Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default So much for buying one big ticket item a month...

My new job I started last October turned out to be a bust. Fortunately my old job liked me and took me back. But I didn't spend much money until I felt secure with the whole job situation. I have made a decent bit of progress in the last three months, I've got to get better about posting stuff....
    Anyway, Summit had a 10% sale if you spent a bunch of money, so that is what I did. I bought most of the parts for the AC system. I went with Vintage Air Gen II system. I have the evaporator mounted under the dash, which was a pain in the butt, and the lines measured out and cut. I've got Monday off and I plan on going to a AC shop and have them crimp the AC lines properly. After using the crappy tool to flare my brake lines and have them all leak I think it would be prudent to have a professional take care of the AC lines. Since the shifter is set farther back than a normal Mustang, that means that the center console also has to be set back. Which means that the console no longer butts up to the dash. The AC controls that Vintage Air offer didn't really fit the location of the stock HVAC controls, but one of their items fits OK right underneath the radio, and will fill the gap between the console and the dash. I may try and do something different in the future, but that is the plan for right now. So one question I do have, when I mount the condenser in front of the radiator should it be flush with the radiator? Or should I have a gap like there is on my truck?
    Name:  IMG_2144.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  110.7 KB

The other big ticket item I bought is a Dakota Digital dash. After the 10% off it came out to $700. Which is pretty hefty, but not terrible when you add up the cost of buying individual gauges. Plus this unit will play nicely with OBDII, which I will have since I have the Ford Racing control pack to run the engine. The Fairmont dash seems to be a little different than a Mustang because I'll have to do a bit of trimming to make it fit. I don't think it'll be a big deal. Name:  IMG_2143.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  121.4 KB

The wiring process has begun. Its not too hard with the Ron Francis harness. Everything is labeled and its pretty straightforward so far. I have a few questions, but I'm going to think about them for a few days and see if I can't figure out the solution. The biggest problem is trying to make all the different systems play nice with each other. I have the Dakota Digital dash with its own control module, the Ford Racing control pack, and of course the chassis harness. The dash gives you their own set of sensors for oil pressure, water temp, and a speed sensor for the transmission. But, I'm assuming the engine computer needs to know the water temperature and maybe the speed. So I think I'll drill, tap, and JB weld the the second water temp sensor into a hose outlet. I don't think that the engine computer really needs to know the oil pressure. With the look of the oil filter housing I probably could drill and tap and JB weld a spot for the second oil pressure sensor, but I don't think that will be necessary. I think, not 100% sure about that. As far as the speed sensor is concerned, I haven't really looked at that just yet.

Speaking of the engine, the engine is all wired up and the engine computer is mounted inside the passenger fender. Once I get everything all hooked up and I feel confident I'll mount the fuse panel and go back and trim all the wires inside the car. I wasn't planning on it, but I'll have to relocate the battery to the trunk. There just isn't enough space in the engine compartment to make it work. Name:  IMG_2153.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  152.9 KB

I had a 78 ugly box Fairmont and drove it for 12 years with a 460 c6 and 8.8 3:27 posi.loved that car

I had a 78 ugly box Fairmont and drove it for 12 years with a 460 c6 and 8.8 3:27 posi.loved that car

Any updates to this thread?
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    Any updates to this thread?
    If you're thinking of bumping a long-dead thread for an update, do yourself a favor and first click on the username of the person who started the thread, then click "View Profile". That will show you when they were last active on the site; in the case of "wrath of kyle", the answer is 5/23/2019, so I'd say it's not likely you're going to get a response.

Ask and ye shall receive. Y'all thought I gave up, and I did for awhile. I had other projects and things that took priority. But, we are now painted Boss Blue, I put a scorpion on each quarter panel because I am weird, and the hood scoop/bulge has a big scorpion on it. I'll get a picture of that later. Unfortunately I had to paint the car outside and there is some dust and other minor imperfections in the paint job. Its good enough, not show car quality tho. But this car will be my daily driver so I'm not too concerned.

The bigger news is the car is at my friends house, and he is a legit technician and will help me finish the car up. The wiring harness needs to be finished, it needs exhaust, and the interior needs to be put back together. Some of that will be easy, some will require some fabrication. Hopefully I'll be able to make some consistent progress going forward. Name:  fairmont.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  343.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    If you're thinking of bumping a long-dead thread for an update, do yourself a favor and first click on the username of the person who started the thread, then click "View Profile". That will show you when they were last active on the site; in the case of "wrath of kyle", the answer is 5/23/2019, so I'd say it's not likely you're going to get a response.
    Psh

Quote Originally Posted by wrath of kyle View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive. Y'all thought I gave up, and I did for awhile. I had other projects and things that took priority. But, we are now painted Boss Blue, I put a scorpion on each quarter panel because I am weird, and the hood scoop/bulge has a big scorpion on it. I'll get a picture of that later. Unfortunately I had to paint the car outside and there is some dust and other minor imperfections in the paint job. Its good enough, not show car quality tho. But this car will be my daily driver so I'm not too concerned.

The bigger news is the car is at my friends house, and he is a legit technician and will help me finish the car up. The wiring harness needs to be finished, it needs exhaust, and the interior needs to be put back together. Some of that will be easy, some will require some fabrication. Hopefully I'll be able to make some consistent progress going forward. Name:  fairmont.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  343.9 KB
    Thanks for the update! Happy to see you still have it and are making progress. I like the blue, and the fact that you did it yourself is awesome. Keep the photos coming, we need all the help we can resurrecting this dead forum.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Thanks for the update, car looks great. Thanks for posting.
    Best thread revival ever
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Looking great!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    Psh
    Ya got me!

Definitely good to see an update, and I look forward to more!

Adding AC is something I've always wanted to do. I'm interested to see how you end up liking that system once its all up and running (if it isnt already).
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Thanks for the Update friend. still looking forward to more.

So, progress has been made, and progress has been undone. As with any project you run into setbacks. One was the weather we had in NorCal this winter. Lots of rain. LOTS. Thankfully not much flooding, and it is a welcome change from years of drought. But, since the car is outside it made working on it difficult. Also a tree fell and the tip of the tree whacked the passenger fender. it has a wrinkle in it now. I went and got another one, but I'll have to paint it. All things considered, if the car was to get hit that fender was the best spot. It had a few spots where I was unable to get it perfectly straight.

Anyway, I had an AJE K member on the car, but it moved the wheels forward so much that they almost touched the fender. Plus the engine was sitting quite high and the intake manifold was a few inches above the fenders. I bought a team Z K member and control arms to replace the AJE, and the team Z restores factory settings for the most part. So now the wheels are centered in the arches, and the motor is much lower. Its gonna be very close as to if the stock hood will fit with no scoop, which is what I prefer. However, as we were putting the suspension back on the steering rack now hits the oil pan. We swapped oil pans to a Crown Vic unit versus the stock Mustang pan because the slope to the sump is much more abrupt in the Crown Vic pan and allowed the motor to sit further down. We also fabricated some motor mounts. The engine is going to stay put where it is (hopefully). So I need to figure out a solution to the steering rack. I need to lower it by more than the offset bushings will allow. I don't like lowered cars so I'm not too worried about goofy angles with the steering rack and bumpsteer, but if people with knowledge and experience think I should be more concerned about that let me know. I'm going by the fact that the control arms and tie rods will be close to level with the ground and not angled up or down too much.

So, does anyone know of a dropped steering rack for these cars? We are thinking about scabbing on some brackets to the existing rack mounting points to lower the rack. But I am open to ideas. We did finish up the wiring to the rear lights. I did smile when we hooked power up to the fuse panel and operated the brake and turn signal lights. Name:  rack mounts2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  213.6 KB

I used 1/4" K member spacers and offset rack bushings and a bump steer kit - all from Team Z. Lowers the rack quite a bit. They sell 1/8" K member spacers too if 1/4" isn't enough
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I've got the 1/2" K member spacers from Maximum Motorsports to space the K member down. And we made our own motor mounts by using a plate of steel and welding nuts on the back and using a generic motor mount. As you can see in the picture I've got the motor in the lowest spot. I'm not even sure if the motor is supposed to be in that hole, its probably supposed to sit in the slots. However the engine seems to fit well, headers will need a bit of persuasion with a hammer to clear.

But the rack hits the oil pan. I think we'll have to fabricate some drop mounts as I don't think that offset bushings will drop it enough. I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem. Maybe there is a different rack that I could get? I've searched a bit but found nothing. The double hump pan for the 302 would be ideal, but such a pan does not exist for the 4.6. Plus there is very little clearance in the pan as the oil pickup tube needs to occupy the same space. It won't be too difficult to fab something up, just a bit of time.

Offset rack bushings should lower the rack almost an inch. Yes, the motor mounts are meant to go into one of those slots.
    I have a Markviii oil pan and have at least 2" between the rack and oil pan.
    i was going to ask you what intake manifold you are using, but i see it is a 3v.
    My car is a 4v and everything fits under the stock hood and plenty of room under the oil pan.
    Does anyone make a lower profile intake for the 3v?

Between the 3v and living in California, not sure how much help i can give?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567