Close

Red face A new SROD option for guys over 55 years!

I'll be 68 going on 18 this summer, so making the car "mature-friendly" is a constant, especially when it comes to under-car maintenance, like filling the SROD's gear oil. I'll guess that the T5 trans has a similar fill-plug.

Mine came with a V8 C4 automatic. In 2007, I swapped in a fresh 3.3L I6, with a C4. This restoration, my baby got an SROD. Nice and simple under the car, but the filler plug looked like a challenge that I didn't like at all. So I marked and drilled a 1/8" hole from below, and then drilled a 3/4" hole from inside the car, so I could use a 3/4" rubber plug - soft rubber, thick plug.

I have the full console from a 1981 Capri, so it couldn't be too high from the floor on the tunnel's passenger side.

All I have to do is open the tranny plug, stick my baby finger in, and feel where the oil is, or, to change it, drain it with a suction pump, add a 12" hose to my new gear lube, peel the carpet back, and FILL 'ER UP!

Here's a pic of the plug location:

Name:  NewFoxSRODOption_1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  57.9 KB
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Thought of doing that too.
    Using same plug or even a larger oval floor pan one.
    Or cut a large access hole to see whats going on and screw a plate over the hole.
    Maybe this year...

Also thought about drilling a fill hole in the shifter base plate in the flat open space (T-5) aft of the shifter.
    Use same rubber plug or tap oil pan plug.
    But heck the whole shifter base can be unbolted at this point and fluid pored straight in.

Filling with a funnel from the engine compartment takes all day using a smaller dia hose than the fill hole to let air in.

Nice they added drain plugs to the newer manual trans with cast in markings to id the drain and fill plug.

Worse is rear axle fill. Another access, under the seat, would be very handy.
    Actually that was the first area i thought this could be done, but never heard anyone doing that.
    Wonder why? Take to quick oil change or dealer?
    Of course i assume a prefill on swaps.
    When i had the RAD trans, no way would i change and fill it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Thought of doing that too.
    Using same plug or even a larger oval floor pan one.
    Or cut a large access hole to see whats going on and screw a plate over the hole.
    Maybe this year...

Also thought about drilling a fill hole in the shifter base plate in the flat open space (T-5) aft of the shifter.
    Use same rubber plug or tap oil pan plug.
    But heck the whole shifter base can be unbolted at this point and fluid pored straight in.

Filling with a funnel from the engine compartment takes all day using a smaller dia hose than the fill hole to let air in.

Nice they added drain plugs to the newer manual trans with cast in markings to id the drain and fill plug.

Worse is rear axle fill. Another access, under the seat, would be very handy.
    Actually that was the first area i thought this could be done, but never heard anyone doing that.
    Wonder why? Take to quick oil change or dealer?
    Of course i assume a prefill on swaps.
    When i had the RAD trans, no way would i change and fill it myself.
    My buddy has an Automatic Fairmont wagon with the fill tube, as I did. It was bad when the 302 was in there, and almost as bad with the I6. Getting past the AC and heater hoses, the air cleaner, etc.

The Axle Refill is really easier on a DANA 44

Just to go Mexico and get one from any V8 Fox. Most of them have the trac-lok too. Comes with a nice fill plug.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Default Works like magic!

So I got my gear oil - Quaker State 75-90 - 4 litres. The manual says it takes 3 US pints. Almost 3 litres up here.

First I dug out my latest funnel. It was great for filling the C4. Got past the AC lines just fine. I already picked out a transparent piece of hose (I think its for aquariums but Home Depot carries it.) I left it its full length (about 3 feet).

To prevent any oil from leaking at the hose and funnel base, I took some Emory paper and cleaned out the funnel and the first inch of the hose, then wiped them with Acetone. Next I slipped the hose in, leaving a foot above the rim of the funnel, and put a ring of silicone about 3/8" below the end, and about an 1/8" thick. I pulled it down slowly, avoiding any rubbing on the inside of the funnel, until it was about 1/16" above the bottom collar of the hole. I then put about the same amount of silicone, on the outside, where the hose and funnel meet. I let it dry for an hour.

Name:  SRODFilling_001.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  57.3 KB

Went inside the car, passenger side, and pulled back the carpet and underlay, and my new filler plug, and passed the hose down about 8 inches:

Name:  SRODFilling_002.jpg
Size:  68.1 KB

Went under and loosened the plug. Pulled the hose into the transmission fill hole.

Name:  SRODFilling_003.jpg
Size:  65.3 KB

Went up top and marked the hose with black tape, pulled it out and put a 1.5" hose clamp at the tape so it can't go further down. If it goes too far, there's no air to let the oil pass down. It was maybe a 1/2" inside the neck of the hole.

Name:  SRODFilling_004.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  SRODFilling_005.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  118.1 KB

No drips below or inside the car.

It took me about 15 minutes, from start to finish. Took me longer to post this.