Close

Default Swaybar upgrades for Fairmont?

Did a thread search but didn't really find what I'm curious about? I have a 95 front Swaybar and want to use this on my Fairmont. I kinda held it close and it looks like it might be to wide? Do I need to find a fox front? Or is the sn95 unit able to be put in there?

I used a 93 GT sway bar for my 83 LTD wagon
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

I wouldn't be surprised of SN95 sway bars were wider (meaning too wide), since they had wider track and longer control arms.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I've got front and rears from a '91 GT on my boxtop.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Thanks all. I'm sure this 95 bar is to wide it has bends really close to the bushing. Looks like I need a fox bar.

I used a '95 GT front bar in my '91. The overall width difference didn't cause any issues but the mounts are completely different. The SN95 bushings are mounted directly under the frame rails vs. on tabs that protrude into the engine bay on the Fox. To give me a solid place to attach the SN95 mounts, I welded some nuts to pieces of 1/8" steel plate, drilled holes in the bottom of the frame rails for the nuts to recess into, then welded the plates to the frame. I also cut off the stock mounts which helps clean up the engine bay a bit.
    Currently Foxless

Forgot all about the added mounts on the fox.

SN95 front swaybars are 2.15" wider than a Fox swaybar. If you care about endlink breakage and tire clearance, this is a big issue.

If you install a larger diameter front swaybar on a Fairmont, the first issue you will have is the strength of the swaybar brackets on the Fairmont. They are bolted on and not designed for the stress of a 1.30" solid front swaybar. Your best bet is to weld up all of the seams in them.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Jack, thank you. You may not know, but you have helped me more than once. Thanks you.