Close

Default Anyone Ever Make Rear Speaker Grills For Mustang Convertible Rear Quarter Panels?

Like all 83-86 Mustang convertibles, my rear speakers are located behind the carpet in the lower section of the rear quarter panels. This surface is a slightly curved area. Has anyone cut out the carpet and fashioned a decent looking grill for them? If anyone has done this, do you have pictures. I'm getting tired of the muffled sound coming out of them.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I haven't, but I've been wondering about options for this too...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Everyone with a convertible has lived with the carpet?
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

If you want speakers with grilles, best suggestion would be to use the quarter trims from an aero-
    nose Mustang. Otherwise, what I did on my '85 Vert was to carefully scrape most of the backing
    off the carpet in the area of the speaker opening. I also fitted a larger speaker, but that was a bit
    more work. Things are a bit tight in there...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    If you want speakers with grilles, best suggestion would be to use the quarter trims from an aero-
    nose Mustang. Otherwise, what I did on my '85 Vert was to carefully scrape most of the backing
    off the carpet in the area of the speaker opening. I also fitted a larger speaker, but that was a bit
    more work. Things are a bit tight in there...
    Will the grills from an 87-93 vert work on my existing panel, or are you talking about replacing the whole quarter panel?
    Last edited by smitty54; 06-04-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I have a pair of 6x9's laying around from my old stereo build I would LOVE to fit in the rear. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one though.

I did this in an 84 I had years ago and did it to my current 86.
    I removed the panels,peeled the carpet, cut out the plastic under the carpet,fit foam around the metal speaker mount,and calked it. Now I can install the speaker from the front. I used some Kicker speakers I had unused.
    After install ,glue the rug back in place. Its much better.

I drove my '85 GT Convertible for nearly 4 years with just dash speakers. I never even knew the car had rear speakers until I sold it to a buddy and about 6 months later I helped him replace a 1/4 window motor. Upon pulling the inner panel out to get to the motor, I was like "WTF is that...a speaker?!" Huh...who knew!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

My 88 LX 5.0 vert has no grill but does have speakers in the rear.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

My 89 LX sport ragtop had rear speakers but no grills also. 93 ragtops and sometime before (but after 89) had actual grills up in the panel.