Close

Default no electrical to 84 mustang gt tb fuel injection fuel pumps

84 mustang gt, 5.0, at, convertible that sat for two yrs. previously running well. attempted to start it today, but no go. no gas getting to tbfi. will run w/gas poured into tb unit. no fuses chk bad in fuse box. no electric to either of the fuel pumps. think there must be another fuse somewhere that's bad, but cannot fine it. did chk the inertia switch, and it is good. where is/are the fuel pump(s) fuse(s) located?
    note that this was the first year of fi for mustang.
    thanks in advance for the help

FEP Senior Member

If it's like any of the later FI cars, there will be a relay. They used to be under the drivers seat or in the engine compartment by the starter solenoid. The fuel injection works off of the ignition system. If it doesn't work neither will the fuel. I also think the EEC relay powers the fuel pump relay. So they both use the same fuse.

Default 84 mustang gt no go fuel

so I have an 84 gt, 5.0, at, convertible w/throttle body injection. was running fine, but sat for a couple of years. now, I get spark, but no fuel. it will run if I pour gas in, but I am getting no fuel to the tbi from the fuel pumps. on advice from others, I chk'd the relay and sure enough, power in but not out. p/n on original ford relay is:E3EB934192A, which my ford dealer tells me has been discontinued. note that this is a 4 pin connection. all other auto parts stores show only a 5 pin relay, which doesn't work. anybody have any ideas on how to get this car running? anyone have a good electrical schematic of the fuel system, which I believe is special to the first year tbi.
    thanks for any help

does the 84 have the accident shutoff switch? If so it would be located in the rear quarter panel accessed from the interior of the trunk.

Try the simple stuff before tearing anything apart.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

If it's the relay, junkyard would be a good place to get a genuine OEM Ford piece. You can test it in the yard, with a 9V battery and a continuity meter.
    Meanwhile if you feel confident enough, using a jumper wire to connect the two secondary circuit terminals at the relay socket, should allow you to further test the system until a working relay can be procured.

If the problem is no power to the relay socket, then you probably need to look at wiring or fuses or fusible links.

Do you think that the pump might've seized from sitting, and is now overwhelming the circuit with resistance?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

No voltage out of the fuel pump relay could mean it's not being energized by the ECU, or the relay coil
    may not be receiving voltage.

The relay coil is fed voltage off the ECU power relay, through the inertia switch in the trunk, through the
    small red/black hash wire to the relay. The ECU energizes the relay by providing a ground on the small
    tan/light green dot wire.

Don't presume the ECU is receiving power, or is functional, because the engine runs when you pour gas
    down the throttle body. The ignition system only uses the ECU for timing control, so the engine can fire
    even if the ECU is not operational.

If there's no power to the fuel pump relay coil, first thing I would check is the inertia switch, but a close
    second would be to make sure the red wire on the ECU power relay is hot when the ignition is on. The
    ECU relay coil is fed from the same circuit that provides power to the ignition system.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune