Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Latest round of work was to finish up the interior prep for laying out the wiring harnesses.

I had some great weather this past weekend, so I drug out a lot of oily parts from the garage and cleaned them up with degreaser and a pressure washer. I've also been working on the taillights following Trey's method that he posted a while ago. I had an issue with the driver's taillight, but was able to fix it this weekend.

Name:  1015171253_HDR.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  472.5 KB

Name:  1015171652_HDR.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  taillight.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  255.4 KB
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Senior Member

This week's video is installing and adjusting the front passenger fender. It fits poorly, so I will definitely have a lot of little things to do to make it fit right.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

This was so hard to do and I'm glad it's done on this side. Almost ready to put this flare back on permanently.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Today I released the taillight lense and housing refresh video on YouTube.

This weekend is was cold and snowing, so I spent a good amount in the garage. Saturday I completed the OEM fuel door on the Maier Racing flare and then permanently mounted it. I used a 275 tire I had in the garage to see how much suspension room I could have. I never wanted to put airbags n the car, but sitting that low is interesting.

Name:  1104171659a_HDR.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  235.2 KB

Then Sunday I worked to assemble my 8.8 rear axle with 97 GT 5-lug axles and disc brakes.
    Join The Conversation

Looks great! I have to admit that I don't usually watch the videos (lack of time), but I enjoy seeing the pic updates.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Looks great! I have to admit that I don't usually watch the videos (lack of time), but I enjoy seeing the pic updates.
    It's mixed on what everyone does. I have some that immediately watch the videos to see what was done, some that watch later in the week, and then I get a rush of people that see one picture and binge watch a lot of content. I'm happy that you take a minute to check out the pictures. Every little bit makes it fun.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Here's this week's video on the small details.

I put the complete rear suspension in the car this weekend, so I just have to get the driver's rear flare on and then I can measure for custom wheels on the back half of the car. I'll get the 94/95 spindles cleaned up and put on the car and then get the front assembled too.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

A couple weeks ago I completed a refeesh on my fuel tank. Scrubbed the exterior with a detail brush to knock loose dirt and surface rust. I then painted it with a rust encapsulator to protect the surface for another few years.

This weekend it was pretty cold, but I did manage to tear up my coupe a little more. The other rear flare is almost done. I still need to remove the bodyside molding residue and repaint the bottom half of the door.

Name:  coupe flare.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  driver flare.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  79.3 KB
    Join The Conversation

Love the flares - great work!!!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

In Oregon, we don't pump our own gas. I didn't want to have an attendant pump gas down in the flare by having a funky gas door, so I installed the OEM door onto the widebody flare. It just took a little time to figure out where to cut the metal and how to mount the door.

Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 11-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

I swapped my 8.8" rearend to 5-lug using axles and brake hardware from a 1997 GT. The longer axles don't bother me because I have to buy new wheels anyway with the widebody setup. Let me know if I missed anything during the video.

Join The Conversation

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Love the flares - great work!!!
    Me too. Its very easy to get the whole part wrong on flares.

Down here, all the big Fords had enough wheel arch to fit 275/45 VR 16 tires for 1984-1992 Production Group A racing, but from 1974 to 1983, the smaller L cars and V cars from GM had no space for really big wheels, so fiberglass gaurd flares where used.

in the SL/R 5000 L34,A9X SS 5.0 Toranas

5-1/2 inches from tip to body on a downwad curve.

The Mustang and all Foxes were designed around making 245 and 275 section tires fit without running Cologne Capri gaure flares

See the difference here, both with 25" tall, 265 section tires.

and HD/T Commodores.

The standard issue had always been, even with IRS in the HD/T Monza 5.0,

there wasn't the sapace to go above 235/60 16 tires and so the sedan Group C or Group 3 gaurd flares were the only way forward

Other attempts were made on the Torana Hatch, and they ended up looking bad....
    How to make 1 of the best looking Torana's look f@cking hideous in 1 simple step

FEP Senior Member

This week I'm showing the driver's rear flare. Thankfully I learned all the mistakes not to repeat on the passenger side flare. The fun part, well beyond building something I've dreamed about for a couple years, is the viewer's reaction. Most love it, but I've had a few that say I'm "ruining my Mustang".

I did have a couple local guys come over this week to see the car. I'm starting the engine bay harness and they wanted to offer advice on the subject. I think they just wanted to see the car. They have watched the build on YouTube and Facebook, and now have seen the car in person. One said, "I've never really liked the widebody look, and hated the external fasteners. I'm sold. Please finish this damn car!" The other said, "I've watched your videos and seen all the pictures. Oh my gawd they don't do this car justice." I guess I'm on the right path to turn some heads next year.
    Join The Conversation

Don't worry about the naysayers, build what you want to build. There are lots of really nice near original foxes around, modifying one is not sacrilege. Since what you started with was a pretty ordinary and less than pristine car, what you're doing is much better than allowing it to have been parted out or left to rot away. My car could be just as easily criticized for what I've turned it into, but the overwhelming majority approve. Keep on with your vision.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Don't worry about the naysayers, build what you want to build. There are lots of really nice near original foxes around, modifying one is not sacrilege. Since what you started with was a pretty ordinary and less than pristine car, what you're doing is much better than allowing it to have been parted out or left to rot away. My car could be just as easily criticized for what I've turned it into, but the overwhelming majority approve. Keep on with your vision.
    X2.

Factory flared Mustangs were often not that pretty. The factory flared GM cars, considerably less so.

Keep your vision, and enjoy it.

Ed, I like your non standard big a$$ tail pipes.

The old timers found dual pipes with the mufflers after the axle and mini tubs or flares was the best way to make small block K membered unibody Henries meet handling and performance objectives.

Ugly or Beautiful, they are all about execution, not peoples opinions before its done.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words! I will get this car done this year, at least to the point of driving it around. I still have a long list of things I want to do, and that will most likely take me at least another year to get done to my satisfaction. It's been an adventure so far and 99% of the people that see it are intrigued by it. But the 1% that hate it really are quite entertaining. I can't wait to get the reactions at shows soon.