Close

Thumbs up '83 Capri air dams

Trying to get ideas for the front of an '83 Capri, for a buddy. Interested in pics of your air dams, cost and where you got it. Most online sources just aren't catching his eye. Thanx in advance
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

In general your buddy will be limited on options for the Capri due to the unique shape of the front bumper cover.

The 79-82 Mustang designed air dams will fit the 79-86 Capri, but the 83-93 Mustang air dams are shaped different due to the changes in the front bumper covers. With modifications and customizing you can make the later air dams work, but they will not be a bolt on.

I am sure there are a couple of other options, but to the best of my knowledge the best options are:

79-82 PC, Cobra, GT & 84-86 RS OEM lower air dam. Requires cutting the lower half of upper cover off and additional parts

Name:  IMG_2171.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  160.3 KB

Xenon 79-82 Mustang & 79-86 Capri Urethane lower air dam. Attaches to lower section of OEM front cover

Name:  Capri Xenon.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  89.5 KB

Kamei 79-82 Mustang & 79-86 Capri ABS lower air dam. Attaches to lower section of OEM front cover

Name:  1984Caprifrontbumper003.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  84.5 KB

Maier Racing 79-82 Mustang & 79-86 Capri Fiberglass lower air dam. Attaches to lower section of OEM front cover.

(Sorry can't seem to find a picture of that one. Same basic shape as the 79 PC, 82 GT lower air dam just fiberglass)

There are probably a few others over the years, but that is all I can think of right now. The Saleen and Saleen style lower air dams can be made to work, but again due to the 83-93 Mustang covers being more curved and less angular than the 79-86 Capri front covers you will have issues with the air dam mating up properly.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanx Trey. I did some searching on Amazon and found a Xenon 3129 83-85 Ford Mustang, Mercury Capri Urethane Front Bumper Air Dam for a little over $250 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/Xenon-3129-Mu...ype=automotive

So Robs front air dam is more towards the PC style?

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Robs Air dam is an OEM RS lower IIRC. Ford used the same lower air dam first on the 79 Pace Car, then the 1980/81 Cobra, then the 1982 Mustang GT, and finally used on the 1984-1986 Mercury Capri RS.

The use of the OEM lower air dam requires a unique upper cover as the lower section of the bumper cover is removed. The OEM upper covers have tabs that secure the upper cover to the front bumper support. The lower air dam can be used by removing the lower section of a NON RS bumper cover. I would recommend fabricating some thin metal brackets that mimic the OEM urethane tabs to help secure the upper cover and improve the fit and finish of both the upper and lower.

Any of the aftermarket lower air dams are designed to mount either via double sided tape and or mechanical fasteners to the lower section of the stock front bumper cover.

Hope that helps.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Many thanx.

Still want input from others with air dams on Capris......
    conmech - aka Marshall

Blog Entries

Honestly, that's it. Capris were low number, short production cars. Not aware of anything else not custom built for them. I did a lot of poking around looking for front air dams for mine, and i looked for both mustang and Capri stuff. Nada.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

carid has the xenon (correct part no, wrong picture) cheaper then the Amazon link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162057666683...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mike

There really isn't many others. Once the 87's came out the ones that fit the older cars stopped being produced. It's hard to find something that fits a 83 Mustang correctly as the curves are different on the 87-93 cars.

Here is the one for the ASC McLaren's

Ford released one of these without the foglight openings as well. Very hard to find.

If you are lucky, there are a few that were made back in the 80's by company's that no longer exist. Dech and Dobi made some but they were very thin fiberglass and most have not survived in to this century. JC Whitney was a big purveyor of airdam that had an ribbed ABS portion that screwed to the body and had a 4" to 6" rubber skirt around the bottom.

Autocraft had a similar one but a little better looking -- it also had a small rubber skirt that attached to the bottom.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

How about a Xenon with Marchals mounted inboard?

Name:  Pictures209.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  224.7 KB
    conmech - aka Marshall

The Xenon is definitely an option, as I mentioned above.

The Xenon has similar shape and look as the OEM lower air dam although the openings are not as long and rectangular as the OEM unit. You should be able to mount the fog lights in the middle just as they are with the OEM air dam. The stock fog lamp bracket might be able to work too with just some mild modifications to either the bracket and/or the air dam.

Personally I like the Xenon unit and it looks good IMHO. It also works well for someone that only has a stock NON RS front cover and doesn't want to cut it up to make it work with the OEM lower air dam.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanx Trey. Ran this by my buddy. Might be a strong, inexpensive option.
    conmech - aka Marshall

X2 on the xenon. Your buddy will have some options. If the fogs are mounted inboard the original holes could be used for brake cooling inlets-either functional or non.

Thanx
    conmech - aka Marshall

Default soon to be last call for this dam

Seen an 85 Capri V8 with an intact air dam at the 'yard yesterday.
    Dunno what an oe dam is like.
    Did not see external fasteners. It fit under the ft beltline.
    Was raining, so could not inspect underneath.
    The front part was flexible like urethane and the side wheel extensions looked to be fiberglass.
    Nice piece i hope someone gets before its too late.

Love the car in post #3!

Who owns that bad boy!

Air dam on my car came factory and I only made minor changes to it to fix vent sagging plus I added custom ram air through the intake via the front air dam vents.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ir-in-progress

Hope this gives you some info,

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I have an '83 Mercury Capri that is just about ready to get its makeover. I bought an air dam off LMR (83-86) but it doesn't seem quite right.

This thread tells me that I should have bought a 79-82? Is that true?

Also, it appears I will need to cut the lower part of my bumper cover to make an air dam work. My best guess is to cut the bumper under the lip shown below (the yellow line I drew). Would I just trim this off, then tape / rivet / screw the air dam on the lip of my OEM cover?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I figured it had a lot of the info I needed already.

The RS bumper cover with the air dam is different than the standard bumper cover that you have. It looks like it is cut down, but there are tabs on it that connect it to the bumper on the bottom. If you cut your cover off where you have the lines, you will have to fabricate some tabs--or trim your bumper cover farther down to make the tabs. You would then have to bend them under the bumper. That is, if you go with the stock unit. I believe the Xenon ones use double sided tape to stick to the stock bumper cover and you may end up riveting them, as well. The Xenon ones are a one-piece wrap-around? style that include the side pieces, so that might be an easier install for you. They look different because they don't have the seam where the side pieces connect.

The 83-86 (Mustang) air dam will not fit your bumper cover. You would have to get the 79-82 Mustang air dam, or 85/86 Capri air dam. I believe the side moldings will not match, but I am not an expert on that.

I have a complete kit for sale on the classifieds that I spent a LONG time and a bunch of money collecting all the parts. I don't know if I can plug one of my ads here, but I can also provide some alternative info on sourcing the parts:

The air dams are being reproduced. National Parts Depot has the 79 Pace car front lower air dam available now. I don't know if the side pieces are available, though. I called NPD and they don't have them.

You will also need a fog light bracket for a 79-82 Mustang or 85-86 Capri. They are a little difficult to find, but they are out there. The other years for Mustangs are pretty common, but they won't fit your car. There is one on eBay right now $$$

As far as I know, the bumper covers are not being reproduced. Good used ones are very hard to find. I got mine from a yard in Canada!

Some of the information above is correct and some is not.

The 79-83 Capri front covers are all the same in regards to the lower section. There was no lower air dam for those years OEM. The 84-86 Capri RS use the same lower airdam, but the 84 cover is unique and the 85/86 cover is unique in that the lower full section is gone and you have the bracket tabs that connect to the bumper support to tie the upper and lower sections together.

All 84-86 Capri RS models use the same lower air dam which is the same as the 79 Pace Car, 80/81 Cobra, and the 82 GT.

The lower section of the 79-83 Capri and the 84-86 non RS Capri is the same shape as the 79-82 Mustang (non Pace Car, 80/81 Cobra, & 82 GT) the fog light bracket for the 84-86 RS is the same as the Pace Car, 80/81 Cobra, and 82 GT.

If you purchase and aftermarket lower air dam such as a Xenon, Kamei, etc. you need the 79-82 Mustang or 79-86 Capri or 84-86 (without OEM lower air dam).

As for the installation. I would not recommend cutting your front cover below the molding strip. Most of the aftermarket lower air dams are designed to use either double sided tape and/or mechanical fasteners to attach the air dam to the upper cover just below the molding strip on the actual bumper cover. Most will not require you to cut the bumper cover at all, some might require a slight trim in a few areas, but most will fit over your existing cover with no modifications. As you have seen the 83-86 Mustang style lower air dam has a completely different shape than the Capri. The Capri and the 79-82 Mustang have a flat front with sharp angles back at the head lights. The 83-86 Mustang has more of an arched or gentle curve to the bumper cover shape. Yes, you can make it fit, but it will require modifications and extra time that are not required with the correct model air dam.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Hey there. I was wondering if you wanted to sell your KAMEI air dam or you know where I can get one from?
    Thanks Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by roughidle View Post
    Hey there. I was wondering if you wanted to sell your KAMEI air dam or you know where I can get one from?
    Thanks Rob.
    If your post was directed towards me, I sold my Kamei air dam a couple of years ago to another member here. Sorry!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller