Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Finally looked up the speakers. Premium sound option package 913 for Thunderbird and Cougar XR-7, 1980-1982, 2 door cars had "additional door speakers" and Premium Sound Amplifier. Not available with AM only or AM/FM/CB radios. 4 door cars (pretty much non-XR-7 Cougars) got the amplifier but no extra door speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Finally looked up the speakers. Premium sound option package 913 for Thunderbird and Cougar XR-7, 1980-1982, 2 door cars had "additional door speakers" and Premium Sound Amplifier. Not available with AM only or AM/FM/CB radios. 4 door cars (pretty much non-XR-7 Cougars) got the amplifier but no extra door speakers.
    The Fairmont Zephyr doors even have drilling dimples for the Lincoln speaker mounts. Oh well, I'm sure these humble foxes have more mysteries. Thanks for looking that up.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Interesting! What's funny is, i cut my doors for speakers, but i didn't like where the original holes were, so now i have an "8" cut in my doors.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Interesting! What's funny is, i cut my doors for speakers, but i didn't like where the original holes were, so now i have an "8" cut in my doors.
    I once had a 1966 Mustang Coupe that had speakers at the back end of the doors. Don't know if that was stock or not. Can't do that in our F/Z doors, not that I would, but I could see it in a 2-door model. But with the angled Lincoln mount, I get good mid-range sound. The small dash speakers handle some mid-range, but mostly tweeter functions, and big 3-way 6 X 9 premiums do just to some nice bass, in the way-back.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12