Close

Default Customer service isn't always bad.

I'm sure we've all read plenty of posts about poor customer service, especially at some of the national chains.

Today I got what I consider very good service at my local Autozone so in fairness I'd like to tell you about that.

The ignition module went out on my old F150, and I remembered having replaced it some years back. It supposedly had a lifetime warranty so I figured I'd find out just how many hoops I had to jump through to get a free replacement.

I didn't have a receipt but they always ask for my phone number "for warranty purposes", so I figured they could look it up.

My first surprise was when I put the old module on the counter and the young lady waiting on me knew what it was without me telling her. I told her it was dead and asked if she could access the warranty by my phone number.

She could and did. Turned out I'd bought it in 2004. She then looked at the store inventory and said they had one in stock. She went back and got it, had me sign for it and sent me on my way.

I'll admit I thought I'd have to fight, with them first asking how did I know it was bad, then giving me a hard time about not having the receipt, but I was in and out in minutes.

Now that's good customer service in my book.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

It certainly is!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

As an employee there, I'm happy to hear about your positive experience with Auto Zone. There are plenty of bad stories out there about chain auto parts stores, but there's still plenty of helpful, knowledgeable, parts guys & gals out there. I know several I've worked with that have over 20 years of experience in auto parts.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Even if you did still have the receipt, they wouldn't be able to read it, because the print would've faded away...

I bought a pair of hatch struts for my old '82 from them, back in '92 or '93. I returned them about 10 years later, when they got weak - but at that time, AZ had upgraded the computers, and the info was no longer there. Luckily I still had that receipt, and it was legible enough that I walked out with some new hatch struts!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I have another story much like yours from last year...and is why I always use the Zone now when I have the chance. I was replacing an alt. on a '65 Mustang for a buddy, who had just acquired the car from his dad's estate. Took it to the Zone and the guy said it was their brand and probably under lifetime warranty. He asked me the name or phone #, so I gave him my buddy's dad's name...who would have put it on back in the day. Sure enough, there it was in the computer from the late 90's. So they swapped it out right there no charge!

What I find amazing about this is not just the customer service, but with all the computer and software changes you figure they have gone through over the years...that they still have such accurate records at their finger tips!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Never have had a bad experience at the Zone.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

As long as auto zone has the part in stock I've never had any major issues. Few times they didnt want to take back a return when a part didnt fit, but they usually square me right away.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I live five minutes from an AutoZone and I buy the majority of my parts from them. With five cars to maintain and only one of them new (the rest are 1998 and older), that means a lot of auto parts. They've always been good to me and I've never had a bad experience with them. My only complaint is that they don't have everything you need when it comes to fuel line fittings, exhaust manifold studs, and other small items like that. But then again, most people have newer cars and probably don't need to replace things like that. I understand that they need to stock the parts that sell and not the ones that don't. That's how they pay their bills and make money.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38