Close

Default stereo swap fiasco

Hello:

I tried to switch out the stereo in the 86 with one I found recently. Tested it and the tape player works. That's the whole reason to swap. It appears the radio I purchased is either an 84 or early 85 premium sound unit. The brackets on the radio currently in the car allow screws to fasten from above the radio in the dash "lip" just above the panel for the radio. The radio I bought has standard looking side brackets. So it wouldn't have fit anyway. Unless I could swap brackets. But the screws weren't any size I have in the tool box. 7MM to big and 6MM too small. Guess its an industry special item. Nevertheless, I couldn't remove the radio from the car. Read all the postings. Not happening. Just had the AC recharged so I am NOT removing the dash. The shop manual must be wrong as no radio bracket loosens up by removing screw after screw. Even the large bolt on the drivers side seemed to do not a thing. All back together now. But no tape player.

Any ideas on what I bought? The window contains green digits where the radio in the car, the original one, has red digits. Didn't compare part numbers as I couldn't remove the radio but would have been nice to install it. Same wiring on the back, too.

I don't suppose the front of the dash comes apart? Didn't seem like it.

85/86 radios come out by removing the two screws pointing upward in the dash lip that you described, then by removing the one nut on the center post/bracket on the back of the radio. After that, you will need to remove the console (not totally necessary but sure makes life easier) as well as the HVAC diverter duct. Then, hold your jaw just right, wiggle, turn, cuss, wiggle, turn, cuss and push the radio out the back over on the passenger side of the tunnel.

What you bought...can't answer without pictures but you should be able to swap the brackets. I've done this more than a few times. Many will tell you it is not possible but I assure you it is.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I looked up the part number on the radio. E5VF-18B865-BA. Its a premium radio just like the GTs but came out of an 85 or 86 Lincoln. Works fine but doesn't belong in the GT. So I'll keep looking. I didn't get the part number on the radio still in my car and should have but then again, maybe this radio will end up in there sometime. It did seem like the passenger side was the best bet. But to no avail. May try again. When my back and neck and arms aren't sore or hurting. But the brackets need swapped first.

Oh boy i just did this to my stock stereo was going to remove it and send it out to get it rebuilt. During the painstaking removal i damaged it even further what a pain in the backside it was to remove it from the back like the manual says. if you do remove it and really don't care of losing the stock radio, put in an aftermarket it slides in via the front. wiring up the new radio was a task too but i got through it and have a decent sounding stereo and hands free device. sorry i'm not much help. good luck
    GLADLY burning the fuel your Prius is saving!!