Close

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

This past Saturday I took the WideFox out for its 2nd Cars & Coffee event in town. No issues other than the hesitation in the RPM band, but at a steady cruise it does just fine. It's only when it's warmed up, so I'm going to guess maybe the coil is the issue. I'll get a replacement for the MSD on the car, since it sat for two years moving from cabinet to cabinet in the garage and I really have no idea when it was put on the last car before this one. They are relatively inexpensive to replace.

I had two people come look at the car because they had seen pictures of it on Facebook and hoped I would bring it out. I talked to a few people about doing some wrap work, and maybe that will pick up a few extra things. I have a Chevy Avalanche to do in the next few weeks when I have enough time, so I'm going to be full in the garage with 3 cars in a 2 car garage.

Beyond that I'm getting the garage ready to get the '86 hatch in for teardown after SEMA in a couple weeks. Winter is coming!

Name:  1013181226a_HDR.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  308.8 KB
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Senior Member

I haven't done a whole lot on the widebody since SEMA almost 2 months ago. I vinyl wrapped a Chevy Avalanche, which took most of my free time in November. It was done a few days after Thanksgiving, and the owner picked it up and immediately drove it to Arizona for the winter months. December was more working on little things around the farm before it was too cold to work outside. That day finally came, and I've been tinkering in the garage a few nights here and there.

I did buy some carpet, floor mats, and scuff plates for the WideFox. It took me a couple nights to get them all put in, but I'm happy with the finished product. I just need to finish up the dash work and get the dash back in for the car to be 100% together. I'm going to update the suspension this year to make the car able to handle some autocross. PanHard Bar, rear control arms, new springs, etc. I want to get at least one more year out of the 5.0L + 5-speed before I think about changing it to a 351W based combination.

I've started to work on the '86. I took the dash out to look at some of the vacuum lines, and plan to replace the heater core since it's available. No need to leave the old one there with the dash out of the way, right? I plan to vinyl wrap it, plus clean up the interior before selling it this summer if I have it done. I'm leaving the v6 drivetrain alone as it runs (or will run) when I get the fuel system cleaned out.

Beyond that, it appears I have a '66 El Camino to put back together over the next 3 months as a surprise for my father-in-law. He's had it in pieces for about 14 years, and never seems to get to it. I'd like to have it done by April 1st.

I thought about building another widebody, but think I'll pass. There is a '90 4-cylinder coupe about 2 hours from me that would be a good base car to start on. With the '86 and El camin, plus a little widebody work already, I just don't think I'll have the time or funds for another complete build.

Name:  new carpet.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  214.2 KB
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

I'm back at the widebody again after the holidays and finally got around to putting a new hood insulator on. I wanted something a little different so Design Engineering sent me two of their three options to try out. I used the black cloth option, and am pretty happy with the end result. Easy to cut with scissors or a razor blade and it's adhesive backed to stick right on there.

Name:  hood insulator.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  51.8 KB

After that was done I've been working on the dash vacuum lines and wiring to get the interior 100% back in. Vacuum lines are now figured out and they work. Where I'm struggling is the blower motor. It's new, but I didn't replace the resistor. I'm wondering if I should have replaced it. I never used the blower when I bought the car, so I don't know if it ever worked. I'm going to replace it just to have a new one in there. No need to go back in later if this one works and fails later. I am trying to find a new set of gauges since the oil pressure gauge is dead, a new set of A/C controls since mine are pretty worn out, and a new temp control cable. I can't find mine, but I don't rememebr taking it out originally either. I realized last night that my floor vent duct work is missing (or it was when I bought the car). Once I have that done the car will be complete.

So... That means it's time to start taking it apart again for more mods, right? I am going to put some H&R springs in it to replace the Eibach I have now. That will set the ride height, so I can work on a panhard bar later, rear spacers (if needed), and get my Cobra R bumper fit up. I need to fix a coolant leak on the engine now (just showed up this week) and a PS rack leak (showed up last week). Sadness, but everything is 25 years old.
    Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 01-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Carpet video went live this morning. I started assembling the dash last night, but didn't get too far.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Just trying to catch up on videos of the build here...

A couple weeks ago I installed a Design Engineering Under Hood Insulation kit to the hood on the widebody. This is for the picture above that I showed on January 10th (two post ago).

Then after the carpet was in I needed to get the rest of the interior in. That is a simple(ish) process to put eveything back in. Thankfully I have the '86 next to the widebody in the garage so I could compare cars when a question came up. Once I figured out that I needed a new set of controls, the temperature control cable, and wanted a new oil pressure gauge, the next step was to go in search of thise pieces.

The last two weeks on the widebody have been busy, but I've finally finished the interior for now. This all the original interior, no restoration but cleaned up. I added a dual USB power port with a voltage readout in place of the lighter. I put the radio from the '92 I scavenged in. It was new 3 years ago, but now doesn't work well. I may need to replace it. I did vinyl wrap the two main pieces, but what I didn't realize is that the '85 isn't exactly like the '80 gauge cover. The top center screw mount isn't in the same location on the '85. Guess I'll wrap another one out of the '79 Capri I have in the garage.

Name:  0129191537_HDR.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  306.4 KB

From this point I just need a new dash pad to finish the interior and then I can move on to other details for 2019. I need to fix a leak on the front of the engine (timing cover to block) and then a power steering leak on the rack & pinion body.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Here's the last bit of the interior work until I buy a dash pad. Looks like there's a good discussion on the interior thread section over which to buy.

I'll move on to the wheel well liners next, then maybe some new springs and fixing the leaks in the engine bay.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Since my widebody is way more street car than a track car, finding dirt and rocks in every nook and cranny after driving is plain irritating. Even the track guys have said they get buildup of rubber in the doors and fenders. I have kept in my head that I wanted to build a set of inner fenders out of the two sets I had in storage. It kinda worked out like I had in my head.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Occasionally I get questions on why I went with normal suspension instead of going with an aftermarket K-member and coilovers. I've never shown a close-up of all my suspension, so I took a few minutes to explain how it all fits together. It may help those that want a widebody, but don't want to exactly follow my path to get there.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

I thought for this year I'd spice up the exterior and try two styles of wraps on the wheels. I don't like either of them, so I have a third I will try this weekend. The best part is that I can change them to any color I want in the future.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

My timing cover started to drip coolant over Winter, so I took the cover off to replace the gasket. That lead to removing the oil pan, and I figured I might as well change the weeping rear main seal while I'm at it. I thought I could do it all in the car, but gave up two days ago and just pulled the engine out completely. It will make installing a new steering rack easier before the engine goes back in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last major thing to do with the widebody for this year and I can just put some miles on it wearing in the tires. I probably only put 350 miles on it last year. The clutch isn't technically broke in yet.

Name:  engine out.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  hood off.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  90.3 KB

One other thing I did was to put a new dash pad in the car. This completes the interior finally. it's a Dashes Direct brand. Fit is good, and no real drama putting it on.

Name:  new dash pad.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  69.2 KB
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

After having the engine out, it's all back in and I'll try to fire it today after another once over to check everything is connected. No drama putting it back in the car. When I did the harness and all the connections, I planned it to be somewhat modular. I could just disconnect the harness and the engine would come out very easily. That was the case, and it made it very easy to put back in. The harness just lays down on the engine and every connection is as long as it needs to be. It makes it very easy and straight forward.

Name:  fire up.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  125.0 KB