.)

Hope you're back home, in familiar surroundings. I figured I'd remind you about those T-Bird door speaker options.

D'oh! I didn't even log in while I was home. Spent most of my time off on a small boat island hopping off the Maine coast, didn't even bring my cell phone.
    Just got back to the ship and remembered...we'll have to try again in September. I log in more when the weather is bad or I'm at sea with nothing better to do.

Double post.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 08-06-2016 at 04:14 AM.

I was just looking at "Old Car Brochures," and found this interior pic of a 1980 T-bird... door speaker!

Name:  1980 Ford Thunderbird-15.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  68.4 KB

Couldn't find any Granada or Cougar pics that had them though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

D'oh! I didn't even log in while I was home. Spent most of my time off on a small boat island hopping off the Maine coast, didn't even bring my cell phone.
    Just got back to the ship and remembered...we'll have to try again in September. I log in more when the weather is bad or I'm at sea with nothing better to do.
    What ship?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

What ship?
    I'm the Electronics guy on the ship Q4000 (was previously 2nd Engineer on here). It's been my home-away-from home (or is it the other way around?) for a long time.
    Ship info here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q4000

I'm the Electronics guy on the ship Q4000 (was previously 2nd Engineer on here). It's been my home-away-from home (or is it the other way around?) for a long time.
    Ship info here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q4000
    Wow, that's really interesting!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by dungdn93 View Post
    Granada made sure the door speakers?
    I couldn't find any proof of that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was just looking at "Old Car Brochures," and found this interior pic of a 1980 T-bird... door speaker!

Name:  1980 Ford Thunderbird-15.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  68.4 KB

Couldn't find any Granada or Cougar pics that had them though.
    Yeah, the Lincoln speakers tilted upward by about 30 degrees. Thanks for looking. Funny that Ford cut the holes in the F/Z doors, but never offered the speakers as an option. It does improve the mid-range at the front.

My memory of the ones I saw in 81-82 t-birds; they also had a plastic housing to aim the speaker slightly, and the grille screwed into it.
    Again, I need to actually look at my dealer stuff when I get ashore (we've heard that how many times so far??)

My memory of the ones I saw in 81-82 t-birds; they also had a plastic housing to aim the speaker slightly, and the grille screwed into it.
    Again, I need to actually look at my dealer stuff when I get ashore (we've heard that how many times so far??)
    Being a sailor, you must've seen the Pirates of the Caribbean flics. Here in Winnipeg, Canada, we have an annual 2 week event of our different Canadian cultures, this year it was 47 different ones. Cuba was one that we went to, besides Mexico, Philippines, and Ethiopia (they were the closest, since we don't have the car running yet).

Anyway, part of Cuba's display (Historical and Museum stuff) was their history with pirates. Quite a lot of it went on there for centuries.

http://www.folklorama.ca/festival

Funny that the Flics' Special Features never mentioned that.

Sometimes I learn a lot about history in the special features of movies that have them. Love post-Roman history, and ancient history.

Neat stuff!
    Actually, I'm also a history buff, although I lean toward history from the mid-1700s on (perhaps a "technological history buff"?).
    With the centennial of the Great War, I've been following my own ancestry...my great grandfather was Francis Malcolm MacDonnell, who joined the 226th "Men of the North" regiment in...Souris, Manitoba, about 150 miles West of you. My great grandmother, Henrietta Tygesor (also Thygessen and several other spellings--she tended to change it up, and also traveled using her sisters' names from time to time, or they used hers...rather hard to follow) was in France as a nurse with the Red Cross. She had lived in various parts of the US and Canada as her father worked on railways, for some time in parts of Alberta.
    At some point I intend to drive across Canada and visit some of the places in their history, but that's a subject for an entirely different thread!

Neat stuff!
    Actually, I'm also a history buff, although I lean toward history from the mid-1700s on (perhaps a "technological history buff"?).
    With the centennial of the Great War, I've been following my own ancestry...my great grandfather was Francis Malcolm MacDonnell, who joined the 226th "Men of the North" regiment in...Souris, Manitoba, about 150 miles West of you. My great grandmother, Henrietta Tygesor (also Thygessen and several other spellings--she tended to change it up, and also traveled using her sisters' names from time to time, or they used hers...rather hard to follow) was in France as a nurse with the Red Cross. She had lived in various parts of the US and Canada as her father worked on railways, for some time in parts of Alberta.
    At some point I intend to drive across Canada and visit some of the places in their history, but that's a subject for an entirely different thread!
    Way back in 1991, CBC - our public broadcaster, ran this new movie: Black Robe:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

It's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdD9YUeBDlI

Along with the trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfMsZMiSzY

To me, and I've done it 5 times, 4 by car, 1 by train, it's awesome and HUGE. PEI's Charlottetown was the original Capital. Nova Scotia has the first Pentagon, a British fort, from the late 1600s. Quebec City has maintained the OLD city, a-la-Francais, and the modern, The route across Atlantic Canada is the South Shore of the river St. Lawrence. But the most Eastern Crossing into Canada is Bangor, Maine. From there, you can visit PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and New Brunswick and Quebec AND the St. Pierre-Miquelon French Islands in a few days. Those French Islands are accessible via a Ferry, as well as the Bangor to Nova Scotia crossing.

Quebec and Eastern Ontario are each a few days and nights to cross, but in late September, the Maple trees are gorgeous, colours you might find in Vermont or Maine.

Northern and Western Ontario are cut through ancient mountain ranges, so you sort of feel like you're in a roller coaster tunnel, with old pine and spruce trees decorating the highways.

Once you get into Manitoba, the best highway is the Yellowhead (16) oceans of corn, wheat, blue canola blooms, great roadside steak houses and lots of Federal Speed traps. National Highway #1 runs at the southern edge of the country. In Saskatchewan, near the Manitoba Border, close to Estevan, SK, there's a popular truck stop, (it was an ESSO) where you get fed, and fed, and fed. And their pies are to die for.

But that southern route has a major pitfall, a 60 mile desert, known for its sand storms. Up to 100 MPH coming from the west. Your windshield comes out sandblasted. Regina is the capital, and fairly green, but Saskatoon is really green and lush.

Alberta, is best seen coming in from the south, via Drumheller - dinosaur country. And up to Calgary, and then back down to Pincher Creek into the Rockies. Once you're in that route, you'll get to Osoyoos. and see it from over 6,000 feet up, for a LONG time, thanks to the switchbacks for the truckers. Don't do it, like I did twice, in the winter. It's like being in a bobsled run, at 10 MPH. Truckers run snow chains on their axles, both axles!. If you cross the Rockies via Calgary, there's two highways, the Coquihalla takes you south - 4 lane special. The other goes north in cattle and gold rush country. But it can take you south too, on the old 2-lane highway also all the way south, through old mountainside tunnels, and past "Hell's Kitchen" - it's a one-car aerial ferry ride into more old forgotten towns and villages. Scary if you look down.

Vancouver Island is magic. You come in on the ferry at Oak Harbour, watch the otters and seals mix it up for a while, and see our very own, and only 3 palm trees in the whole country. Then take a trip up through the Cathedral Forest on your way to Tofino. Beautiful highway all the way up. You can divide the trip (Its a couple days and nights) in Kelowna, taste the wineries on a tour) grab some fresh peaches and nectarines for the rest of the trip. The Cathedral Forest has some old cedars that you drive through. At one stop, I laid down on the forest floor to see if I could see the sky. It wasn't a windy day, so I could only see the sky in a couple bare spots. Those trees are TALL.

If you're a climber, in Nova Scotia, on the west side, near Windsor, NS, stop at Look Out Point, and then find a small side road to get closer the bottom of the cliffs. The cliffs are loaded with Amethyst, big chunks. Pay-for-the-trip type big.

Leaving Kenora, Ontario going toward Manitoba, there's an old 1920's dumpsite of old cars and trucks. It's protected land, but you can take pictures. It's on the North East face of the riverside, on the only major bridge leaving Kenora. Almost looks like Al Capone dumped his old whisky running trucks there. They could drive in from International Falls, pick up a load in Manitoba, and sneak back on boats via Lake of The Woods.
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 08-17-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast