Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default intake manifold sealant

purchased the edelbrock performer 289 intake manifold today, what is the best rtv sealant to use on this, thanks

FEP Senior Member

I never use RTV in place of the front and back cork or rubber gaskets. The only place to use it is in the four corners where they meet the side gaskets. Just a dab in the corners on top and bottom to seal the two pieces together. They will also be others that say they never use the front and rear gaskets, and only use RTV instead. If you do use the cork or rubber end seals, never use RTV on top of or bottom of the gaskets. It will only make them squeeze out when your torque it down. Always put then in dry with only the corners sealed with RTV. The best kind to use is the black or gray oem type. Blue, orange or red high temp I never use for this purpose.

If you use the production Explorer style expanded graphite gaskets, those require no sealers, other
    than the aforementioned dabs of silicone at the corners. The Explorer style end seals are -very- nice.

What you do -not- want do use are the soft Felpro 1250 'Print-O-Seal' gaskets. They are, shall we
    say,... temperamental.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Ultra Blue.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Ultra Blue.
    most people i talked to say dont use the gaskets on the ends, just a good bead of rtv works best?

Most people have not experienced the Explorer style end seals. But a bead of RTV does work too,
    IF you prep the surfaces properly. I've seen as many silicone bead end seals leak as I've seen the
    gaskets leak, mostly because people tend to think silicone is an acceptable substitute for proper
    surface prep.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Personal preferences.
    I use Felpro gaskets and Permatex sealants. High tack sealant on both sides of the end gaskets and dab of Ultra Black RTV in the corners. Always worked for me. Proper surface prep and torque sequence is critical.
    Last edited by 82gt50; 05-29-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 82gt50 View Post
    Personal preferences.
    I use Felpro gaskets and Permatex sealants. High tack sealant on both sides of the end gaskets and dab of Ultra Black RTV in the corners. Always worked for me. Proper surface prep and torque sequence is critical.
    When i worked at the Ford engine plant (1970's), that is how we did FT engines. 330, 360, 361, 390, 391.
    Brushed on high tack which was yellow like weatherstrip adh
    The cork had one red side, prob like red high tack.
    Dabs of RTV.
    My job was mainly to prep and secondly install intake gaskets when relieving co-workers for break.
    Line did not stop for breaks, only lunch and shift change.
    The intake was dropped on a few minutes in next work station after gasket install. RTV was still wet.
    Side gaskets were installed dry.
    Intake bolt threads were dipped in brown stuff similar if not the same as Indian Head Shellac.

If no cork is used, would not the manifold sit 1/4" or so lower?
    All RTV would be a bitch if the manifold had to come back off.

Soak Scotchbrite pad for old end gasket surface to remove any trace of old material and junk.
    Clean block surface with a rag soaked in brake cleaner or similar oil remover.
    Side gaskets install dry or per instructions with gasket.

Later on in the 2000's, was involved in new GM Gen III and IV V8 and V6 shipments to the assy plants.
    4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2. Car, truck, marine, industrial.
    For sure, the 4.3 V6, iron intake, had gray RTV only, no end cork gasketing.
    The V8 used composite intakes with o-ring type sealing already installed before assy.
    Times and manufacture procedures have changed.
    They used to hot test production engines, but only leak test them now.

Quote Originally Posted by 82g View Post
    most people i talked to say dont use the gaskets on the ends, just a good bead of rtv works best?
    I wasn't going to elaborate, because some peoples' dander gets up with the end seals subject, lol

What's always worked great for me, without a hitch of any kind, is a thin layer around both sides of gaskets' cooling system ports, ~1/4" beads front and rear on the block rails, lay the side gaskets in position on the heads with their tips into those ~1/4" bead beds front and rear, add a dab more to each bottom corner topside of the gaskets if necessary. NEVER without good clean prep of all surfaces as others have mentioned. A good practice also, if all the intake fasteners are bolts, is to get or make at least two, but preferably four studs for when setting the intake down, so that it goes down nice and and even and straight.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-29-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I used Permatex Ultra Copper RTV for my end seals. Laid a good size bead, laid a thin layer around the coolant ports, sat the manifold on, installed the bolts finger tight until the RTV started to squeeze out, let it set up for about an hour or two, then torqued the manifold bolts to spec. It's been working great for me for over a year now. Surface prep will make or break you. Get it really clean.

Give the sealant a good 12-24 hours to cure before refilling the coolant.
    Last edited by Mgino757; 05-29-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Quote Originally Posted by Mgino757 View Post
    I used Permatex Ultra Copper RTV for my end seals. Laid a good size bead, laid a thin layer around the coolant ports, sat the manifold on, installed the bolts finger tight until the RTV started to squeeze out, let it set up for about an hour or two, then torqued the manifold bolts to spec. It's been working great for me for over a year now. Surface prep will make or break you. Get it really clean.

Give the sealant a good 12-24 hours to cure before refilling the coolant.
    so i got the felpro intake gasket kit with the cork end seals, so what is the best method for these end seals, thanks

so i got the felpro intake gasket kit with the cork end seals, so what is the best method for these end seals, thanks
    can anyone recommend a intake manifold gasket kit?, other than explorer? felpro 1250 any good? thanks

I didn't use the provided end seals at all.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

FEP Senior Member

The paper work for the intake tells you what gasket set to use. Different gasket sets work with different intakes. They have different size ports and different locations on special ones. You have to use what is recommended by the maker or you risk having vacuum or coolant leaks. Look at the instruction sheet.

In case you haven't got paperwork to tell you what to do, use what you have (if you have some Fel-Pro's on hand now, use them), and if you want to use the cork ends, give them a fighting chance at staying put (the problem people have run into, them squeezing out of position, and/or variation of them sealing in oil vapor if there's been block/head machining, which is the blanket reason to use beads of silicon that address both of those potential issues) with a thin layer of RTV. Ditto at both sides of the gasket coolant ports. Otherwise, beads front and rear and corner dabs, or take your pick of the above methods mentioned.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-29-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

can anyone recommend a intake manifold gasket kit?, other than explorer? felpro 1250 any good? thanks
    Not sure why you wouldn't want the Explorer gaskets. Expanded graphite gaskets really are the best thing
    to use with an aluminum intake against iron heads. (Why Ford made them that way.) The differential
    thermal expansion rates cause coolant seepage on most of the other styles available. And no, the FelPro
    1250 is the absolute worst choice for an engine that's not being regularly torn down and refreshed.

If the set you got came with cork end seals, I'm gonna guess you didn't get the best gaskets. Not that I
    have any problem with cork end seals, but these days, typically that's what comes in the cheaper rebuilder-
    grade gasket sets (well those, and the aforementioned 1250s...)
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Not sure why you wouldn't want the Explorer gaskets. Expanded graphite gaskets really are the best thing
    to use with an aluminum intake against iron heads. (Why Ford made them that way.) The differential
    thermal expansion rates cause coolant seepage on most of the other styles available. And no, the FelPro
    1250 is the absolute worst choice for an engine that's not being regularly torn down and refreshed.

If the set you got came with cork end seals, I'm gonna guess you didn't get the best gaskets. Not that I
    have any problem with cork end seals, but these days, typically that's what comes in the cheaper rebuilder-
    grade gasket sets (well those, and the aforementioned 1250s...)
    do u have a part # for explorer gaskets?, thanks

do u have a part # for explorer gaskets?, thanks
    fel pro MS95952
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    fel pro MS95952
    will these work on a edelbrock 21213 manifold, this car is carbureted, felpro list these gaskets as efi?, dont know if that makes a difference or not. thanks

Any fresh quality brand black, gray, white RTV gasket maker made for auto uses will work.
    Tube in caulk gun or small squeeze tube.
    For sure use the screw on tip and cut to desired bead size.

Aluminum intakes are lighter than iron but still weigh 15-20#
    Dropping it slowly freehand dead straight onto fresh gaskets can be tough, especially in car.
    Few can hold the weight of a bowing ball at arm length for very long.

I say this because i remember, when installing them on the line, felt some air being displaced at the final 'clump'.

We used an air op crane, since they were iron intakes.
    On the line, the engines wiggled a little due to conveyor fixture. Intakes were 'dropped' the last inch or so.
    The regular workers did it every day for hours. One engine a minute.
    There were misses every now and then that had to be routed to the repair bay. Not good.
    Pinched side gasket or more likely the end cork moved out of place.

Hovering 15-20# of metal can be hard on the back and hurry things.
    Especially engine in car install.
    That air pushing out can slightly displace any gasket that is not locked or glued good.
    An arm fatique juggle in the last inch or so after committing to drop.
    Especially when dressing gaskets with RTV.

Having the glues firm up a little should help with success in proper sealing.
    A push test with finger would confirm that.
    A long silicone bead needs to tack or firm up a little to support weight without squishing out to thinness, globs, or gaps.
    Using just enough and waiting time is a little tricky.

will these work on a edelbrock 21213 manifold, this car is carbureted, felpro list these gaskets as efi?, dont know if that makes a difference or not. thanks
    The difference is that it will likely come with gaskets for the upper EFI intake and the throttle body. You don't need those extra gaskets, but you will have to pay for them anyway...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Yes, they will. You won't need the upper intake gasket but the lowers and rubber seals will be fine.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post

Aluminum intakes are lighter than iron but still weigh 15-20#
    Dropping it slowly freehand dead straight onto fresh gaskets can be tough, especially in car.
    Few can hold the weight of a bowing ball at arm length for very long.
    For that very reason I made a set of alignment studs which really help.

I'm a fan of alignment studs so I made a set for the T5 as well. Much easier to slide into place using the studs.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    was thinking about that, what did you use?,thanks

I went to Lowes and bought four 5/16x18 bolts that were 4 inches long, cut the heads off and rounded the ends a bit with a grinder. I didn't bother to cut screwdriver slots in them as I only put them in finger tight and they are easy to back out after the intake is in place.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast