Close

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

There is a ton of potential for a wrap business. There's a guy here in Memphis that only does color changes. But if you want to really knock out the business, designing custom wraps is where it's at. You'd need Illustrator or something similar and a latex wide format printer. We had a HP latex and it was awesome. We used Illustrator and Onyx Poster Shop. Our guy was a superb design/creator. He did a lot of food trucks and the best one I saw him create from scratch was a full wrap for a full size GM van for a guy doing mobile oil changes.

Even if you don't do the creating and printing of custom wraps, just doing the color change wraps is a pretty profitable gig.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    There is a ton of potential for a wrap business... Even if you don't do the creating and printing of custom wraps, just doing the color change wraps is a pretty profitable gig.
    I have thought about doing the design work for custom projects, but that's as far as I've gotten. I have only taken a class and wrapped small things so far, but once I have wrapped both of my Mustangs and Suburbans (total of 4 vehicles), I think I'll have something to show for my work. At this point it's all just talk. There is supposedly a sign shop in my town that has a 60" printer and design capability. I have briefly talked to them abotu just installing for them, but that was before I took the class. I will go talk to them again soon and maybe try to just install for them when they need someone.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Senior Member

One of the things that I've been itching to do was wrap the dash in the same 3M carbon fiber wrap that I used on the exterior trim. One of the warning lights on my original 1980 dash was broken, so I picked up a 1985 GT pieces from the salvage yard a while ago and tucked it away. The passenger side is my original piece. This took my a couple hours to get it in all the recesses on each part. A couple of small mistakes, but nothing that I can't live with and I have a little more experience for the future.

Name:  wrapped dash.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  231.6 KB

Another thing that I've been wanting to do was to align the trunk and get it set to the rear quarter panels. It's always shut hard because the striker was too low. That's been fixed, and it took longer to video for YouTube than it did to do the actual work.

Name:  trunk aligned.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  97.9 KB

The big job this weekend was getting the last of the wiring for the ECM integrated into the 1980 car. I must have spent 4 hours yesterday going over diagrams back and forth chasing little lines page to page. But it is finally done. The last few wires are from the ECM to the gauges and then the reverse lights. The ECM clicks the relays, tries to prime the fuel system, and the car will start via the key (it was bypassed when I bought it). I am waiting on a couple pieces this week from RockAuto to finish up the fuel system, then I can add fuel into the tank. I will get some coolant in the car and then measure for a new serpentine belt. Maybe, just maybe, it will try to start by the end of this week.

Name:  finished ecm.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  331.3 KB
    Join The Conversation

I like the dash panels....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

Another week of progress, but still didn't get the car fired up. Dash panels were wrapped as I showed previously, I have the final color picked out for the WideFox, and then the car wouldn't start. Maybe today I will get it. I'm going to get out in the garage today and start doing some more diagnosis work.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

So with two weeks in a row of not getting the car started, I was starting to lose hope. I could finally get the ECM to turn on after figured out I had a bad switched 12V source. With that rectified, I couldn't get the car to fire. It first started with the TFI module not sending a PIP signal to the ECM telling it to fire. I thought it might be the TFI module itself had gone bad. I replaced it, and the signal got a little better but still wouldn't be consistent. I finally figured out that the hall effect sensor wasn't consistently reading the reulctor wheel passing through it. With that fixed, BOOM. We have ignition.

That just left me with a few things to button up, which is this week's goal. Get them done and some miles on the car before a show this weekend. It's going to be close. I'm fighting a brake connection to seal up. If I get it done, I'll get the car road worthy.

One thing I'm constantly asked about is the cost of certain pieces or what the car took to build it. With needing a replacement value for insurance, I totalled up the recipts of what it would cost (at retail value) to build again. Time is rarely included, and justifying 500-600 hours of labor is a hard discussion to have. With adding up the receipts, I figured I'd put together a quick summary of the car to date. I call it Phase 1.

Join The Conversation

That's pretty reasonable investment for what you've done. I'm into my car for much much much more.

I watched the video last night, my guess wouldn't have been as high as you indicated. But some of the parts I had no idea (like the wide body kit) and didn't even think of the rims and tires.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

With the car starting and the value set for replacement insurance, it was time to get the car driving. I was having trouble with the rear hard line connection to the rear rubber line above the differential. I tried three sets of new copper washers to no avail. Mikestang86 suggested to heat them with a torch and let them air cool. I tried it and after torquing them twice they finally sealed. No leaks after 60 miles of test driving. I took it for a test drive last Thursday after a quick fluid check and garage alignment. About 9 miles in total. I found the parking brake cables were touching the tires a bit, so those had to be moved a little to clear the tires.

Saturday I took it to a car show about 25 miles away. I entered in in the "Under Construction" category. It was a great day, but it was HOT. 95 degrees and it exposed a couple areas to fix. Headliner delaminated a bit and a couple bubbles on my vinyl work. Nothing terrible, and I'll get them redone before I put the car back together. I ended up winning the class and have an "award winning" car now.

One issue I'm still working on is a stutter / breakup issue when the car is hot. Both days I drove it were 95 degrees and the mufflers dump at the axle. It will lug along find at less than 2,000 rpms. If you try to go more RPMs than that when hot, it starts to stumble. It doesn't do it when the car is cold. I'm guessing a fuel issue right now because the fuel filter is hanging a little lower and the muffler is just heating it up the more I drive it. I found the OEM filter bracket, so that will go back on and I'm wrapping the lines to try to cut the heat down a bit. This heat is finding the worst case scenario issues, and once fixed it should be able to get through a full year without any issues. I'm sure an autocross will be a torture and I need to get it all sorted out before next year.

Name:  car show.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  show award.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  70.3 KB

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

So last week I went to a car show. It was seriously hot at 95 degrees, but was nice to show off the car for a little bit. It's now back in the garage in pieces again while I'm sanding and getting ready for the vinyl wrap this week.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

It's time to prepare for the vinyl wrap, and that means every piece of trim needs to come off the car again. It's getting pretty easy to take everything off, so the car was stripped pretty quickly.

The stripping part was done about a week ago, and then I've sanded the complete car down to 1,500 grit level. It came out well, and I could almost go with the patina look and just a clearcoat over the finished body and rough paint. Once that was done, I've started the wrap. The hood and cowl vent panel are done with a graphic section, while the main car will be done with a color shifting vinyl. For the first few months of the car being in public, I want it to stop people in their tracks. The widebody on its own was a good test at the car show. I think wrapping it would be just as good for impact. The hood and cowl are meant to grab your eyeballs and make you stop to look at the car. Some will like it, some will absolutely think it's terrible and ruins the car. It's meant to elicit a response. I may do a custom panel later on the hood specific to the car.

Name:  0807181830_HDR.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  309.8 KB

Name:  0808181834_HDR.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  337.9 KB

Name:  pass door vinyl.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  92.4 KB