Close

Thread: Loose shifter

Default Loose shifter

The shifter in my pacecar is very sloppy when shifting. I realize that it is a supposedly rebuilt srod 4speed so it is old school but the fact is it feels like shifting a old 4 speed truck. I had a srod in my 82 Capri so I am familiar with the trans. The actual mechanical works feel fine but the shifter is very sloppy. I remember a plastic bushing right below the shifter that had a tendency to fall apart. I have not removed anything yet so I am just looking for a little advice. I want to keep the 4 speed but I am really not happy with the shifting situation.

2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Makes a WORLD of difference!!

I am going to order one today. The way that tranny shifts is just terrible. Thanks for the source of the part.

I got the new bushing. Took console out and shifter and replaced old bushing. Old bushing was not in bad shape. Upon further inspection the 2 5/8 bolts that hold the shifter assembly to the tailhousing were finger loose. They were stripped so thus the whole piece as moving around alot. So I tightened them as well as possible and reassembled the console etc. Now the shifter is all wacked out. I can put it in first gear but have to pull real hard to get it to release and second gear is almost impossible to find. Third is no problem but 4th is gone. What in the heck have I done to this SROD tranny? I am figuring something is out of alignment. ?????

Drilled and tapped the 2 shifter assembly mounts, what a pain, and put in new bolts and now everything is tight as it should be. Oh and yes the new bushing made a big difference. Car shifts almost like a new 1979 Mustang would. Notice I said almost.

Glad you got her fixed up.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home